Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

TIME reminds the public of Gwen Stefani's alleged racism

Jed

Featured Posts

GagaDragon

Personally i think Gwen took the act a little too far looking back but i don't think it's racist at all, maybe a bit ignorant. I doubt her intentions were to undermine anyone and she seemed like she genuinely liked the culture which is a good thing.

I don't know about Japanese artists but there have been many cases of Korean idols mocking other cultures so....

The problem of racism will still be around until we're all beige which sucks but is true.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMFAO the retardation of TIME

everything is so racist these days

I mean how is a school uniform the same as black face? mess

KIAvsnw.gif

There was nothing racist about them, I actually loved them

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

high heeled fem

Can she just return to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR3Vdo5etCQ

cant believe u posted that :giveup :udidnt:

i love her look there!! and shes way better in the old days 

sorry but TIME is ridiculous  bringing this up from 1o years ago and saying gwen owns them an apology  :smh:  :wtf: People need to stop being so sensitive. its not like she just used them and then ditched them..2vn274h.jpg

oh and 

"Owes Us an apology"

eliana.jpg

Ok, if you want to hear another Asian person besides Margaret Cho complain here's an article from 2005 http://www.salon.com...04/09/geisha_2/

This woman at least is content to criticize several Western interpretations of Japanese street culture. The same way a Canadian might mock Hollywood visions of Canada, fair enough.

But to holler "racist" like the white women writing for Time, seems intent on shutting down the whole process of cultural influence. "You must apologizse!" For RACISM properly defined is a very bad thing. The implications of her PC SJW attitude make it politically dangerous to even try to draw on non-white cultures. That's 100x worse than whatever failings there may be in Gwen's LAMB era.

AbuHassan1992

I think what we need to do is not belittle Asian racism and actually hear what asian people have to think about that matter. Margaret Cho is a smart woman and if she believes that is racist then we shouldn't just dismiss it because we don't see what she is seeing.

Also, 

What you need to remember is they got the offer to be a part of a huge popstars career. Maybe to them that outweighed the stereotypes they were perpetuating. However, I see some merit to what you are saying.

She renamed them. Like, their names weren't good enough. You don't see ANYTHING to critique about that?

Was Miley paying tribute to black culture? Or to Little People Culture?

Lady Gaga renamed her dancers, too. Nothing wrong with that, it's ****ing called putting on a show. Stage names. ****

LMFAO the retardation of TIME

everything is so racist these days

I mean how is a school uniform the same as black face? mess

KIAvsnw.gif

There was nothing racist about them, I actually loved them

Once again, just because you didn't see the racism does not mean it wasn't.

I don't even see the japanese people complaining about this

KIAvsnw.gif

Gwen actually slayed during the love, angel, music, baby era in Japan

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Again, I'd take the criticism more seriously is they didn't lead to such an over the top charge (which there is no way to disprove, the only way to avoid such charges from PC critics is NEVER is draw on non-white culture).

Gay TV critics find fault with many portrays of GLBT, but they don't yell "homohobic" at every imperfection which would be counter-productive.

"That gay is too flaming and feminine, it's a stereotype, I don't want us seen that way, it's homohobic!" That attitude would make it politically dangerous and walking on eggshells for anyone to portray gays.

Well consider that Gwen got her start in music with No Doubt, whose sound is based on ska punk (appropriation of Jamaican-Reggae music with punk/rock). So if we are going to get technical, she's been re-appropriating from the start. I should also remind everyone of the recent No Doubt video that got taken down because they were re-appropriating Native American Indian culture in their "Looking Hot" video. While I like most of Gwen's music, I kinda have to agree with this article in that she does seem to have a history of ham-fisting other cultures into her musical projects... 

AquaFire Witch

But most of the discussion was later on. If you want to see the part I think exemplifies  the alleged racism I would point to 

But i equate it to this: Some gay people tell their friends that they can say the word ******* if they want, right? But that doesn't mean that it isn't still an offensive term that a majority of gay people don't want to hear. EDIT: The word i meant was the f word that doesn't rhyme with duck

Good point!

I really think Gwen had no intention of disrespecting Asian women. I do see how the lyrics can be interpreted that way. I have listened to that song a million times and it never occurred to me. I guess only Gwen can explain why she wrote it that way.

I think she is so obsessed with their culture that perhaps she was just wasn’t thinking about how it might offend people.

Well consider that Gwen got her start in music with No Doubt, whose sound is based on ska punk (appropriation of Jamaican-Reggae music with punk/rock). So if we are going to get technical, she's been re-appropriating from the start. I should also remind everyone of the recent No Doubt video that got taken down because they were re-appropriating Native American Indian culture in their "Looking Hot" video. While I like most of Gwen's music, I kinda have to agree with this article in that she does seem to have a history of ham-fisting other cultures into her musical projects... 

White people should stick to making white music - classical, electronic, country.

I'm sure the majority of Neo-Nazis would agree.

It hilarious how the racist right and the PC left ends up agreeing!

Same way racists hate a white girl like Miley demeaning herself by acting like a whigger. I wager more Americans despise her 2013 act for that than for PC reasons.

Archived