Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
other

Marina and the Diamonds cynical about artists who pander LGBT community

Monster2015

Featured Posts

Why would people have bashed her based off the first quote? Nothing wrong with it to me. Anyway I understand exactly what she is saying. But I don't really like her music because of anything concerning acceptance on behalf of the fact I'm gay. I like her love songs, her mellow songs, the sort of sadness in them. She makes great music.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Well, LM are sometimes too defensive...I can think of a handful of people who fit this behavior... :P

As for Marina, I like her so much, but this holier than thou attitude she puts on sometimes is such a turn off...

​I agree. She kind of comes off like she thinks everybody else is an idiot. 

Yanko

i agree

look at katy she has a stereotypical song called ur so gay (that talks about feminine guys and tells them to hang themselves) but now shes all pro gay

but whatever

​I agree. She kind of comes off like she thinks everybody else is an idiot. 

​Yet she's a solo act who names herself as if she was a group. :deadbanana:

And no, there is nothing necessarily gay about writing anti-bullying of self-empowerment songs. 

Most gay icons stumbled into the role by being glam females who sing dance songs. It doesn't take any special pandering beyond that. (Although it's wise not to go Born Again like Donna Summer or come out as ex-bis-xual like Jessie J.)

Supersonic

Remember that Born This Way announced way back in September 2010 with MASSIVE media attention. Firework didn't become a single until 6 weeks later, same goes to We R Who We R. While I believe that Kesha is actually honest about how she cares about the LGBT community, Katy's attempt to create a "self-acceptance anthem" was just a mere try to have some of the cake that had already baked. How dare some of you forget how long we waited for Born This Way, how dare you forget that we knew the f*cking chorus 6 months before the song came out.

​Yet she's a solo act who names herself as if she was a group. :deadbanana:

And no, there is nothing necessarily gay about writing anti-bullying of self-empowerment songs. 

Most gay icons stumbled into the role by being glam females who sing dance songs. It doesn't take any special pandering beyond that. (Although it's wise not to go Born Again like Donna Summer or come out as ex-bis-xual like Jessie J.)

​Jessie J was so embarrassing with that. Seriously, after that I consider her a complete idiot. I can't take her seriously, at all.

And don't drag Mariner sis. She's a good sis! She just kind of acts like a snob sometimes, sort of places herself above others because she's more socially aware or something, I guess. Or maybe because she feels she's a more authentic artist. Who knows. I feel like Lana is like that sometimes, too. Even though she's my #1 - while I do feel they both are authentic, real artists they sort of have to point that out just because. 

And tbh, I think the whole gay following thing is annoying. Female artists should just be themselves and if they gather a gay following that's great but they shouldn't treat us as aliens. I felt this way about Gaga, looking back at Born This Way a while ago. But yeah, I don't think female artists should cater to their gay fanbase. Like Britney with Work Bitch, saying it's a "term of endearment" which really just dates back to Drag Queen culture, then black culture :duck: Like, it's such a mess and comes off as kind of try hard. I get your most loyal fans are gay men but come on.

And this isn't me taking away from them as activists. I think it's amazing they are all pro LGBT and help the gay community, like Gaga with her numerous donations to charities and the BTW Foundation. 

Remember that Born This Way announced way back in September 2010 with MASSIVE media attention. Firework didn't become a single until 6 weeks later, same goes to We R Who We R. While I believe that Kesha is actually honest about how she cares about the LGBT community, Katy's attempt to create a "self-acceptance anthem" was just a mere try to have some of the cake that had already baked. How dare some of you forget how long we waited for Born This Way, how dare you forget that we knew the f*cking chorus 6 months before the song came out.

​Not to mention those Tweets from her numerous mysterious accounts Tweeting BTW lyrics dating back to mid 2010...

Epione

Why artists always compares gays to something fun and colourful? And they make pop sound as only a gay thing.:excuseme:

Andreyw

I agree....after and during BTW era, songs from Kesha, Pink, Katy, etc were all "gay acceptance" songs...

Anyone can be "pandering" to a certain group based on changing genres (Taylor/Gaga) and image (Justin/Miley)

We R Who We R was released at the end of 2010, try again

Andreyw

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ke-ha-says-new-single-addresses-teen-suicides-20101015
 Here she talks about We R Who We R

Didymus

Gaga definitely overdid/overdoes it with the "I only had gay friends when I went to high school" lies and her absurd 2009 quote: "The gays just understand me better than anyone else. They see crazy costumes and glitter and they see the beauty in it." + "my gays" during her shows. Other artists (Beyoncé for instance) don't get away with these things in this fanbase, so the double standard is there for sure.

But I will say that at least she was honest about it (at one point). In a forgotten 2009 interview she basically admitted to only support her gay fans because they made her famous and she didn't want to just drop them after actually becoming it, which is a totally acceptable motive imo.

Lady Palutena

She has a point, in a way but I dunno :green:

Odd that some of you thought of Gaga, never saw Gaga as "pandering" to the LGBT community to begin with :huh:

Adoremus in caelum, Palutena. Dea luminis.

When she said this:

"On Twitter, I don't really like it when I see loads of messages from an artist saying (talks in baby voice) "I love you guys! I love you guys! I love you guys!" because I don't think there's any kind of intelligence in that. Also, how can you be genuine and say that so many times? Maybe that's when it becomes pandering, when you're dumbing down your fan base"

first name to pop was Gaga...:eww: PLEASE NO HATE BETWEEN MY 2 OUT OF 5 FAVES 

Hope also that she don't mean Gaga.

Marina is great and intelligent, she is an real artist. But when she means Gaga, then it is a little bitter from her, because she is not in Gagas head. She don't thinks like Gaga and she can't look in Gaga soul - Gaga is a person who believes so much in universal destiny and she is truly is connected to her fans that she let break her bones because she ignored and believed that she must continue her mission and follow her destiny - hope she doesen't  do such dangerous things again.

So Marina can guess but not necessarily understand everything and look in heart of everyone.

Going to hear Savages  [:heart:] ​

Archived