Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Confusion with the GP and Gaga

MurderLipstick

Featured Posts

monstereo

Back then her music was so good that it allowed her to do those things (dressing extravagantly), etc. But now that the music isn't so good people think she's relying on her costumes to remain relevant.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hold on. If any American woman in that business has a right to be proud of what she's accomplished, even in a "bad" era, it's Gaga.

I am not saying she should not be proud. Her rise was meteoric and she worked her ass off to make it happen, she had talent and the TEAM to assist her.

But to me, the quality, the consistency of her creative output/shows/art/looks took a significant dip with ARTPOP. Also, her inability to recognize that is pernicious to her success because that means she is divorced from reality.

You may argue with me on it, and if you're a true fan, you will, but it's just reality and sales/general response to this record prove me right - not that it is something I am happy about.

The current decline of LG is very bad for record industry in general because they were already not likely to take chances on artists who were different or stood out - they did it with her and they hit jackpot. Unfortunately, if she doesn't regain her stature, to them it's another reason not to take a chance on another outstanding, interesting, odd artist.

Her downfall, IMO, lies in her inability to admit that she is not EVERYTHING and can't do EVERYTHING by herself BRILLIANTLY.

Being an active and successful artist also means having terrific instincts and ability to be humble. She may learn the latter, but it may be too late.

djBuffoon

You may argue with me on it, and if you're a true fan, you will, but it's just reality and sales/general response to this record prove me right - not that it is something I am happy about.

I can't argue that she is less popular these days, it's hard to argue with numbers. But I will happily argue that the music is as good as it's ever been. But regardless, I'm anxious for Gaga to decide whether she will cater to what everyone expects from her going forward, or if she will continue to defiantly pave her own way. I hope for the latter, if anything that she's said this era is going to have any credence.

It's not really the GP who have negative opinions about Gaga, it is more the stanbases and the media. :laughga:

The GP was here for Applause and DWUW. They are here for anything "catchy" and "good" that Gaga releases that receives proper promotion and spins on the radio. We are acting like Gaga is more important than she is. She is everything to us, just another voice on the radio to the GP (pretty much). The GP doesn't keep up with popstars the way we do. We aren't the GP. :tea:

This ;)

Michael

Born This Way era was too much for some people.

And if we are being honest, even though the meat dress is by far the most iconic moment of Gaga's career so far and the GP went crazy over it, that was probably the beginning of her decline with them.

The GP celebrated Gaga when she was quirky and different. When they felt that she began bordering on weird and strange, they weren't into her anymore.

MurderLipstick

People have complained about how she is just a gimmick and dresses up for attention for her whole career. People just got oversatturated with Gaga. She can't be on top 24/7.

But to be honest only only 2 songs charted number 1 during her "peak" while the rest were in the top 5, and 10 I think as well. That didn't change until MTN, with the exception of BTW reaching the top; and now with DWUW and GUY charting under the top 10

I could care less about the charts trust me, but I just don't understand when people say how she's not a number 1 artist any more. That opinion really started to emerge when Applause came out. It just doesn't make any sense.

GagaDragon

I love BTW a lot! it's easily one of my most favourite albums i have listened to. But that really was a massive turning point in her career. Whatever support she had from the GP completely diminished after it.

The signs were there during Alejandro tbh, i remember people kinda backing off from that point.

Bebe

But to be honest only only 2 songs charted number 1 during her "peak" while the rest were in the top 5, and 10 I think as well. That didn't change until MTN, with the exception of BTW reaching the top; and now with DWUW and GUY charting under the top 10

I could care less about the charts trust me, but I just don't understand when people say how she's not a number 1 artist any more. That opinion really started to emerge when Applause came out. It just doesn't make any sense.

Why are you focusing on singles? Single success, album success, awards/accolades, tour revenue, video success was better during TF/M and BTW. She was the biggest global artist at one point in her career.

If you want to focus on singles, singles charted better during TF, TFM and BTW than during ARTPOP. It isn't about her getting a #1 single every time she releases something.

She had incredible single sales WW. Just Dance sold 10 mill, Poker Face sold 14mill, Bad Romance sold 10mill, Born This Way sold 8.4 mill, Telephone sold 7.4 mill. Applause should break 3 million at some point.

TF/M sold 15 million copies worldwide, BTW sold 6 million copies worldwide, ARTPOP has sold 2.3 million copies.

Lady Gaga at one point was #1. Now I would say the biggest star is Beyonce.

Oscar

Everyone needs to stop blaming the Born This Way era. Yes it was the start of her decay but the GP really don't remember. It hasn't hurt her for the ARTPOP era in anyway not when Applause hit the top 10 and DWUW did really well without a music video. The GP doesn't look back and say "I don't like her because TEOG music video sucked" like they have a short memory span so they don't care. 

I honestly think Gaga now is just irrelevant. The actual GP have no opinion about her. All they talk about is Miley or whatever. 

And also ARTPOP is a far better album than TF. TF only has like 4 -5 songs with actual good quality. A lot of you are biased because of how iconic she was and that had to do with a lot of different factors. ARTPOP is a really good album and the GP that knows it, loves it. The problem is that most of the GP is not aware of the album.  The fans on the other hand are her biggest haters this era. 

I think that the quality of her work is not decreasing but we're just getting less of it. We have to wait months for her next big thing that wows us. 

Computer

I think it's a lot of factors:

1. Born This Way (single and album). It was a huge, brave risk but people were put off by the religious themes and strange new sound. It narrowed her audience significantly.

2. She kickstarted the avant garde/"crazy" fashion trend in 2008 and didn't evolve from that. Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and Kesha started dressing like clowns because it was popular. Then society changed, as it always does, and those pop stars changed their styles, too. But Gaga didn't change because she wasn't following a trend; she was just being herself. And the majority of people don't "get" that, so they think she's still stuck in 2010.

3. The media decided to make her into a public hate figure and this became a whole lot easier when her popularity declined and her controversial antics became more frequent. It also didn't help that she started to respond to the negativity, which is something she hadn't done before. The GP started to think exactly how the media wanted them to think.

4. The enigma disappeared. Gaga started showing everybody the "girl behind the aura". She opened up about her boyfriend, her private life, her family; she went from befriending the living legends to fraternizing with Katy Perry and One Direction; she lowered herself by responding to the negativity of talentless celebrities, which resulted in public spats and feuds; she publicly admitted she was mismanaged and acknowledged how unstable her career was. And in doing all these things, she lost the mystery that made her so interesting in the first place. She became the "celebrity" she vehemently denied she was. 

5. She disappeared for half a year. Even while on tour with BTW, the media talked about her semi-regularly. Then in Feb 2013, it was as if she stopped existing in pop culture. We saw no sign of her for months and she rarely kept in contact with her fans. Obviously she was going through a very hard time, but I believe this blackout was a big reason why she's just fallen off the radar. It didn't help that she came back with a lukewarm, safe lead single that was unfortunately pitted against a more popular song.

6. She released an album called ARTPOP. With a name like that, it was doomed from the start, no matter how good it was.

:tea: :tea: :tea:

All of the above, especially #4 and #6

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

PopBitch

People aren't as into her music.  The album didn't click, considered by many not up to her standard.  Her dressing bizarrely every day or three times a day wore thin from sometime during the Born This Way era on to this era.  Nothing new, no longer shocking.   She became too pretentious the last era, and the art thing this era that really didn't match most of the songs and kind of fell flat in promo kind of did her in as far as creating more sales.  Her successful tour and reviews proves she isn't done at all and still a huge artist with a big name in the industry.

But as far as sales, anyone will be back buying if it's great music.  It's as simple as that.  Maybe not the masses from The Fame Monster, but a portion,, and not just casual fans but many fans who have lost interest.  You can dismiss them all by saying GP, but that's not true.  Many fans also aren't as invested this era because they aren't as into the music.

PopBitch

Everyone needs to stop blaming the Born This Way era. Yes it was the start of her decay but the GP really don't remember. It hasn't hurt her for the ARTPOP era in anyway not when Applause hit the top 10 and DWUW did really well without a music video. The GP doesn't look back and say "I don't like her because TEOG music video sucked" like they have a short memory span so they don't care. 

I honestly think Gaga now is just irrelevant. The actual GP have no opinion about her. All they talk about is Miley or whatever. 

And also ARTPOP is a far better album than TF. TF only has like 4 -5 songs with actual good quality. A lot of you are biased because of how iconic she was and that had to do with a lot of different factors. ARTPOP is a really good album and the GP that knows it, loves it. The problem is that most of the GP is not aware of the album.  The fans on the other hand are her biggest haters this era. 

I think that the quality of her work is not decreasing but we're just getting less of it. We have to wait months for her next big thing that wows us. 

Most of the GP is not aware of the album?  LOL  That's funny.  She's a huge name.  It's everywhere when her album was dropping and leading up to it.  The GP knew about her album just the same as they knew about any other big musical act getting ready to drop their album, promos, single beforehand, which hers was on the radio, TV appearances, going on iTunes looking at their new releases, articles in high-profile music sites like Billboard, Rollingstone  Far more people knew about her album dropping than a smaller-tier star or a less flashy musical act.  Gaga has a huge twitter following compared to most acts, so where were they in the album sales?

Oscar

Most of the GP is not aware of the album?  LOL  That's funny.  She's a huge name.  It's everywhere when her album was dropping and leading up to it.  The GP knew about her album just the same as they knew about any other big musical act getting ready to drop their album, promos, single beforehand, which hers was on the radio, TV appearances, going on iTunes looking at their new releases, articles in high-profile music sites like Billboard, Rollingstone  Far more people knew about her album dropping than a smaller-tier star.

Right because everyone on the street knows the name ARTPOP :awkney: Most people haven't even heard of G.U.Y :awkney: No one but pop music fans check billboard, rollingstone. Her T.V appearances promoted the singles she performed not the album itself. That's why Applause did well. 

Glamourpuss

It's because people love to see others fail. When you think of American Idol, XFactor etc. People soon get sick of the contestants and enjoy seeing their downfall.

When an artist goes crazy and has a breakdown people love the drama like its some sort of freak show. People want Gaga to fail because the general population are spiteful pricks and that's the way humanity is unfortunately.

Archived