Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner

OFFICIAL LA ROUX THREAD - UPTIGHT DOWNTOWN

LORD GAGA

Featured Posts

LORD GAGA

Hello everyone :whitney:

La-Roux-Trouble-In-Paradise-Deluxe-Box-S

You might remember the hit maker La Roux from her singles Bulletproof, In for the kill and Quicksand... she's now back and imo better than ever, she's starting a new tour and has released the first single from her album TROUBLE IN PARADISE, a track i think is very fitting for the summer, laid back and chilled. She preformed in Times Square NYC on Good morning America recently and the single will be released 13th July!!! You can preorder it now on iTunes and on Amazon if you want the Vinyl edition (her vinyl editions are always amazing) - 

AMAZON VINYL:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KMJEFNC/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

ITUNES (RELEASE 29th JUNE):

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/uptight-downtown-single/id881280741

ALBUM:

PHYSICAL:

http://store.universalmusic.com/laroux/?utm_campaign=LaRouxEcommStore&utm_content=LaRouxEcommStore&utm_medium=Referral&utm_source=ArtistWebsite

ITUNES:

http://po.st/TIPws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCLiNDx1qU

LORD GAGA

I love Uptight Downtown

Its so 80s pop-ish... and so laid back, my summer jam tbh :woot:

If you haven't pre-ordered the single/album I'm judging you :awkney:

Jay.P

Its so 80s pop-ish... and so laid back, my summer jam tbh :woot:

If you haven't pre-ordered the single/album I'm judging you :awkney:

I'll get the physical one, I don't like buying digital music :whitney:

Do you hear that? It's poison.

LORD GAGA

Uptight downtown is :giveup: 2good tbh

YAS :whitney:

I'll get the physical one, I don't like buying digital music :whitney:

Lmao same as me :laughga:

I preordered the box set and the single on vinyl from amazon :whitney:

LORD GAGA

I love this new song

YASSSSSS :whitney:

We really need a proper La Roux thread

I'll turn this into one :laughga:

squeala

There's a great track by track first review of Trouble In Paradise on NME.com!

‘Uptight Downtown’

The first proper single to emerge from ‘Trouble In Paradise’, you’ll have already heard this one – and if you’ve heard it once, then chances are it’ll be wedged firmly in your brain space for a long time to come. Possible even trumping old earworm ‘In For The Kill’ for La Roux’s catchiest track to date, it’s like Club Tropicana gone electro as Jackson’s falsetto coos about the “temperature rising†around melodies born to make you shimmy. As strong an opening as they come.

’Kiss and Not Tell’

Dials are still set firmly to ‘hook-laden’, but here Jackson strips things back to bleepy minimalism. Full of video game-style blips and chirpy, Casio plonks, it’s – you imagine – what Lily Allen was gunning for on the lighter end of current album ‘Sheezus’. Sure, it’s got as much hidden depth as a paddling pool, but its twinkling irreverence is kind of the point.

’Cruel Sexuality’

“It’s a dangerous thing/ When passion turns into greed/ Cruel s-xuality/ Am I a fool to let you trouble me?†croons Jackson with the kind of sprightly falsetto that would lend itself more fittingly to musings about the innate difficulty in choosing between a margarita and a martini. Musically, however, ‘Cruel Sexuality’ is still full of tropical beats and shimmering synths; ‘Trouble in Paradise’ so far seems to have picked up where the debut left off and transported it to a Caribbean beach.

’Paradise Is You’

“The palm trees make it feel like a paradise/ But without you here there’s nothing nice,†begins ‘Paradise Is You’; we’re still on La Roux’s newly found tropical island, but things are clearly starting to take a turn for the stormy. The first drop in pace, this marks one of the most straight-forward numbers of La Roux’s career to date. Plaintive keyboards abound, while Jackson’s yearning vocal takes centre stage. OK, so her sentiments aren’t exactly Shakespearian, but you know you’ll be listening to this, weeping at 3am after one too many gins at some point soon.

’Sexotheque’

Rather than the loose-moralled eyebrow-raiser that the dirty disco of its title suggests, ‘Sexoteque’ is actually a relatively peppy admonishment of a man who, shamefully, spends all his time at the ‘s-xoteque’. Despite Jackson’s annoyance that he’s “never at home†and “never answers the phoneâ€, you can’t help but think that maybe the devious love rat in question is just trying to get a break from the incessantly peppy soundtrack on offer there. Not the album’s finest hour. Also, is that a pan pipe?!

’Tropical Chancer’

This is better. Despite cod-reggae literally being the worst genre ever committed to tape, the subtlety of ‘Tropical Chancer’s grooves allows it to pass the test. “'Tropical Chancer' bounces along with a beach bar-ready reggae motif and a backside-wobbling low end,†wrote NME’s Ben Homewood on this track’s initial debut. An impressively adept change in direction.

’Silent Partner’

After the departure of co-founder Ben Langmaid – who wrote and produced alongside Jackson, but never performed live with La Roux – it’s not too much of an imagination stretch to see what this track could be about. “You’re not my partner, no you’re not a part of me/ All I need is silence,†she sings over bubbling, 80s synths and one of the most defiant melodies of the album. Undulating across seven-minutes, it’s like an updated ‘I Feel Love’, but with distinctly less doe-eyed sentiments. An easy highlight, it’s pretty clear who’s winning here.

’Let Me Down Gently’

The first track to emerge online, ‘Let Me Down Gently’ seemed to signal a new introverted and self-critical path from the formerly bulletproof star. “A breathy exorcism of moody melodies and broken-hearted soul-purging, 'Let Me Down Gently' does everything a breakup anthem should, tapping into the frayed cluster**** of anger, upset and desperate bargaining that comes with the end of a relationship,†wrote NME.com’s Assistant Editor, Al Horner. More than a month down the line and Jackson’s most soul-baring moment still packs an affecting punch.

’The Feeling’

Thankfully of no relation to the wet-behind-the-ears pop combo of the same name, ‘The Feeling’ instead takes Enya-esque ambient synth purrs and backs them against the kind of gentle melodic sweeps that are born for soundtracking the end of the night when dawn is breaking and everything is bathed is a particularly content kind of calm. A satisfying wind-down to an album that tries to hide its emotions on the dancefloor, but still flickers with a newfound sense of heart.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived