Jump to content

Pope Francis Says There Are Limits To Free Speech


Mr Josh

Featured Posts

I just saw him on the news, but I'm not agree with him, but obviously he said that also because the journal made fun also of him and Catholic religion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not born with cancer or HIV either so I guess it's OK to joke about that, too.

Nice to see you comparing religion with deadly diseases, I think the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Religion is different from race and s-xuality, those things can't be compared.To some people it might not seem that way, but religion isn't something you are born with, it's something that's given/forced/indoctrinated by birth/nurture.

A religion is something you as a human can stand apart from, as in looking objectively at it. Skin color and s-xuality is something you are born with. Either way freedom of speech is necessary, I would not want an authority dictating what I should do, follow, etc. 

 

and making fun of something, can be different than hurting people on purpose. 

 

I'm agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites

MahoganySnitch

Religion is different from race and s-xuality, those things can't be compared.To some people it might not seem that way, but religion isn't something you are born with, it's something that's given/forced/indoctrinated by birth/nurture.

A religion is something you as a human can stand apart from, as in looking objectively at it. Skin color and s-xuality is something you are born with. Either way freedom of speech is necessary, I would not want an authority dictating what I should do, follow, etc. 

 

and making fun of something, can be different than hurting people on purpose. 

Totally agree. They are not comparable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Religion is different from race and s-xuality, those things can't be compared.To some people it might not seem that way, but religion isn't something you are born with, it's something that's given/forced/indoctrinated by birth/nurture.

A religion is something you as a human can stand apart from, as in looking objectively at it. Skin color and s-xuality is something you are born with. Either way freedom of speech is necessary, I would not want an authority dictating what I should do, follow, etc. 

 

and making fun of something, can be different than hurting people on purpose. 

This so much. It's about damn time people realize that. Also if people never questioned religion we would still be in the dark ages. :flop:

Link to post
Share on other sites

If making fun of someone's faith is OK then it's also OK to make fun of races and s-xuality imo. It's just as much a part of an individual as religion can be.

It doesn't matter if it's "okay" or not. In a free society you still have the right to do it.  :yes:

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have more respect for his position is he was content for religion to be merely a private matter.

 

But Catholicism and Islam have doubled as political ideologies far too often. If you're gonna tell me what to do and try to legislate elements of your faith, it's fair game for criticism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the most important part is that he says it's okay to resort to violence if you don't like what someone says, not merely that there are limits to free speech. so he's just a bully. what sort of thing is that for a pope to say? repugnant.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jonna Lee

lies spotted: 0

the most important part is that he says it's okay to resort to violence if you don't like what someone says, not merely that there are limits to free speech. so he's just a bully. what sort of thing is that for a pope to say? repugnant.

hes literally joking

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gagaloo911

I'd have more respect for his position is he was content for religion to be merely a private matter.

 

But Catholicism and Islam have doubled as political ideologies far too often. If you're gonna tell me what to do and try to legislate elements of your faith, it's fair game for criticism.

Agreed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hes literally joking

 

nope, he says in the same breath,

 

"It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others."

 

it's normal, because you cannot insult the faith of others. and what is normal? to hit someone. violence. he made a joke about hitting his friend, but the sentiment is carried in what he says about "insulting" faith.

 

"They are provocateurs. And what happens to them is what would happen to Dr. Gasparri if he says a curse word against my mother. There is a limit."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gov Hooka

While I despise violence and the whole aspect of murder for a cause, I find it hard to sympathize with Charlie Hebdo's view of life and its way of expressing it. It seems cheap and tawdry to criticize someone for their religious beliefs. You may disagree with their beliefs, but to go out of your way to insult their beliefs just doesn't seem right to me. Some people say it's freedom of speech, but, in reality, it's just rude, crass behavior; worthy only of ill-mannered, insensitive people. A common disrespect for other peoples most valued thoughts and reverences. A well mannered person doesn't do such things. I would feel uneasy around such people. But, I certainly wouldn't be violent towards them. Perhaps it's the lack of civility I dislike most.

Link to post
Share on other sites

RAMROD

Well, on a way he is correct though.

I mean, to say "You're fatter than a swine, go die!" or " Die fagg0t, die!" or "Why are you so ugly, please die!" isn't exactly nice or free speech.

The words of hate never a form of free speech, personally I didn't allow that to be.

But to the doers, they THINK they just practicing one.

So it is complicated. :sis:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ⁱᵐ'ᵐᵃ ʰⁱᵗ ᵈᵉᶠʳᵒˢᵗ ᵒⁿ ʸᵃ, ˡᵉᵗ'ˢ ᵍᵉᵗ ⁱᵗ ᵇˡᵃᶻⁱⁿᵍ﹗ (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tommymonster44

I believe in freedom of speech. But there is a time and place for everything. Just because youCAN Say it didn't mean you should.

This is what the pope was saying, and it seems like the people disagreeing with him simply didn't read the article. He's defending people's legal right to critisize and question things, including religion, but when people misuse this right to demean people and make them inferior, they shouldn't be shocked when there is retaliation. Not that the retaliation was the correct choice, but in the world that we live in, it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...