• Volanti
    • Volantis
    • Other - please specify

Featured Posts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loribb

Volantis is genitive singular form of Latin word volans which means "flying object" or "bird". Nominative of plural would go volantes.

N     volans

G     volantis

D     volanti

A     volantem

V     volans

Ab   volante

plural

n     volantes

g     volantium

d     volantibus

a     volantes

v      volantes

ab   volantibus

:whitney:

Haroon

mvdch.gif

LOOOOOOOL OMG THIS GIF :lmao: What an amazingly appropriate moment to use it as well :lmao:

Also, you've been waiting to use that gif haven't you? :omfgaga:

I honestly didn't :dies: I googled "Volantis gif" to make the OP look more fun :laughga:

Donatello

It's not subject to vote, though  :flop: This is latin, and latin has rules, like any other language.

Exceptions say hi. The plural of arthritis is arthritides. 

The vote should've been Volantes vs Volantides though (yet neither is there  :smh: ).

Haroon

The vote should've been Volantes vs Volantides though (yet neither is there  :smh: ).

Sorry :noparty: I didn't really think of either, I just put down the three that I'd heard most on the forum and left an "Other" option for any other thoughts  :shrug:

Kermit the frog

Volantis looks like a 3rd declension noun in Latin (to be precise it looks like the genitive singular of volans, the present participle of volare, 'to fly'). The plural would be volantes. 

Those who say it should be volanti are confusing the 3rd declension with the 2nd declension.

Came here to go all latin plurals on them but ofc u were first :giveup:

It could be Volanti if the singular form was Volantus.

calmar

Came here to go all latin plurals on them but ofc u were first :giveup:

It could be Volanti if the singular form was Volantus.

Of course it was me. :usrs:

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

calmar

The exception is that arthritis is the surface realization of an underlying *arthritid. Latin does not like /d/ in coda position in a word and thus changed it to /s/. 

Because volantis is etymologically the genitive singular of an active participle (vol-a-nt-), *volantides would make less sense. Coincidentally, *volant was realized as volans. (I'm guessing 'volant' would mean they fly.)

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

Kermit the frog

The exception is that arthritis is the surface realization of an underlying *arthritid. Latin does not like /d/ in coda position in a word and thus changed it to /s/. 

Because volantis is etymologically the genitive singular of an active participle (vol-a-nt-), *volantides would make less sense. Coincidentally, *volant was realized as volans. (I'm guessing 'volant' would mean they fly.)

ur knowledge is impressive

calmar

ur knowledge is impressive

Thank you. 

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

I agree with Volantes? I think I remember being taught that words ending in -is change to -es in the plural. For example, the plural of crisis is crises. The plural of axis is axes.

So I'll go with Volantes :yes:

ULTRARTPOP

Volantis looks like a 3rd declension noun in Latin (to be precise it looks like the genitive singular of volans, the present participle of volare, 'to fly'). The plural would be volantes.

Those who say it should be volanti are confusing the 3rd declension with the 2nd declension.

I see I'm not the only one taking Latin :)

calmar

I see I'm not the only one taking Latin :)

I didn't take Latin :fan:

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

Archived