Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

Billboard changing its main album chart, will count streaming services

Redstreak

Featured Posts

People saying this makes the chart irrelevant are not thinking logically. Streaming is the reason albums aren't selling. They were forced to make the change. To continue to only count sales in 2014 is downright stupid when albums are struggling to sell 700K.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listening to the same song 10 times doesn't equal listening to 1 album, whereas BB make it look like it :rip:

"SoundScan and Billboard will count 1,500 song streams [...] as equivalent to an album sale."

Ridiculous. Just because people have listened, it doesnt mean they liked it.

Unless they listened to it 1500 times. Buying an album also doesn't mean you're gonna like it.

Pure Adrenaline

People saying this makes the chart irrelevant are not thinking logically. Streaming is the reason albums aren't selling. They were forced to make the change. To continue to only count sales in 2014 is downright stupid when albums are struggling to sell 700K.

listening to a song 1500x =/= buying whole album 

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Not Billboard paying Taylor and her so called statements about the industry dust just 3 weeks from the release that shook the industry

The revenge of Sportify hehe

Pure Adrenaline

fixed it for you

no it's not 1 500 listens of single song doesn't mean that u will buy the album

Redstreak

no it's not 1 500 listens of single song doesn't mean that u will buy the album

That's my thing, I would better understand the streaming rule if it was more fairly integrated. A multitude of people listening to just Roar alone 1500 times and no other song is not the same as 1 person buying the entirety of Prism no matter how you spin it. This merely benefits already long established singles artists and those that manage to score those rare one hit wonders.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Jonna Lee

Finally, counting sales only in 2014 is silly.

agreed

i like it when u treat me mean it turns my mood from black to blue

Pure Adrenaline

That's my thing, I would better understand the streaming rule if it was more fairly integrated. A multitude of people listening to just Roar alone 1500 times and no other song is not the same as 1 person buying the entirety of Prism no matter how you spin it. This merely benefits already long established singles artists and those that manage to score those rare one hit wonders.

exactly , with the new rule the single artists will become album artists and the album artists will become flops

i thought it would be listening to almost the entirety of one album, or at least half of the songs from the album?

Bound to happen. 

This is not bad, they actually are thinking in the future of the chart. 

People b---hed about when Billboard included streaming on the HOT 100. And now it works perfectly fine. 

They are just doing this so music industry doesnt appear as bad as it currently is with 10k sales going #1 :rip:

That did not happen.

But before itunes, a lot of people would buy albums on the basis on 1 or 2 songs. You want Britney's hit singles, you gotta get a whole fillerfest album.

Archived