Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th

Florence Welch: "I was spiraling down, I wasn't stable"

Paper Planes

Featured Posts

Paper Planes

Florence And The Machine's Florence Welch appeared on BBC Radio 1 this evening (February 16) to discuss her new album, 'How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful'.

'How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful' is the third album from Florence + The Machine and follows 2009 debut 'Lungs' and its follow up 'Ceremonials' which arrived two years later. Produced by Markus Dravs (Björk, Arcade Fire, Coldplay), the new album also includes contributions from Paul Epworth, Kid Harpoon and John Hill and will be released on June 1.

Speaking to Zane Lowe about the record, Welch discussed the 'chaotic' year behind the new album. Talking about how her first two albums were made without a break, she said that the year off she took before making the new album made her have something of a 'nervous breakdown'.

"'Cermonials' and 'Lungs' all blurred together, we didn't take any time off," she explained. "It was a decision to have a year off." She said during that year she had "a bit of a nervous breakdown... It was a bit of a crash landing in a sense... In the year off, I was still going out and going to events but something wasn't quite right, I was spiraling a bit. I wasn't making myself happy. I wasn't stable." She also discussed her "on and off relationship with drinking" which added to the "up and down... chaotic" vibe of the year.

She commented: "It was a really vulnerable time for me when we first started making the record and because of that it's the most personal record I've ever made."

Welch also spoke about working with Dravs. "When I went to meet Markus, we were talking about this idea of space and this idea of something earthier. 'Ceremonials' was this glacial wall of sound." For the new album she said they wanted to "refine what we've done and pare it down." Welch also revealed that Dravs gave her rules when in the studio. "You're not allowed to write any more songs about water!" he said. "But I did get one in there - 'Ship To Wreck' is about water, but it's not so explicit!" she commented, adding that he helped to find a "different gear" when it came to her songwriting.

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/florence-and-the-machine/82946#KESTm444xoGUWJim.99

I'm so glad she knew when to take a break, found herself again, and is back to slay us all again :legend: Some artists don't know when to take a break and then end up melting down in front of our eyes.

delete it fat

Wow this record is gonna be great!

It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences. - Audre Lorde

inuborg

we were talking about this idea of space and this idea of something earthier. 'Ceremonials' was this glacial wall of sound." For the new album she said they wanted to "refine what we've done and pare it down."

My prayers have been answered :legend: 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

I wish she'd collab with Gaga, they seem to have a lot in common both in artistic views and personal lifes

Vernier
It was a really vulnerable time for me when we first started making the record and because of that it's the most personal record I've ever made.

It's showing already in WKOM  :legend:

And she should be allowed to write songs on anything she wants. If she wants to write 1000 songs about a strand of hair, let her :madge:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

xoxo cupcakke

Hating on Florence's water songs I see :smh:

I didn't know about Florence's alcoholism. I hope she has recovered from it and not just stating that she has. Praying for ha

darkchylde

She's so damn powerful. I believe she's one of the greatest artists we have. I'm happy she's already over that. 

Wow this was unexpected from her, I have no idea, I hope she's fine and she did the right thing to took a break, already with the new record we can perceive this emotional feeling of her.

Hellspont

Im glad shes better now , I didnt know she was unstable :giveup: Shes so beautiful and talented I know this album with be one of the best of the year :nick:

lol the "water rule" is funny, but probably a good idea. sometimes artists stay with what is comfortable for too long, and it ends up being bad. in her case, she's released too high quality albums in a row, so this doesn't relate to her much, but it was a good thing someone new came along to refine her. not change her, but help her evolve.

most personal album yet? amazing. i really can't wait to see, i think it will be very autobiographical and a turbulent year. wonder what happened and what made iton the album. hope some happy stuff too :P

Archived