Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

How Lady Gaga cemented herself as a legend with ARTPOP

Bebe

Featured Posts

Tokyo Rose

I don't think you understand.

Lady Gaga is "The Fame" that is her art and it has been from the beginning.

Saying "Lady Gaga Is The Fame" is a nonsensical answer to my comment.

My comment was about how attaching yourself to perceived "legends" doesn't make you a legend yourself.

I would hope that is not the whole point of her collaborating with these people (as your reply highly implies).

She seems to insist these are organic collaborations, so that would be contradictory.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TimisaMonster

Collaborations do not a legend make

:tea:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Knife

Gaga may be making great strides in the art world, but in the music world, she's slipping.

It doesn't matter how entrenched you are in pop culture if your music isn't up to snuff.

Bebe

Saying "Lady Gaga Is The Fame" is a nonsensical answer to my comment.

My comment was about how attaching yourself to perceived "legends" doesn't make you a legend yourself.

I would hope that is not the whole point of her collaborating with these people (as your reply highly implies).

She seems to insist these are organic collaborations, so that would be contradictory.

It isn't nonsensical. I know what your comment was about but it missed the mark completely.

I genuinely don't know how long you have been a fan, but it seems like you jumped on board during BTW and completely forgot about what Gaga has been saying about her artwork since the beginning of her career.

Her work has always revolved around the concept of "Fame". Now she is immortalising herself in pop culture and the art world by associating herself with some of the most relevant cultural icons and artists and re-creating their work.

I'm sure the collaborations are organic, I don't see how that is contradictory to what I am saying. Lady Gaga from the beginning has used "THE FAME" as the subject of her work.

634.liz.gaga.mh.100312.jpg

CNN+Larry+King+Live+Lady+Gaga.jpg

vlcsnap_0865320019.jpg

lady-gaga-madonna(1).jpgtumblr_m7dg5mZZIr1r4xekvo2_500.png

gaga_nhlrr.jpg

article-2512513-199A5E4200000578-102_634

She is doing the same thing she has always done, except now she is re-creating imagery from famous artworks as well.

She is imprinting HER image on other famous images. Lady Gaga is "The Fame" and the fame is her artwork. She is immortalising her image by reinterpreting other popular images.

artpoprebellion

There's definitely been some legendary moments this era but some of the things she did in other eras were maybe more iconic and used to identify her today. A good example being the meat dress.

Tokyo Rose

It isn't nonsensical. I know what your comment was about but it missed the mark completely.

I genuinely don't know how long you have been a fan, but it seems like you jumped on board during BTW and completely forgot about what Gaga has been saying about her artwork since the beginning of her career.

Her work has always revolved around the concept of "Fame". Now she is immortalising herself in pop culture and the art world by associating herself with some of the most relevant cultural icons and artists and re-creating their work.

I'm sure the collaborations are organic, I don't see how that is contradictory to what I am saying. Lady Gaga from the beginning has used "THE FAME" as the subject of her work.

She is imprinting HER image on other famous images. She is "The Fame".

I have been a fan since Just Dance, which means I have had plenty of time to nit-pick her career, is she a legend? why isn't she? why is she?

And I've gotten quite sick of the topic. I choose to associate myself with Born This Way more than her other albums for a very specific reason. I value sincerity over all else in art.

When you become desperate to stamp yourself with the word "art", and feel such a longing to prove that, the work becomes perverted as we see in her latest album "ARTPOP". 

When the noise of your "team" drowns out your individuality, the work is perverted.

When media criticism of a previous album directly cues the direction of your following album, the work is perverted.

Ignore all hatred and criticism. Live for what you create, and die protecting it. -Lady Gaga, 2011

enjoy ur "fame art"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfviND95xRw

Bebe

There's definitely been some legendary moments this era but some of the things she did in other eras were maybe more iconic and used to identify her today. A good example being the meat dress.

Gaga has her own iconic moments that will be remembered. The 2009 VMA performance, BR video, Meat Dress are some examples of that. 

What this thread is really about though, is how she imbedded herself in pop culture and art in order to immortalise herself. Essentially she is making it so that you talk about a famous person, a famous brand or a famous artwork and Gaga's image is imprinted onto that legacy.

It basically guarantees that she will be remembered, and that her work will be talked about, for a very long time.

artpoprebellion

Gaga has her own iconic moments that will be remembered. The 2009 VMA performance, BR video, Meat Dress are some examples of that. 

What this thread is really about though, is how she imbedded herself in pop culture and art in order to immortalise herself. Essentially she is making it so that you talk about a famous person, a famous brand or a famous artwork and Gaga's image is imprinted onto that legacy.

It basically guarantees that she will be remembered, and that her work will be talked about, for a very long time.

Exactly. And she has proven this throughout this era. She will be remembered for years and years to come. 

Bebe

I have been a fan since Just Dance, which means I have had plenty of time to nit-pick her career, is she a legend? why isn't she? why is she?

And I've gotten quite sick of the topic. I choose to associate myself with Born This Way more than her other albums for a very specific reason. I value sincerity over all else in art.

When you become desperate to stamp yourself with the word "art", and feel such a longing to prove that, the work becomes perverted as we see in her latest album "ARTPOP". 

When the noise of your "team" drowns out your individuality, the work is perverted.

When media criticism of a previous album directly cues the direction of your following album, the work is perverted.

enjoy ur "fame art"

:lmao: 

"When media criticism of a previous album directly cues the direction of your following album, the work is perverted."

I don't remember when that happened? 

"I value sincerity over all else in art.  When you become desperate to stamp yourself with the word "art", and feel such a longing to prove that, the work becomes perverted."

What makes ARTPOP insincere? :smh:

She has called herself an artist and her work art from throughout the TF,TFM and BTW. She is an artist and a pop star and always has been. Why is it so shocking or desperate for her to explore fame through art? And why is it such a horrible thing for Gaga to call her work art? It's odd because you seem to think she is an artist and popstar but have a problem with her naming her work ARTPOP... :huh:

"enjoy ur "fame art""

Lady-Gaga-Louvre-1.jpg

gaga-kelly-terry-photo.jpg

grid-cell-25735-1395768124-51.jpg

Venus_by_Lady_Gaga_No.1.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-4_oXMBcg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNu_-deVemE

http://vimeo.com/71919803

I am :)

badgalriri

Uhm i wouldn't say ARTPOP the album made her a legend. if anything the music kind of hurt her image even more than Born This Way did imo. ARTPOP made her very VERY irrelevant to the general public. Remember kids, if theres no interest from the public we're going to start hearing less and less about ha in the media. If no one cares, no music gets made. But the artistic view i guess was cool. it was definitely the least interesting of her career imo. 

tokyodisko

Working with these people can be admirable, but outside of the fanbase or hardcore artists, it's forgettable. 

Versace? She was the face of Versace. Many brands go through many faces. 

Richardson- you mean a man who has photographed pretty much everybody? How unique. 

R.Kelly? People hate him. Why do you think the video and song never got properly promoted for long? 

I would say TFM/BTW cemented her as a legend and this was a drawback outside of the fanbase. 

She'll slay again someday though.

tokyodisko

enjoy ur "fame art"

I don't agree with you often, but I agree with most of this- she is way too reactive to what people and media say to the point that it dims her shine- except JnD- I think that is one of the most genuine tracks on the album- it might not be a genre you like, but it's a solid, albeit silly, song. 

Tokyo Rose

:lmao:

"When media criticism of a previous album directly cues the direction of your following album, the work is perverted."

I don't remember when that happened? 

"I value sincerity over all else in art.  When you become desperate to stamp yourself with the word "art", and feel such a longing to prove that, the work becomes perverted."

What makes ARTPOP insincere? :smh:

She has called herself an artist and her work art from throughout the TF,TFM and BTW. She is an artist and a pop star and always has been. Why is it so shocking or desperate for her to explore fame through art? And why is it such a horrible thing for Gaga to call her work art? It's odd because you seem to think she is an artist and popstar but have a problem with her naming her work ARTPOP... :huh:

I am :)

Ok first of all I have no problem with her calling herself an artist. 

I have a problem with her desperation to associate herself to the word art. These are two different things.

I loved the title ARTPOP when she announced it, I thought it would be her best album yet for sure. Because I thought it referred to the music.

I didn't know "ARTPOP" meant stamping yourself with various other artists/brands and responding to every criticism the media makes to your work to the tune of your most substanceless music yet.

ARTPOP also contains more outside input than any other album, including entire backtracks created by someone else and then bought after the fact.

Anyway, your reply consisted more of condescending emoticons and spewing out images than it did actually responding to what I said, so I think we're done here.

Archived