Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

NY Post drags Katy Perry and her Prismatic Tour

yxi

Featured Posts

ryhanna

I'm indifferent towards Katy, but I do agree with a lot of this review.

One thing that bothers me about Katy is that she's almost 30 but still has the persona of a 13 year old. I get that she aims herself towards teenagers and kids but the immaturity in her music and image just bothers me.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Benji

Even for pop though shes obnoxiously juvenile. People keep saying in here that "its her thing" well cool, that doesn't justify it. People are paying attention to her clearly, no doubts about that, her popularity is not in question here. But what should be in question at this point (5 years into her career) is what the hell does she actually provide in pop music? She really provides nothing. Shes a tween-centric artist thats had or is having her heyday but I honestly don't find her to be very talented and I don't think shes interesting. You can be shallow and bubblegum and still be dope as ****. She just isn't imo. Shes aggressively bland.

To be honest, the people that consume Katy Perry (buy her records, go see her in concert) are people that consume anything. Shes shoved down all of our throats against our will and shes inoffensive and attractive enough for that to result in profit. But thats not going to matter much in the long run, you can say someone like Britney Spears made herself an icon from such a description, but the difference between Katy Perry and Britney Spears is the fact that Britney Spears became a compelling public spectacle and an example of child superstardom and the horrors of corporate pop.

People always forget MANY pop legends start their career by making simple yet relatable pop bops.

Clearly it's not for the more criticle but for many people who just want a little music in their lives, Katy's simplicity and vagueness is something many can bop to.

Like I said before you quoted me, she still has plenty of time to evolve into a more "sophisticated" artist but for now she can easily pull off the "cute", "fun" pop girl image.

Katy clearly doesn't take her current persona seriously so why do we? She's a fun artist, taking her seriously is not part of her agenda so why do people strive to take her seriously?

When she makes a clear, obvious attempt to be serious then for all means, take her seriously but until then... Enjoy her simplistic and fun. That's what she is doing, providing fun to the industry.

Not every artist has to back art such as koons or abromivich (can't be bothered to find correct spelling as on mobile) to prove they are an "artist", no shade to gaga at all, I love what she does, hence why I am here but people also love simple, pop tunes and that is exactly what Katy perry delivers.

blacklistedd

People always forget MANY pop legends start their career by making simple yet relatable pop bops.

Clearly it's not for the more criticle but for many people who just want a little music in their lives, Katy's simplicity and vagueness is something many can bop to.

Like I said before you quoted me, she still has plenty of time to evolve into a more "sophisticated" artist but for now she can easily pull off the "cute", "fun" pop girl image.

Katy clearly doesn't take her current persona seriously so why do we? She's a fun artist, taking her seriously is not part of her agenda so why do people strive to take her seriously?

When she makes a clear, obvious attempt to be serious then for all means, take her seriously but until then... Enjoy her simplistic and fun. That's what she is doing, providing fun to the industry.

Not every artist has to back art such as koons or abromivich (can't be bothered to find correct spelling as on mobile) to prove they are an "artist", no shade to gaga at all, I love what she does, hence why I am here but people also love simple, pop tunes and that is exactly what Katy perry delivers.

I'm not saying every artist in mainstream media or every artist in general has to be lofty and pretentious to be good. That is not the case and I find it annoying that you immediately run to that statement. Also, I think its a little tired defending an artist for being shallow because thats just what they are and we should just enjoy it for what it is. Sometimes that is the case, however to even be a shallow pop star requires more than what she has to offer. I think shes shoved down peoples throats and shes made some infectious singles and therefore profit has been made and attention is given for now. But what im saying is that imo she has nothing to offer even in terms of shallow pop music. Theres just nothing there. Rihanna is way more dynamic and equally as shallow.

Benji

I'm not saying every artist in mainstream media or every artist in general has to be lofty and pretentious to be good. That is not the case and I find it annoying that you immediately run to that statement. Also, I think its a little tired defending an artist for being shallow because thats just what they are and we should just enjoy it for what it is. Sometimes that is the case, however to even be a shallow pop star requires more than what she has to offer. I think shes shoved down peoples throats and shes made some infectious singles and therefore profit has been made and attention is given for now. But what im saying is that imo she has nothing to offer even in terms of shallow pop music. Theres just nothing there. Rihanna is way more dynamic and equally as shallow.

Why are you annoyed I ran to that statement though? It's clear that she has completely different intentions with her music than Gaga or whoever you want to mention.

Katy churns out #1s because of her simplicity and relatable-ness , she wants number ones so she creates albums full of potentials. Sure, we shouldn't just accept it and give her more credit than what is due but she's not striving for more than this so why throw allegations at her that clearly don't even apply to her current objective?

When she starts taking herself seriously, then I will take her seriously. For now, if you find it hard to take her for what she is, turn the dial on your radio or something. She's set out to please a majority and that's exactly what she is doing,

Arizonadream777

Mmm...but that's her thing. Its like Lana being a glorified tumblr girl and Gaga's wannabe art.

You and other katy stans better enjoy her success while it lasts because it will end, it always does. And then she will be done. At least gaga has talent to fall back on. C2C anyone?

blacklistedd

Why are you annoyed I ran to that statement though? It's clear that she has completely different intentions with her music than Gaga or whoever you want to mention.

Katy churns out #1s because of her simplicity and relatable-ness , she wants number ones so she creates albums full of potentials. Sure, we shouldn't just accept it and give her more credit than what is due but she's not striving for more than this so why throw allegations at her that clearly don't even apply to her current objective?

When she starts taking herself seriously, then I will take her seriously. For now, if you find it hard to take her for what she is, turn the dial on your radio or something. She's set out to please a majority and that's exactly what she is doing,

I found it annoying because this isn't about Gaga, I wasn't making it about Gaga, and just because I like Gaga does not mean I think in order to respect an artist they have to be like her or whatever.

This also isn't even about taking her seriously. I know shes not trying to be serious, I know shes not trying to be lofty, but theres still a matter of having something compelling about you and what you make that makes you good even if you're shallow and I don't think she has that. The majority that consumes her consumes anything thats put in their face, she just happens to be the current course. It has little to actually do with what she is putting on the table.

aaronyoji

Exactly. She's not an obviously older woman trying to act like a teenager (see: Mariah Carey), she actually fits the part in every way (i.e. looks, her material, her public image). Her songs are actually good and catchy and her show is fun and entertaining. :awkney:

AND can society stop acting like because a woman's divorced she should give up on her life and join a nunnery? This is 2014.

see this part i actually genuinely disagreed with, mentioning shes divorced (not a divorcee, because she shouldnt be defined by it) is so archaic, this idea that she's less than or "washed up now because a man didn't stay married to her."

Benji

I found it annoying because this isn't about Gaga, I wasn't making it about Gaga, and just because I like Gaga does not mean I think in order to respect an artist they have to be like her or whatever.

This also isn't even about taking her seriously. I know shes not trying to be serious, I know shes not trying to be lofty, but theres still a matter of having something compelling about you and what you make that makes you good even if you're shallow and I don't think she has that. The majority that consumes her consumes anything thats put in their face, she just happens to be the current course. It has little to actually do with what she is putting on the table.

Well clearly what she is putting on the table is working for her. I enjoy a lot of her songs, no doubt because they are crafted to be enjoyable but that's no reason to discredit her. This article completely over looks how it must feel to go through what she has been through and yet still put on a smile and act like a teenager again.

Katy deserves what she has for being an entertainer, she's put aside her pride to truely entertain us and that is exactly what she's done.

aaronyoji

Its so refreshing to see a publication acknowledge how obnoxiously juvenile she is even for a pop artist instead of just shallowly praising her solely on the merits of her being non-pretentious.

Even for pop though shes obnoxiously juvenile. People keep saying in here that "its her thing" well cool, that doesn't justify it. People are paying attention to her clearly, no doubts about that, her popularity is not in question here. But what should be in question at this point (5 years into her career) is what the hell does she actually provide in pop music? She really provides nothing. Shes a tween-centric artist thats had or is having her heyday but I honestly don't find her to be very talented and I don't think shes interesting. You can be shallow and bubblegum and still be dope as ****. She just isn't imo. Shes aggressively bland.

To be honest, the people that consume Katy Perry (buy her records, go see her in concert) are people that consume anything.  Shes shoved down all of our throats against our will and shes inoffensive and attractive enough for that to result in profit. But thats not going to matter much in the long run, you can say someone like Britney Spears made herself an icon from such a description, but the difference between Katy Perry and Britney Spears is the fact that Britney Spears became a compelling public spectacle and an example of child superstardom and the horrors of corporate pop.

"Because artistes grow even if success might diminish? You'd probably love it if Gaga was still churning out songs from TF, still had blonde bangs and RedOne was still producing everything"

thank you! both of you :applause: :applause: 

blacklistedd

Well clearly what she is putting on the table is working for her. I enjoy a lot of her songs, no doubt because they are crafted to be enjoyable but that's no reason to discredit her. This article completely over looks how it must feel to go through what she has been through and yet still put on a smile and act like a teenager again.

Katy deserves what she has for being an entertainer, she's put aside her pride to truely entertain us and that is exactly what she's done.

She doesn't entertain me, I don't believe shes much of an entertainer, I don't feel she deserves much credit. And I don't say this as a "gaga fan" (as I know my being one seems to unfortunately and against my will invalidate my personal opinion of Katy by default) I say this as someone who appreciates pop music. I mean honestly we'll probably keep going in circles seeing as we're on two different ends of the spectrum in regards to Katy Perrys validity, but im just throwing my point of view out into the ether and thats it. Just a discussion of the frivolous.

RAMROD

Will she make a film out of this tour too like the last time?

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

blacklistedd

Drop the off-topic Gaga argument. 

There is no off topic Gaga argument. It was one miniscule aspect of a larger discussion we were having. Acknowledge that please.

(unless you were not referring to the conversation I was having in which nvm lol)

Archived