💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

NY Times: Lorde changed pop.

Pop

Featured Posts

In Lorde’s Wake, a Groundswell of Female Rebels in Pop

31REBELS1-blog427.jpg

One of the most significant pop arrivals of the 2010s was someone who embodied the opposite approach. In 2013, Lorde’s nu-trip-hop anthem “Royals” became a slow-burn smash, locating the outsider squarely at pop’s center, making her the latest in a line of anti-pop rebels who find their message more widely welcome than they might have anticipated.

Industry attempts to construct another Taylor Swift generally fizzled, but that’s no obstacle to attempts to build another Lorde. And so unsurprisingly, a wave of female rebellion is swelling anew, most notably in the pseudo-goth pop of Halsey and the shy soul of Alessia Cara, but also among teen and just-post-teen singers finding glossy ways to express unglossy feelings. It’s even there in the noble anti-bro resistance of Maddie & Tae, a country duo.

Of these, Halsey feels the most mindful of the legacy she’s inheriting, and hoping to insert herself into. “New Americana,” her recent single, is a careful study of the “Royals” mentality: underscoring the falseness of celebrity culture, advocating self-reliance through youth and good taste (and, in this case, d--gs). “We are the new Americana,” she sings, “High on legal marijuana/Raised on Biggie and Nirvana.”

Like Lorde, she is attuned to the sadness of fame. “I sold my soul to a three-piece,” she sings on “Hold Me Down,” though she doesn’t sound that sad about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/arts/music/in-lordes-wake-a-groundswell-of-female-rebels-in-pop.html

:applause: Let's praise "Pure Heroine", the most influential pop album of this decade. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

Although Pure Heroine was amazing, I wouldn't say it changed pop. If it really did, we would hear more Royals / Pure Heroise-esque songs 

I like dancin', and ponies....

kevinthesheep

IA, but I wouldn't call Pure Heroine 'the most influential pop album of this decade', this decade isn't over just yet 

Although Pure Heroine was amazing, I wouldn't say it changed pop. If it really did, we would hear more Royals / Pure Heroise-esque songs 

We didn't? 

Most of the young artists that came out recently (Helsey, Melanie Matinez, etc) are obviously inspired by Lorde's lyricism and musical style. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

We didn't? 

Most of the young artists that came out recently (Helsey, Melanie Matinez, etc) are obviously inspired by Lorde's lyricism and musical style. 

But they are just a few, compared to the hundreds of others :laughga:

Also, as kevinthesheep said, the decade isn't over, maybe the next big thing will be that style 

I like dancin', and ponies....

Jenniferella

Lorde's music felt refreshing but it definitely didn't change pop music as a whole. Pure Heroine is freaking good but I see it as an UFO in the mainstream pop landscape. We can definitely hear the same old crap in the top 100 than before 2013.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Isnt Lorde alternative or indie...

Please correct me if I make any grammar mistakes, I want to master English as much as possible.

lol maybe in some alternative dimension. 

sure jan

Please correct me if I make any grammar mistakes, I want to master English as much as possible.

Archived