Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

Billboard changing its main album chart, will count streaming services

Redstreak

Featured Posts

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Psychedelic

Great, another reason for this fanbase to complain about muisc industry's situation today as if they'd been born when people only listened to sophisticated jazz and opera...

:awkney:

While this is still great I'd rather have the streaming addition be a new and separate chart and let the BB 200 remain as is, every past accomplishment made by other artists just seems less important with this addition and it cheapens the chart with its historical significance and the artists who were given a shot going #1 and launching their career off. I just don't see the benefit long term really. 

Edit: Just thought of something, a lot of top albums are going to embarrassingly not even make gold or platinum with ARIA certification at this point and yet remain top 20  chart toppers; that is unless ARIA decides for some reason to convert over streams which I can't see happening.

I agree! A new chart to introduce the new methodology is much better. But then again, with streaming only becoming more vital and bigger, not just in the computation of the HOT 100 chart and elsewhere, but also in the certification programs of RIAA itself, at least in singles and digital tracks, I also understand where Billboard's coming from with this. I don't agree with them, but let's see. TEAs are being unfairly and immaturely used for bragging rights. It's about time they make use of them other than the usual what ifs.  

Also, do you mean ARIA, the one in Australia? Or you meant RIAA? If RIAA, stream equivalents are now part of their certification programs for gold, platinum, and diamond since last year, I believe. For them, 100 on-demand audio and/or video streams = 1 unit sold. It'll be interesting if ARIA and the other major charts in the world would follow this model or not. 

Ray of Light

Remind me again, what's a "singles artist"?

OH YEAH

It's actually an ALBUMS ARTIST

xfq96o.png

So excited to see Queens Rih and Katy SCALPING the b---hes on the Billboard 200 chart. Their next albums will surely go DIAMOND CERTIFIED now with this rule.

I mean, do we live in the Dark Ages? What is this? Some Y2K post-apocalotuc world? WHO EVEN BUYS MUSIC ANYMORE? Those tween girls crushing over you? Those tween girls wishing they were you, relating to you? WELL THEY'RE GONNA GROW UP AND DIE, or be homeless from all the money they spent on your worthless music. 

Streaming is the future, streaming is the way to go.

xfq96o.png

SISTERV

This is actually really good for Gaga. Even non fans are always curious to what she is up to and give it a listen.

Remind me again, what's a "singles artist"?

OH YEAH

It's actually an ALBUMS ARTIST

xfq96o.png

So excited to see Queens Rih and Katy SCALPING the b---hes on the Billboard 200 chart. Their next albums will surely go DIAMOND CERTIFIED now with this rule.

I mean, do we live in the Dark Ages? What is this? Some Y2K post-apocalotuc world? WHO EVEN BUYS MUSIC ANYMORE? Those tween girls crushing over you? Those tween girls wishing they were you, relating to you? WELL THEY'RE GONNA GROW UP AND DIE, or be homeless from all the money they spent on your worthless music. 

Streaming is the future, streaming is the way to go.

xfq96o.png

So because I buy music, I'm automatically part of those 3 'groups'. :lmao: 

Ray of Light

So because I buy music, I'm automatically part of those 3 'groups'. :lmao:

Down to the core, stripped down, with no sugar coating, over saturated explanation over it, YES YOU ARE. SIS. YES YOU ARE. WOO LAWD REVELATION. UNDERGROUND POP CIVILIZATION.

xfq96o.png

Down to the core, stripped down, with no sugar coating, over saturated explanation over it, YES YOU ARE. SIS. YES YOU ARE. WOO LAWD REVELATION. UNDERGROUND POP CIVILIZATION.

xfq96o.png

:lmao:

That gif gets me every time.   :spin:

Good for Ariana I guess

tbh

But anyways, we won't be complaining when Gaga's new era gets dat good streaming.  :teehee:

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

WarriorPrince

That's good. It's more accurate to what people are listening to.

This is actually really good for Gaga. Even non fans are always curious to what she is up to and give it a listen.

For her pop albums it's good, but Cheek to Cheek won't benefit from this at all

I mean there was no way they were going to avoid eventually including streaming services...it's probably going to be the standard for music soon. I don't really understand if this is good or bad, but it was definitely inevitable.

Archived