Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

VIDEO: Lana Del Rey "Ultraviolence"

gagaisitalian

Featured Posts

Haroon

I dont think that the video is that random to Lana. Just because we dont understand it doesnt mean the things have no meaning. She clearly makes arts for the sake of it, not to be likeable or understood for masses.

What  I love about the video is that we have the direct view of the camera-holder - her lover. When shes seductively staring at him - shes staring at us. When she is showing her desire by licking his fingers - she is licking our fingers. You gain the direct impression, you can be her cult leader for 4 minutes.

She posted this description with the video pic "Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?". Her character is lost between reality (abusive relationship) and dream (unconditional love between her and her "cult leader"). This clash is represented by a few symbols in the video. Wedding dress, church (the symbol of love, connection etc) X white funeral flowers (the symbol of the death). The hands are depicted in the video in the 2 ways - as symbol of seduction and love by touching your lovers X the symbol of violence when she put her hand on her neck. When you are in abusive relationship, the normally negative things can be seen as negative anymore. Even violence can be felt as an act of deep emotion by your lover towards you. 

True true, it may not be random, but for people looking from the outside it can seem so :huh:

I enjoyed reading your interpretation of it and I'm glad you enjoy this video :yes: My interpretation is totally different and I unfortunately find it very boring :ohno:

I'm hoping any future music videos from Ultraviolence have more elaborate music videos, more along the lines of some of her previous work :yes:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NewYorkCity

The song is SO good.

But this video... :toofloppy: like, for real, it just looks like she woke up and said: k lets do this as fast as possible.

True true, it may not be random, but for people looking from the outside it can seem so :huh:

I enjoyed reading your interpretation of it and I'm glad you enjoy this video :yes: My interpretation is totally different and I unfortunately find it very boring :ohno:

I'm hoping any future music videos from Ultraviolence have more elaborate music videos, more along the lines of some of her previous work :yes:

Probably not. She said : Vice now running ****. Starting w Ultraviolence  which leads us to the impression this is just the beginning of their collaboration,  preferably independent from Interscope. For how many albums has she been signed to ? I could see her going more indie.

Just dont take UV videos as separate narrative acts, but just as pieces of work that help you feel the athmosphere of the music. The more simple and direct the video will be, the more it will help you to truly feel her feelings when she wrote the song. 

Haroon

Probably not. She said : Vice now running ****. Starting w Ultraviolence  which leads us to the impression this is just the beginning of their collaboration,  preferably independent from Interscope. For how many albums has she been signed to ? I could see her going more indie.

Just dont take UV videos as separate narrative acts, but just as pieces of work that help you feel the athmosphere of the music. The more simple and direct the video will be, the more it will help you to truly feel her feelings when she wrote the song. 

I've no clue how long she'll still be with Interscope :omg:

But that's where the problem lies :dies: I like music videos as stimulation to enjoy the music more, to add something to the lyrics or to the meaning or something, even as just pretty pictures to look at while listening to the music if worse comes to worst :giveup: So far they haven't helped me feel anything at all, if anything they've been watering it down :noparty:

I hold hope for future music videos, but if not then I'll get over it, I still enjoy some songs so I'll just stick to listening to it as opposed to watching it (which isn't what I usually do :spin: )

I dont think that the video is that random to Lana. Just because we dont understand it doesnt mean the things have no meaning. She clearly makes arts for the sake of it, not to be likeable or understood by masses.

What  I love about the video is that we have the direct view of the camera-holder - her lover. When shes seductively staring at him - shes staring at us. When she is showing her desire by licking his fingers - she is licking our fingers. You gain the direct impression, you can be her cult leader for 4 minutes.

She posted this description with the video pic "Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?". Her character is lost between reality (abusive relationship) and dream (unconditional love between her and her "cult leader"). This clash is represented by a few symbols in the video. Wedding dress, church (the symbol of love, connection etc) X white funeral flowers (the symbol of the death - the end). The hands are depicted in the video in the 2 ways - as symbol of seduction and love by touching your lover X the symbol body parts which make violence when she put her hand around her neck. When you are in abusive relationship, the normally negative things are not seen as negative anymore. Even violence is felt as an act of deep emotion by your lover towards you. 

Edited

I love this interpretation. Thanks for your insight!

The problem with this era is that Interscope doesn't like the music, so I'm almost positive they're not giving her much money for elaborate videos. They saw no hit singles on the album, so their POV is "why spend money on a video for a song that isn't gonna be a hit?"

LordDisick

Lana sis this song deserved to have a video as flawless as the Summertime Sadness one if it was going to have that old effect :giveup:

Expected something epic for this song.....

but what did yall expect though, it was obvious it was gonna be like this

She isn't doing big expensive videos most likely due to her singles not taking off.

Brooklyn Baby should be next and actually be promoted on live tv

so not true  :roll:  she said shes over her 'over the top'  persona, which applies to the big budget  cinematic videos 

even west coast + shades of cool (the ones that were actual videos) were simplistic 

Desperado

so not true  :roll:  she said shes over her 'over the top'  persona, which applies to the big budget  cinematic videos 

even west coast + shades of cool (the ones that were actual videos) were simplistic 

yep, she didnt wanted to be the girl with the make up, the perfect clothes and hair, all of that was made by her label lol even the album, some songs ended in a way that she didnt like. 

something at least like Shades Of Cool h0jO18e.png

It wasn't that bad

But I think there could be another version of the video, I mean in the album teaser there was an Ultraviolence part totally different

She isn't doing big expensive videos most likely due to her singles not taking off.

Brooklyn Baby should be next and actually be promoted on live tv

They aren't being released to radio.

PopBitch

I'm a fan of the graininess as it goes back more to '70s washed-out film style, and then it's also shot like a home video. I like that. I usually like her videos and think it's one of her strong suits, but this one just went nowhere. I had high hopes for this video because I love the song, but it ended up disappointing. There just needed to be a little something more and she still could keep it simple. She is stunningly beautiful, though, and I loved the veil and dress.

PopBitch

I dont think that the video is that random to Lana. Just because we dont understand it doesnt mean the things have no meaning. She clearly makes arts for the sake of it, not to be likeable or understood by masses.

She posted this description with the video pic "Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?". Her character is lost between reality (abusive relationship) and dream (unconditional love between her and her "cult leader"). This clash is represented by a few symbols in the video. Wedding dress, church (the symbol of love, connection etc) X white funeral flowers (the symbol of the death - the end). The hands are depicted in the video in the 2 ways - as symbol of seduction and love by touching your lover X the symbol body parts which make violence when she put her hand around her neck. When you are in abusive relationship, the normally negative things are not seen as negative anymore. Even violence is felt as an act of deep emotion by your lover towards you. 

Edited

I like your post, and although that may be the intent of the video, it still fell flat. Something was missing. I liked thinking about what it means but it still felt boring. I would have preferred a feeling of danger or something during that long drawn-out walk. I like the symbolism. The execution just fell a little flat.

ItsTommyBitch

I think it was incredibly symbolic. I liked the simplicity, but i think SoC>UV>West Coast is how its all stacking so far with me. SoC's production was heavenly and it had the retro feel with modern settings. The pool scene is BEAUTIFUL and the entire song captured the song's essence so perfectly. 

I heard from someone that Ultraviolence already had a music video and was planned to be the 2nd single since even b4 the album dropped. Some people were talking about the video having already been filmed and i was utterly shocked when SoC had a random video release, because Ultraviolence was supposed to be released. I think she re-shot the video. Maybe the one b4 was high budget and Interscope mangled her image? Lana really does give no ****s about their want to capitalize on her, so slay for that :party:

Theres still even a snippet of a video for Pretty When You Cry, though idk if it will get a full video.

I just want one for Brooklyn Baby :giveup:

Also, that interpretation slays. I think the fact that shes walking through the outdoor chapel place and doesnt find someone there to be pretty important. Is there even love there? Is she really getting "married"? Its literally just seduction and misdirection. Its an illusion and I find her vision to be incredibly effective :flutter:

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Sister

It's nice and I think it suits her and the song in an emotional way. I've liked all of her videos, except for Tropico.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived