Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Why ARTPOP was a success

Ronlop

Featured Posts

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aaronyoji

So the era was a success because Gaga is interested in the idea? 

I think for the era to be a success, she would have to succeed at getting other people interested in it too. I'm not saying the era was a failure, but you provided no proof that it had any impact.

let me put it this way, van gogh did not sell any painting besides one, no one understood his craft nor supported it obviously. now even though he was celebrated years after he died and is one of the most prominent and recognizable artists of our human time, does the fact that he had no impact with his work when he was alive cancel that out at all? obviously not because he is ultimately appreciated and his legacy is in tact. his work is not defined by the lack of support he got during his reign. 

if gaga wrote her very best song, or video, or performance within the next month, if people dont see it that way, does that not actually make it her best work? if it has no "impact" (which is a peculiar word that gets tossed around her a lot) does that not make it of good quality? success may seem like it is only defined by its statistics, its likeablility, how well received it is, but success can also be measured in intention, and long-standing influence. what would that be in the ARTPOP era? well, H&M is collaborating with Jeff Koons, the quintessential andy warhol of the 21st century. Marina Abramovic just did a performance piece reflecting the FIFA world cup, sports and art are almost never used in the same sentence. i think gaga's impact with ARTPOP is not necessarily represented in HER own benefit, but moreso, she is acknowledging its growth in the modern era and how she see herself as a part of a bigger movement currently happening more and more. 

aaronyoji

don't forget she got a huge fan base by hitting the charts

if they became fans because of her chart numbers then thats just pathetic. 

monstereo

if they became fans because of her chart numbers then thats just pathetic. 

If she didn't get high chart numbers she wouldnt have the fans she has now. People wouldnt know about her

Yanko

Dope went top ten and MANiCURE is a fan favorite. Sit down girl. 

what does that have to do with anything? i tought you were calling me a chart monster lol its a great  song imo but she sad ARTPOP was a club banger.........

I guess that depends on what you define as successful, which we obviously all have different ideas about. 

ByeBye49

People are calling ARTPOP a flop while I'm writing songs in a notebook and being just as happy  :coffee:

Define success and we can talk about it then.

This isn't her favourite era. This isn't her most successful era, but it is a good era.  :shrug:

aaronyoji

If she didn't get high chart numbers she wouldnt have the fans she has now. People wouldnt know about her

there are ways to know about underground artists, just fyi. she wouldn't be completely unknown the way you describe. its not like if youre not on top 40 then you dont exist as an artist, quite the contrary most music doesnt revolve around pop, thats what i mean when i say charts shouldn't make up someone's fanbase. sure you know about them more, but she wouldnt be non existent as a musician, just not a top 40 artist. 

MJHolland

what does that have to do with anything? i tought you were calling me a chart monster lol its a great  song imo but she sad ARTPOP was a club banger.........

You said it was a filler lol. Obviously not sis  :ohwell:

It's one of ARTPOP's best pieces 

Yanko

You said it was a filler lol. Obviously not sis  :ohwell:

It's one of ARTPOP's best pieces 

gaga said ARTPOP was a club banger so its filler 

Benji

I wouldn't say it was "successful" but it was certainly interesting and I think you've read a tiny little bit too much into some of what Gaga said.

At the VMAs Gaga said it's a pop/party album and she's continued to add meanings through-out the era, ARTPOP, as it stands to me means taking something typically POP then making and celebrating ART alongside it bringing it back into sight when it is sometimes lost.

Sadly, due to many factors that were not Gaga's fault she hasn't quite been able to fully explore and show off her idea but it did make for an interesting concept.

Benji

You don't need to be a chart hungry fan to acknowledge that this era has let most of us down, including Gaga.

Agreed, the fact even her first performance was taken away from her then slowly every one after was being influenced by a label that Gaga was constantly trying to fight clearly shows she can't not be disappointed. The ARTPOP we got and the ARTPOP that was planned are very different.

Benji

Don't fall into arguing about charts with anyone.

We all remember the time nearly every fan would literally use Gaga's charts and sales to slam down others but now the shoe is on the other foot they hate it.

But I agree with your statement, if she didn't get on the charts then most of the fans here now would have never been here.

Wet Fire

The album was successful. Light years away from being a flop lol. Anyway, the main reason behind it being successful is that the music is terrific. It's tremendously unboring, saturated with commandable production, oriented with epic vocals, beautified with stunning hooks and amazing lyrics. That's all. Discussing about the success of an album without thinking about how the music is so not me. I like it when artists 'flop' to save their vision only to become stronger in future.

Archived