💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Billboard changing its main album chart, will count streaming services

Redstreak

Featured Posts

Redstreak

So basically it is meaningless, good to know.

Yep, it just inflates everything so the industry looks better than it actually is. This new rule basically makes the BB 200 pointless.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cody Draco

they won't and they could be less bothered by a meaningless chart.

They cared enough about charts to take her music off of Spotify in hopes of better sales though. :awkney:

Yep, it just inflates everything so the industry looks better than it actually is. This new rule basically makes the BB 200 pointless.

My exactly thought. 

Bambino

Can someone explain how this messy :flop: I think it's good that no matter what way people listen to music, it'd still count for the chart. Right? :flop:

They cared enough about charts to take her music off of Spotify in hopes of better sales though. :awkney:

charts? :rip:  They care about the money, not charts. No matter if she sold 200/300/400/500/600/700/800k etc. she would be number 1 regardless.  She sold 1.3M and she sold 400k+ and 300K+ in her second and 3rd week.  Spotify had nothing to do with charts. They just wants their money (deservebly so).

Cody Draco

Not entirely sure how I feel about this. I also don't really understand how the streaming part works.

"SoundScan and Billboard will count 1,500 song streams from services like Spotify, Beats Music, Rdio, Rhapsody and Google Play as equivalent to an album sale." Does this mean 1500 streams of ANY song from the album counts as one song? So even if an album has a popular single but doesn't sell well - i.e. Ariana as mentioned in the article - it will remain high on the chart? Does that really reflect the popularity of the album though?

Hmm...

It wouldn't reflect the popularity of the album. They should only count the streams of the entire album (when someone streams the whole album from start to finish) if they are going to go through with this. That would require Spotify and other streaming site to record how many times someone listens to an album from start to finish.

Can someone explain how this messy :flop: I think it's good that no matter what way people listen to music, it'd still count for the chart. Right? :flop:

yea but for example Katy Perry having Dark Horse and Roar being so popular can make her WHOLE album number 1. Which is not accurate, because people could care less about PRISM, they just listen to those 2 songs.

Listening to the same song 10 times doesn't equal listening to 1 album, whereas BB make it look like it :rip:

Cody Draco

charts? :rip:  They care about the money, not charts. No matter if she sold 200/300/400/500/600/700/800k etc. she would be number 1 regardless.  She sold 1.3M and she sold 400k+ and 300K+ in her second and 3rd week.  Spotify had nothing to do with charts. They just wants their money (deservebly so).

Sales = charting better honey. Whether indirectly or directly they cared about the charts. Plus, labels care about charts because the higher you are on the charts the more exposed you are/the more the media talks about you and your music. :rip:

Bambino

yea but for example Katy Perry having Dark Horse and Roar being so popular can make her WHOLE album number 1. Which is not accurate, because people could care less about PRISM, they just listen to those 2 songs.

Listening to the same song 10 times doesn't equal listening to 1 album, whereas BB make it look like it.

So this rule means that a song being listened to means the entire album doing well on charts?

Great idea. They have to go on with the times. Because young people buy less albums than old people, the chart gets a little bit unfair at times - they, after all, have to make a chart that is representative of popularity, which cannot be viewed solely with album sales anymore.

Not very profitable for Gaga's jazz project though :rip:

Archived