Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Lady Gaga announces collaboration with UN

Americano

Featured Posts

Americano

Hopefully this collaboration doesn't fall through like all the rest of her other collaborations. :smh:

"The United Nations altered my artistic vision, therefore I will be cancelling my donations to UNICEF."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
giskardsb

Do you feel inclined to donate to UNICEF because Lady Gaga did this? Or are you taking the opportunity to praise her for doing it, since you wouldn't have known about her doing this without a picture or tweet?

Do people give because celebrities give or because they wanted to give to begin with? There is a lot of need out there.

Anyways, I'm still glad she's doing this to at least set a good example and hopefully UNICEF will accomplish its goals.

UNICEF is going to have hundreds of news stories mentioning them and their efforts because of Lady Gaga's tie in. These types of events with Gaga are setup specifically because they help get the word out. Charities need publicity too. It doesn't mean that Gaga wouldn't help anyway, but helping to give UNICEF publicity is one thing that Celebrities can do that most of us cannot.

CroatiaGeisha

Do you feel inclined to donate to UNICEF because Lady Gaga did this? Or are you taking the opportunity to praise her for doing it, since you wouldn't have known about her doing this without a picture or tweet?

Do people give because celebrities give or because they wanted to give to begin with? There is a lot of need out there.

Oh, I think it's much more general than that. I would bet people become inspired seeing "noble" actions played out in front of them, and they would probably be most influenced by people or situations that are significant to them. So if people look up to Gaga, couldn't she also subliminally inspire them by making these photos public?

And....

...I think what this really comes down to is whether you believe humans pursue charity purely out of their own empathetic good will, or if they do it to make themselves feel better (and this can include boosting their own self image of nobility). A celebrity's action will always be more scrutinized, but the same psychology would still apply to them. :spin:

UNICEF is going to have hundreds of news stories mentioning them and their efforts because of Lady Gaga's tie in. These types of events with Gaga are setup specifically because they help get the word out. Charities need publicity too. It doesn't mean that Gaga wouldn't help anyway, but helping to give UNICEF publicity is one thing that Celebrities can do that most of us cannot.

UNICEF doesn't need gaga, they already have big celebrities representing them

zNetworkMonster

When I read the title I thought 'UN' must be some rapper she's doing a song with.

Pleased it's for a good cause.

same

giskardsb

yeah, I'm sure they would turn down the opportunity to get publicity via the worlds largest social media presence.

Its always very easy to criticize and question others intentions when they do something like this while we're sitting on our ass in front of a computer!

HausOfAntonio

I saw "Lady Gaga announces collab..." And I was like :deadbanana:

Oh well, this is so lovely on her part :flutter:

Alcina Dimitrescu

Then why they're collaborating? I'm not saying that they can't do without Gaga but if they're collaborating then it means that the UN felt that they could use the promo

giskardsb

Then why they're collaborating? I'm not saying that they can't do without Gaga but if they're collaborating then it means that the UN felt that they could use the promo

Yep. There is no such thing as "too much" promo for a charity organization, every charity on the planet would be more than happy to have Gaga publicizing their cause. In fact the promo generated by Gaga is likely worth much more to UNICEF than any single donation she might have made. And, those kids get to talk to and hear from an inspiring source about issues they care about. Its a win/win situation for all parties.

Anyways, I'm still glad she's doing this to at least set a good example and hopefully UNICEF will accomplish its goals.

It sounds bad, but that's exactly what people do. Especially to reach the "younger" crowd who haven't donated much in their lives visibility and exposure is key. Her collaboration is also an implicit approval by Gaga of UNICEF itself (not that it needs verification, but you know what I mean) - psychologically, it's different for people who are and have always at heart been willing to donate but don't know which organization to turn to and/or which of them are actual charities and social programs instead of organizations that spend only 1%-2% of their donations on charity. In this day and age people have become jaded when it comes to charities, and they pass that on to their children.

This gives, for the donation-newbie, a big sense of the process already having been "vetted" by a person they trust. Gaga is using her power as a global icon to draw attention to problems and the channels people can turn to to help - I don't think one really can underestimate what that achieves.

Most people are by nature charitable to a certain extent. Studies and elaborate experiments with high schoolers and college students have shown that when drawn to a real problem through extensive use of ad campaigns, spokespersons and victims talking about their ordeal could make people give shares of their own pocket money/the little amount they had as a student on a monthly basis. Another incredibly interesting experiment has shown that whenever people know there have been a lot of donations to a certain organization or cause, the numbers of donors will grow faster and faster. Take a plastic jar, plaster on a sign asking for donations for "x" cause and people will donate more and more often if they have seen that the jar already contains a lot of money. This is somewhat similar to Gaga's advocacy and how she helps give people the feeling (which in her case is obviously warranted) that the organization can be trusted and has already had a "vetting process" by a trusted source, like I mentioned above. A lot of potential donors might never have given UNICEF a second (or first) thought if they didn't know about this, even though it's a really well-known institution.

Besides, we only got a few pictures out of her visits to orphaned children in India and Peru, for example, because onlookers took pictures. Neither were "media events" in the least and the first one seemed to have been purposefully held a secret.

I read it as "Lady Gaga announces collaboration..." and clicked it and was disappointed that it wasn't an artist

Public or private, genuine or disingenuous, what matters is that things are being done. What does it matter if things such as these are done for publicity or done in secret... a child will benefit from her kindness and the work of the BTW Foundation.

:laughga: glad that pepina b---h was banned.

Archived