Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

Pure Adrenaline

Yes queen slay me with ur tea all over

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being 'african-american' or 'black' doesn't define you as a person, but it is a part of your identity whether or not you want it to be.

The reality is that we're (Americans) are not living in a color-blind, judgment free utopia where people are treated equally.

Why am I not surprised to see so many in this thread agreeing with this ridiculous navel-gazing..

Rollercoaster

Being 'african-american' or 'black' doesn't define you as a person, but it is a part of your identity whether or not you want it to be.

The reality is that we're (Americans) are not living in a color-blind, judgment free utopia where people are treated equally.

Why am I not surprised to see so many in this thread agreeing with this ridiculous navel-gazing..

Its racist to label someone african just because theyre black. Shes never even been to africa and her parents arent african (are they?) So its racist to assume that black = african. Are jamaicans african jamaicans?!

Zsolti

we all africa

waka waka ah

Please correct me if I make any grammar mistakes, I want to master English as much as possible.

Jenniferella

Its racist to label someone african just because theyre black. Shes never even been to africa and her parents arent african (are they?) So its racist to assume that black = african. Are jamaicans african jamaicans?!

I highly agree with this. 

Let's not forget the same thing could be said of anyone since we all have mixed backgrounds. For example, I am half Breton half French, yet no one calls me "Breton French" because it's not visible on my skin + I have never lived in Brittany. So why would she call herself African American since she never got to live there and was bred in America all this time ? 

I'm not going to labor a response explaining to you why the idea you just expressed is incredibly dumb.

All you get is a Beyonce gif. It's too early in the morning for this stupidity.

Here you go:

If you're not going to say anything interesting/constructive, just leave the keyboard and save yourself (and us as well) this precious time.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

If a black immigrant from Jamaica is a Jamaican Canadian, and one straight from Kenya is an African Canadian, is one from the US an African American Canadian? 

I think African American caught on pbecause in PCspeak more syllables is deemed to show more respect (which is silly). Black is simpler and the perfect equivalent for white.

Spock

I get what she was trying to say, but unpopular opinion here, I though it was kind dumb. :ohwell:

who will love me when the night is over

The Professor

Reminds me of that trans man who put woman for the hospital forms and the surgery got ****ed because the gender was important.

Why not just be proud? 

MahoganySnitch

I'm conflicted about what she means. I absolutely love Raven, and I've admired her since her Disney days, but this sort of took me back a bit. I'm not pissed at her, just a little confused. She's speaking her truth, so I cannot attack her.

For me, and how I grew up as an African-American, (I just say Black, kind of interchangeable, but use which saying.. it doesn't matter to me.) my parents always taught me to be proud of who I was and where I come from. I knew from the jump that I was Black, but it never affected the way I saw other people who weren't Black. Racism is taught, in my opinion. I think I know what she meant by saying "I'm American." I agree, In a sense I am American, but I know I have African roots. I enjoy hearing things about Africa and learning about the differing cultures of Africa cause I know that's where my descendants were from. It interests me. I like the cultures and I appreciate the history behind Africa and the history of Black people in America. I feel like she means that she is American and being labeled as such is toxic to her and holding those labels to someone's head isn't good because it only separates us. That, I understand. (Though labeling yourself American, is still... uhm.. a label.) Then she went on to talk about hair texture and how her hair texture was "good." The opinions of Natural/Permed hair in the Black community is a hot topic for many of us. Saying she has good hair kind of refuted her whole "Label" discussion. :/

However, I do not believe in the "Colorblind" theory, because it erases the history of people. I know a friend who is Hmong and they are extremely traditional and celebrate their holidays and hold certain beliefs about life. My mom's close friend (who I call my aunt) is Puerto Rican and her family holds strong traditions as well, and I find it interesting. So when I hear people say "I'm colorblind" I'm taken aback, like why? It's cool to learn about their lives. In a way, you're kind of erasing their history. I think in America, it's good to learn about our differences. It's good to see White people listening to Black people and vice-versa. We're trading information in a sense. We understand "I know s/he's White/Black/Asian/etc., but that doesn't stop me from understanding him and enjoying him/her as an individual." Differing cultures make interesting to learn about. I'm just the kind of guy who's interested in hearing about people's lives and their upbringing. Regardless if you're so-called "colorblind," people are still going to see you as Black, so. That theory is only for a Country full of Non-Racist, Non-Sexist, Non-Homophobic, Non-Bi-phobic, Non-Trans-phobic, Non-Ableist, Non-Ageist, ect. people... but that is not the world we live in.

It kinda hurts to see so many Black celebs denouncing the "African-American" title. Pharrell recentIy said he was a "New-Black" whatever that means, and that "Black is a state of mind...." basically something (Non-Black PoC/White) people can take on and off whenever they see fit. There's so many black kids out here not seeing representation of themselves, so when they see someone like Raven who has always kept her head on tight with big success, say something like that, it kind of turns them off and they start to question themselves and their image.

I like being seen as a Black man, because I am a Black man and that makes me proud, but I refuse to be limited or put in a box for that. That's the tricky part. I acknowledge that I am Black, but that shouldn't stop me from getting places in life, which in certain situations, it does. Kerry Washington said something that really hit close to this topic. “I’m not interested in living in a world where my race is not a part of who I am; I am interested in living in a world where our races- no matter what they are- don’t define our trajectory in life.â€

I agree, actually. I personally ID as a Mexican-American and I lose it when people say I'm denying "Americaness" by adding the prefix :awkney: My roots are there, and as a 1.5 gen person, I grew up in both worlds.

More power to her, of course, it's her choice. But it's also mine to ID the way I like and not leave my identity to strangers on GGD, or any strangers for that matter.

She doesn't want to be called gay or African-American, because being Black or gay in America is not seen as a positive thing, especially if you're both.

It seems like she wants to remove herself from that. She doesn't want to be placed in a box, generalized, or stereotyped.

I get that I guess, but what does that do for the young people who look up to her? She's pretty much saying that race is not important and that she chooses to ignore it. Which she can afford to do, but many people cannot.

Stephen

I see where she's coming from but at the same time her not wanting to label herself places a stigma on labelling. What's wrong with calling yourself gay? It comes across almost like she doesn't want to say it because it would have a negative connotation.

aquaprincess

i see her point. she doesnt want labels put on her. i get the sense she just wants to live her life, do her, and not worry about being anyones role model. problem is as soon as she started becoming famous she instantly became one and yeah her saying shes american is a label. her arguments are a bit confusing. but its her life so.

ItsTommyBitch

I both agree and disagree..

Despite her controversial wording :laughga: I don't think she is actively "promoting" colorblindness to the public, but giving her own opinion of how she wishes to be viewed... and even then I don't think she means it how we know it to mean.

The theory behind colorblindness is incredibly flawed because, as pointed out several times in this thread alone, it erases one's history and culture. She doesn't know or embrace those specific aspects of her heritage, (and she doesn't know them apparently :emma: ) which is a perfectly acceptable choice. We should respect her choice here. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Archived