Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
other

Marina and the Diamonds cynical about artists who pander LGBT community

Monster2015

Featured Posts

blacklistedd

Her opinion is relevant because? I could care less what she says or thinks.... It's better to stand for something than nothing, if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything. 

​Pandering to the gay community for fans isn't standing for something.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blacklistedd

Gaga definitely overdid/overdoes it with the "I only had gay friends when I went to high school" lies and her absurd 2009 quote: "The gays just understand me better than anyone else. They see crazy costumes and glitter and they see the beauty in it." + "my gays" during her shows. Other artists (Beyoncé for instance) don't get away with these things in this fanbase, so the double standard is there for sure.

But I will say that at least she was honest about it (at one point). In a forgotten 2009 interview she basically admitted to only support her gay fans because they made her famous and she didn't want to just drop them after actually becoming it, which is a totally acceptable motive imo.

​God you're so cynical and you're always reaching for the negative to see in her. Its annoying and your views on her are so warped. Theres partial truth in your point of view but you take it to such a negative extreme that you lose objectivity.

"I only had gay friends in high school" isn't mean to be taken literally. I mean come on dude, im sure she had a lot of gay friends, thats essentially what she meant. She could not have literally only had gay friends. That shouldn't need to be spelled out for you.

She said something to that effect in regards to the interview from 2009 you are referencing, but it wasn't at all as cutthroat as you're making it out to be.

Kacey Elizabeth

Firework is a break up song that was construed into a gay pride song because she showed two guys kissing in the video. And its promo era was after the BTW announcement.

What are you talking about? How is it a break song? Katy wrote that song with the purpose so that people who listen to the song know and find their inner spark and let themselves shine. it is a empowerment anthem and has been recognized as such by anyone with common sense. Give me ONE verse in the song where it addresses break up ALONE. The fact that it's video showed two guys kissing speaks for itself that Katy always wanted to support the LGBT community. She even dedicated the video to transgender people. "promo era was after the BTW announcement" what is that even supposed to mean? Was that intended to sound clever and smart?

Your Candy Perfume Girl

blacklistedd

If this is about Gaga then I wouldn't be surprised since she talked **** about her on her blog or sthm back in '09.

I rarely ever read interviews with Marina because she always ends up annoying me :sweat: 

​No. Back in 2009 she, and I think plenty of other female artists, grew tired of Gaga comparisons and constantly being asked about her in interviews. Its something Marina expressed in an interview in 2010. Its not that she disliked her at that time, she actually stated she respected her and found her to be an authentic artist/person, but whose supposed "weirdness" had yet to actually come out in what she does. She had criticisms of her output but overall there was a respect there. Eventually, when Marina started dropping some of her own pretension against being branded a pop star and started embracing the title, I think she grew even more of a respect for her. Of course, we all know how much she loves Madonna so that to me im sure plays a part in her apprehension.

I can say with 99% certainty this quote is not aimed towards Lady Gaga.

Kacey Elizabeth

Remember that Born This Way announced way back in September 2010 with MASSIVE media attention. Firework didn't become a single until 6 weeks later, same goes to We R Who We R. While I believe that Kesha is actually honest about how she cares about the LGBT community, Katy's attempt to create a "self-acceptance anthem" was just a mere try to have some of the cake that had already baked. How dare some of you forget how long we waited for Born This Way, how dare you forget that we knew the f*cking chorus 6 months before the song came out.

I suggest you to do some research. Ever since the release of Teenage Dream and when Katy was promoting the album from May-September (before the VMAs, where Gaga announced Born This Way), she was always talking about Firework and wanted to make it a official single. 

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Kacey Elizabeth

I doubt she's talking about Gaga, somehow. Gaga was the really genuine one who started the trend and a lot of un-genuine people followed, so I think it's the followers she's referring to. I can definitely agree with what she's saying. Although she doesn't state specifics, I think there's two incidence she's referring to when she says this.

One of them is claiming a song is about supporting the gays after its release. I think Kesha's We R Who We R is the best example of this. It's clearly a song about getting ready for a night out, of any gender, but a while after its release, she started to say it was about LGBT support and the people in the song are gays going out. She later performed with a bunch of male soldiers in heels for live promo (this was shortly after Alejandro had been released, so it seemed like a major Gaga rip-off). The whole thing stank of using Gaga's tactics to get gay support and it just came off as phoney and try-hard.

And the other much worse incidence of exploiting gays for sales is the trend of new female artists announcing themselves as bis-xual. This would normally be something you'd wait until later to reveal for fear it would ruin your career but females like Nicki Minaj and Jessie J were coming fresh out the gate claiming to be bi and being totally open and unapologetic about it. Which was all well and good until it emerged that both of them were lying about it to get attention. They admitted to it. Jessie's admittance was the worst as she couldn't seem to stop bringing up how she wasn't really bi, she was completely straight, as if we didn't get the message the first time. This played a huge role in the disbandment of her largely LGBT fanbase and why she can't get a hit or a soldout tour anymore. And then you've also got people like Katy Perry who made a song about kissing girls to gain a hit through controversy despite never having gone through such an experience.

At the end of the day, I can't bear to see people who have had to deal with the trials and tribulations of being non-hetero being so trivialised by singers now. Songs like I Kissed A Girl suggest that all girls are naturally bicurious and if they do experiment, it's means nothing and won't lead to a relationship. This is the exact stereotype a lot of lesbians have been trying to end for years and only fuels the idea of "gay love isn't real." And singers lying about being bi suggests that bis-xuals are all attention seekers and just want to play into male fantasies, which is, again, another harmful stereotype. When there are people being bullied, disowned by their parents and are even committing suicide over their s-xual orientation, you cannot exploit them to sell a few extra copies of your album. And I say this as a heteros-xual.

No. There is a picture of Katy taken way before she became famous (and probably before she wrote and recorded I Kissed A Girl), where she is making out with Bonnie McKee.

Your Candy Perfume Girl

Cody Draco

No. There is a picture of Katy taken way before she became famous (and probably before she wrote and recorded I Kissed A Girl), where she is making out with Bonnie McKee.

​This?

Didymus

​God you're so cynical and you're always reaching for the negative to see in her. Its annoying and your views on her are so warped. Theres partial truth in your point of view but you take it to such a negative extreme that you lose objectivity.

"I only had gay friends in high school" isn't mean to be taken literally. I mean come on dude, im sure she had a lot of gay friends, thats essentially what she meant. She could not have literally only had gay friends. That shouldn't need to be spelled out for you.

She said something to that effect in regards to the interview from 2009 you are referencing, but it wasn't at all as cutthroat as you're making it out to be.

Negative extreme?

Not objective?

Cutthroat?

You got serious issues with reading **** into my posts. I'm not gunning for her at all, there's not even an emotional current running through that post so it's all in your head dude.

blacklistedd

Negative extreme?

Not objective?

Cutthroat?

You got serious issues with reading **** into my posts. I'm not gunning for her at all, there's not even an emotional current running through that post so it's all in your head dude.

​All you do is talk **** about what she says. I haven't seen you post anything else about her on this forum in ages. Somewhere along the line you got especially cynical. Idk if it was ARTPOP or what.

Didymus

​All you do is talk **** about what she says. I haven't seen you post anything else about her on this forum in ages. Somewhere along the line you got especially cynical. Idk if it was ARTPOP or what.

​No, that's not all I do and if you didn't pretend to read everything I ever posted here, you'd realize that. I'm not even gonna say any more than that because I don't want to dignify you with me feeling like I should defend myself against such an absurd accusation.

I'm looking forward to inevitably prove you wrong by changing nothing about my behavior though.

LoveandMagic

​This?

​I ain't gonna lie, this is pretty hot!

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Archived