Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

Madonna's Bedtime Stories turns 20 years old!

Computer

Featured Posts

Prometheus

One year ago next month, Lady Gaga released her fourth studio album, ARTPOP, a classic that came out at a strange crossroads in her career.

While Gaga certainly didn't lack for fame in 2013, the button-pushing Born This Way album album had soured many critics and fans. For the first time in half a decade of superstardom, people weren't shocked by her antics anymore -- even worse, they often seemed exhausted by her.

Artistically speaking, she'd spent the last five years challenging and subverting America's views on art and fame. But after releasing an entire album called ARTPOP featuring endless countdown apps and reverse-Warholian inspired Koons covers, there didn't seem to be anywhere else to go in that realm.

bless you

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GreenEyes

Funny I just bought Bedtime Stories on Amazon the other day :laughga:

Amazing album, I think it's my favorite M album.

But no BT was successful with getting people to like her again and the album did very well along with the singles. Minus human nature and bedtime story.

Human nature is a piece of art tbh :legend:

ARTPOP is not her biggest flop...  :scar:  :crossed:

But it is, and that's saying a lot considering it still did as well as it did while underperforming compared to The Fame-Born This Way.

So here's what I'm getting from the Parallels

The Fame & The Fame Monster - Madonna, Like a Virgin, and True Blue (Massive Success)

Born This Way - Like a Prayer (Successful but controversial)

ARTPOP - Erotica (Backlash and lower sales than previous works)

Cheek to Cheek - Bedtime Stories (Damage control)

This rock album Gaga's been thinking about - Ray of Light (one can pray)

Really praying for the Ray of Light parallel to be true. I agree completely. I even remember people saying Born This Way was her Like a Prayer when it came out (not just because of the Express Yourself/Born This Way mess  :emma:).

I think it's really cool how her career lines up with Madonna's honestly. I know the comparisons get tiring sometimes, but there are definitely obvious parallels. I think it's really interesting.

One year ago next month, Lady Gaga released her fourth studio album, ARTPOP, a classic that came out at a strange crossroads in her career.

While Gaga certainly didn't lack for fame in 2013, the button-pushing Born This Way album album had soured many critics and fans. For the first time in half a decade of superstardom, people weren't shocked by her antics anymore -- even worse, they often seemed exhausted by her.

Artistically speaking, she'd spent the last five years challenging and subverting America's views on art and fame. But after releasing an entire album called ARTPOP featuring endless countdown apps and reverse-Warholian inspired Koons covers, there didn't seem to be anywhere else to go in that realm.

I love you for this

Tropico

yeah but the Born this way wasn't a big failure like ARTPOP

the album sold 6 million copies worlwide, the tour grossed 180 million and she earned lots of awards that era and was actually praised by the media, she had a chance to come back with ARTPOP but she ****ed it up and the media literally destroyed her for that

How exactly was it Gaga's fault the media turned on her? They just didn't wanna be nice and as history has shown, they will build you up to tear you down. The question is  if you can recover. It wasn't Gaga's fault.

And a big failure? That's an overexaggeration to the max right there. ARTPOP did well, in comparison to other people especially considering the media wanted to push it down. #1 album, 2 ww hits, a mostly sold out tour ww, 2 best selling electronic album, 2nd best album sales of a female artist in 2013. top 10 selling albums of 2013 and her biggest radio hit in the US. Y'all exaggerate so much.

ps: I hate the madonna comparisons but they always happen :toofunny:

Didn't you make a thread yesterday opening with Madonna's Blonde Ambition tour? Then discussed TMB?

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

FameHookah

Nnnnn :lmao:

WTF is MDNA

darkwolf

Really praying for the Ray of Light parallel to be true. I agree completely. I even remember people saying Born This Way was her Like a Prayer when it came out (not just because of the Express Yourself/Born This Way mess  :emma:).

I think it's really cool how her career lines up with Madonna's honestly. I know the comparisons get tiring sometimes, but there are definitely obvious parallels. I think it's really interesting.

But Ray of light came after Madonna had a baby and she was really into spiritiuality and kabalah, there were also some sad events going on at the time (deaths of Diana, and her friend Gianni Versace).

PopBitch

Bedtime stories unlike ARTPOP actually saved and cleaned madonna's career and image :yes:

her image was really damaged after the erotica era, but with bedtime stories she kinda got people back at her awith ray of light she was on the top of the world again :giveup:

meanwhile ARTPOP did the oppositive to gaga's career and image :smh:

This. Bedtime Stories was actually a step back into the good graces of the public again and proof she wasn't over, which was stated after Erotica.

How exactly was it Gaga's fault the media turned on her? They just didn't wanna be nice and as history has shown, they will build you up to tear you down. The question is  if you can recover. It wasn't Gaga's fault.

And a big failure? That's an overexaggeration to the max right there. ARTPOP did well, in comparison to other people especially considering the media wanted to push it down. #1 album, 2 ww hits, a mostly sold out tour ww, 2 best selling electronic album, 2nd best album sales of a female artist in 2013. top 10 selling albums of 2013 and her biggest radio hit in the US. Y'all exaggerate so much.

Didn't you make a thread yesterday opening with Madonna's Blonde Ambition tour? Then discussed TMB?

1.- I didn't not flop, but for an artist of the category of gaga it was a failure and a step back for her career and 2 world wide hits? lol no DWUW was barely a hit compared to other artists and herself and Applause was not that big, yes it had longevity on the radios but the sales were not that impressive :sweep:

2.-  :fail:  :fail:

I was asking if the monster ball was iconic and was propably the second most iconic tour of all time after the blonde ambition tour, nothing wrong with that, but other users turned that thread into a madonna vs gaga thing, it was not my fault :fail:

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Tropico

1.- I didn't not flop, but for an artist of the category of gaga it was a failure and a step back for her career and 2 world wide hits? lol no DWUW was barely a hit compared to other artists and herself and Applause was not that big, yes it had longevity on the radios but the sales were not that impressive :sweep:

2.-  :fail:  :fail:

I was asking if the monster ball was iconic and was propably the second most iconic tour of all time after the blonde ambition tour, nothing wrong with that, but other users turned that thread into a madonna vs gaga thing, it was not my fault :fail:

1. The other artists in Gaga's category were getting the same sales buddy. And DWUW is certified platinum in many countries and reached top 10 like everywhere except the US and without a video. + Holds the record for most #1 in iTunes worldwide with 86 Countries. Applause was huge and if you don't see that there's no hope.

2. You brought up the two tours and made it seem like a competition by giving ranks like 2nd and 1st. That... is a comparison. What you claim to hate. You must've known there was gonna be an enlargement.

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

1. The other artists in Gaga's category were getting the same sales buddy. And DWUW is certified platinum in many countries and reached top 10 like everywhere except the US and without a video. + Holds the record for most #1 in iTunes worldwide with 86 Countries. Applause was huge and if you don't see that there's no hope.

2. You brought up the two tours and made it seem like a competition by giving ranks like 2nd and 1st. That... is a comparison. What you claim to hate. You must've known there was gonna be an enlargement.

1.- lol no Katy had ROAR and Dark Horse, Miley had Wrecking Ball, Beyonce didn't have hits but it had album sales and IMPACT, and It doesn't matter if the song was number one in a zillion of countries if the total sales were small, britney jean was also number 1 in many countries and it flopped

ibmEFRnzbqIV9f.gif

2.- are you serious? lol plus that thread was not bad, they were talking about impact more than who was copying who, lol

oprah-stare-gif.gif

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Archived