Featured Posts

LordDisick

Didn't you read what I said? :awkney:

Heritage is much more than a tag :awkney:

next shes going to say she doesnt want to be labeled a women  :emma:  :haha:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm pretty sharp and I can't decide if she had a concise/clear point to make here..

"Hesperus is Phosphorus"

inuborg

But why can't she only be called American, it's not denying where your ancestry came from, your roots are much more than a label :awkney: Why does she have to be named different than other people? :awkney: We're all humans no matter where we come from :yes:

Because she is different than other people.

I am black and I don't mind being called African American, its just another piece of the description of myself. 

Why should she call herself African American when she could be Caribbean American and not know it. By the way why is it so hard for people to look at people of color as JUST American without having to add "____" - American to their nationality/ethnicity? 

And where did those dark skin people from the Caribbean come from?  :spin:

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

codymonster

I completely agree with this :applause: Labelling yourself only puts stereotypes on yourself. I prefer to just be "Cody," and people can thus base their opinions on my personality, rather than what they know about me.

Vernier

I don't know, I personally don't get the aversion to labels thing that's been happening lately.

Same here :duck: Like in most cases, the label are actually factual and accurate :smh: Besides, it's not the label themselves, it's letting it limit you, because you label yourself as something, doesn't mean it has to confine you

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

thefamebitch

Hell yeah! I couldn't agree with her more, I've has these type of views for a long time and it's nice to see someone else publicly speak on it.

inuborg

next shes going to say she doesnt want to be labeled a women  :emma:  :haha:

:rip: 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

This is interesting because in Sweden, once you get a swedish passport and become a swedish citizen, you're simply swedish.
No one ever says I'm "african-swedish" or "american-swedish". I mean you can still be proud of your roots and let the world know "where you family comes from" but in Sweden we're all human being despite the color of or skin etc.

Sister

I am with this girl, I am tired of all that sheet!

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Morphine Prince

This is interesting because in Sweden, once you get a swedish passport and become a swedish citizen, you're simply swedish.

No one ever says I'm "african-swedish" or "american-swedish". I mean you can still be proud of your roots and let the world know "where you family comes from" but in Sweden we're all human being despite the color of or skin etc.

I'd like that to happen in the US. Sadly, our racist past has left us with wanting to "make-up" for all the wrong actions so now all these labels are created, which in some instances are still racist on their own. 

FFXSoul91

I don't understand how people aren't getting what she's saying. Like... white people aren't called "British American," are they? "African American" insinuates that you aren't as "American" as someone who's white. That's not the case at all.

Archived