Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
debate

Is Gaga the queen of dance music?

Serendipity

Featured Posts

Fame Romance

Grammy Awards Ban Gaga, Rihanna, Britney from Dance Categories

[Lady Gaga, a 3-time Best Dance Recording nominee, will not be featured in that category at the 2012 Grammys.]
Lady Gaga, a 3-time Best Dance Recording nominee, will not be featured in that category at the 2012 Grammys.
Dave J Hogan / Getty Images

Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Britney Spears, Ke$ha and Jennifer Lopez scored some of 2011's biggest dance hits, but you won't see any of them in the Dance categories at the 2012 Grammys.

The Academy has decided to shift all of those artists to the Pop field, opening up the Dance field for DJs and more hardcore dance acts like Afrojack, Calvin Harris, Skrillex and Benny Benassi.

Though the Grammys never made an official announcement about this, several Academy members have confirmed being told about the change. The new policy is also confirmed by scanning the leaked list of 116 potential 2012 Grammy nominees for Best Dance Recording, which is missing all of those aforementioned pop stars.

Many of the songs you might have expected to see in the Dance categories - Gaga's "Judas," Spears' "Till the World Ends," Ke$ha's "We R Who We R" andRihanna's "S&M" - were shifted to the Pop field instead.

Unfortunately, the Academy isn't being consistent with its new definition. A few less-successful dance-pop artists did manage to slip onto the list of contenders in the Dance field, including Robyn, Dev, Kat DeLuna and LMFAO.

None of these performers are as commercially successful as Gaga or Rihanna. So it seems that the new Grammy rule is that dance-pop artists are no longer eligible for the Dance categories, unless they have terrible record sales, in which case they are welcomed with open arms.

Personally, I love Robyn, and it's exciting that she may benefit from this rule change, but the fact is that if Gaga and Britney aren't eligible for the Dance awards because they're too pop, then Robyn (and Dev and LMFAO) shouldn't be eligible either.

We'll find out how much of a difference the new policy makes when the 2012 Grammy nominees are announced on November 30.

Could you give me the source of that info please?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael Woodson

No, she's not the queen of dance music. She used to be the queen of pop for a while after Madonna's weave got snatched by her but now we're in a phase where we haven't gotten a queen of pop again.

But Lana's coming for that weave...

​I respectfully disagree... Gaga is the queen of dance music. She's also the queen of pop, whether you you want to accept it or not.

Lana will NEVER come close to Gaga's level. 

Michael Woodson

Kerli is actually the Queen of Dance music. 

@Lance back me up on this. :koons:

​You're joking right???... Kerli has some good songs, But she's not queen of dance music. Gaga is!

artRaver

​You're joking right???... Kerli has some good songs, But she's not queen of dance music. Gaga is!

No, I'm not joking. 

✿ cherry blossom girl ✿

Michael Woodson

I think Madonna is. Gaga is the Queen of electronic pop music imo.

​I respectfully disagree with you.... Madonna is so 80's...She's old news. She used to be great and was the queen of dance and pop music from the 1980's-1990's. Gaga is the new queen of dance music and pop. It's her time now.  

Fame Romance

I think that rule that pop stars can't be nominated in the dance categories of the grammys is unfair in some way, but fair in the other hand, I mean, this way artists who dedicated specifically to dance music are not overshadowed by the biggest pop divas' hits, but grammys' priority is to reward artists who make good contributions for the music, so they should be more objective in that sense.

Also the mess in the grammy for best new artist in 2010 was frustrating.

SISTERV

​tbh, i find it quite unfair they give away rnb grammys to beyonce, but no dance ones to gaga

if they allowed, she wouldn't have gone home empty handed in 2012

​that is actually a really mother****ing good point tbh :what:

yassitscarcass

​I respectfully disagree... Gaga is the queen of dance music. She's also the queen of pop, whether you you want to accept it or not.

Lana will NEVER come close to Gaga's level. 

​Lana's Gogo Dancer slays all of ArtFlop imo...

If anyone, I'd say Britney is queen of dance music...

Cody Draco

No, she's not the queen of dance music. She used to be the queen of pop for a while after Madonna's weave got snatched by her but now we're in a phase where we haven't gotten a queen of pop again.

But Lana's coming for that weave...

​Lana snatched the Queen of Music title tbfh. She doesn't need pop. :pray:

Michael Woodson

LMFAO! You're delusion, stupidity, and ignorance is amusing. Gaga slays all of Lana's flop ass "music"... ARTPOP slays the **** out of lana.  

Archived