NewYorkCity 10,536 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 the most important part is that he says it's okay to resort to violence if you don't like what someone says, not merely that there are limits to free speech. so he's just a bully. what sort of thing is that for a pope to say? repugnant. MTE. what he said is way more offensive than what the title of the thread says. He just defended what terrorists did. Maybe he is scared because the Vatican is the main objective of those terrorists? I saw this pope coming from day one. He is just a big magazine cover looking for buyers with its sensacionalism and attractive titles. This is what the pope was saying, and it seems like the people disagreeing with him simply didn't read the article. He's defending people's legal right to critisize and question things, including religion, but when people misuse this right to demean people and make them inferior, they shouldn't be shocked when there is retaliation. Not that the retaliation was the correct choice, but in the world that we live in, it shouldn't have been a surprise. I thought jesus said "turn the other cheek" not "If you say something about my mum, I'll hit you in the face! It is normal!!" Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
socotra 3,357 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 I mean, I think unnecessarily making fun of people's faiths is disrespectful but it's also a case-by-case thing... making fun of ISIS's version of Islam is technically religious slander, but I don't think that's wrong because what they do is so obscene. If it doesn't hurt anybody else, I believe it should be respected. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
AphroditeLaydee 1,230 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 While I despise violence and the whole aspect of murder for a cause, I find it hard to sympathize with Charlie Hebdo's view of life and its way of expressing it. It seems cheap and tawdry to criticize someone for their religious beliefs. You may disagree with their beliefs, but to go out of your way to insult their beliefs just doesn't seem right to me. Some people say it's freedom of speech, but, in reality, it's just rude, crass behavior; worthy only of ill-mannered, insensitive people. A common disrespect for other peoples most valued thoughts and reverences. A well mannered person doesn't do such things. I would feel uneasy around such people. But, I certainly wouldn't be violent towards them. Perhaps it's the lack of civility I dislike most. Well, on a way he is correct though. I mean, to say "You're fatter than a swine, go die!" or " Die fagg0t, die!" or "Why are you so ugly, please die!" isn't exactly nice or free speech. The words of hate never a form of free speech, personally I didn't allow that to be. But to the doers, they THINK they just practicing one. So it is complicated. These, tbh. Just we because we have the freedom to do things, doesn't mean we have to do them. Like, I have the freedom to say Katy can't sing live and that those who like her are basic as f*ck, but I shouldn't, because it can hurt. I have the freedom to burn my enemy's home, but shouldn't because it can hurt. We are not animals are we? Let's not use freedom to create chaos. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey 3,017 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 I have the freedom to burn my enemy's home, but shouldn't because it can hurt Actually no "I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
AphroditeLaydee 1,230 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 Actually no Freedom to choose doing it, knowing all the consequences of course. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Goosey 3,017 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 Freedom to choose doing it, knowing all the consequences of course. "Free choice" is not "freedom"... "I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
MAN 0 Posted January 18, 2015 Share Posted January 18, 2015 He is in gods hands? Which god, Satan? everything he does goes against the bible, ... they worshipped him :megaflop: ..thats a flaw to begin with Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Adakam 2 Posted January 19, 2015 Share Posted January 19, 2015 i agree Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.