Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Is ARTPOP a dark album?

Gaga Ate My Ass

Featured Posts

Pain of fame1

Yes. It's dark in it's core.

Gaga has channeled all her pain and sadnees in the album and I feel like she tried to kind of.. make fun of it all and make it into a happy, dance pop record.. but she failed.  Intentionally or not, I don't know. It's raw, sad, almost heartbroken. Songs like Aura and Swine, Mary Jane Holland, Dope just leave me emotionally confused. Even the acoustic version of Applause sounds almost like a tragedy.

There's just something really off with the album. 

​Off? why?

ShockPop

The music isnt... but then you look at the lyrics and the story behind the tracks...

Rape, addiction, d--g abuse as escapism, being targeted by the media, potentially never finding love due to life on the road, religious repression of women, being misunderstood, an obsession with s-x...

Its pretty dark...

Swan Heart

​Off? why?

​I'm not saying it as a bad thing. Not at all, ARTPOP is actually my favourite album Gaga has made.

But I feel like it's just not like how it was supposed to be. I feel like she wanted ARTPOP to be possitive and fun album, that celebrates happiness and love.. but it's just not that. I don't feel it. It's just broken and raw. 

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

monsterdreams

It has some dark undertones, yes 

Haters gonna need more than a flashlight for my shade

Tropico

ARTPOP simply cannot be defined as either dark or happy.It's just got so many different colours, tones and meanings to it to be one or the other. I feel it certainly has dark aspects of darkness as heard in Dope and Swine. But then there's these absolute euphoric moments like Venus and Fashion!. Overall, I'd just call the album artistic.

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Fiona Apple

It isn't a dark album even tho it has some very dark moments.. It's x100 times darker than Prism tho :awkney:

Bradley

No to me, like ShockPop said, the stories and the message behind the tracks are, the melody isn't.

Bradley

The music isnt... but then you look at the lyrics and the story behind the tracks...

Rape, addiction, d--g abuse as escapism, being targeted by the media, potentially never finding love due to life on the road, religious repression of women, being misunderstood, an obsession with s-x...

Its pretty dark...

​This

Archived