💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

TIME reminds the public of Gwen Stefani's alleged racism

Jed

Featured Posts

Supersonic

This is such a load of artworks-000060297041-tyaank-t50x50.jpg

:lmao:

tbh it didn't really give off a racist feel, it definately has no malicious intent or aims to discredit Japanese culture, Rino would have been kind of aware of that as a Japanese-American.

It's sad tho that the only exposure east asian women get in the western entertainment business is as back-up dancers. some Korean-American, Korean-Canadian singers tried their luck in America first, but found it hard to break through. No record company wanted them because of their looks, so they went to Korea to start a career (like Ailee, G.NA, Eric Nam or Megan Lee) :manicure:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what bothers me the most that very little (if not none) of the people who are saying it isn't racist are Asian people. Who are we to dismiss their complaints if what they are complaining about doesn't even apply to us. I used the word "alleged" in my title because I can't give a definitive answer. But honestly when I see lyrics like:

"I'd get me four Harajuku girls to

Inspire me and they'd come to my rescue
I'd dress them wicked, I'd give them names
Love, Angel, Music, Baby"

It gives off the vibe that they aren't people, but they are pets. If there are many Asian people who are offended, then why should we just shoo away claims like this? 

This is such a load of artworks-000060297041-tyaank-t50x50.jpg

As someone said in a previous post, those girls are still friends with her to this day and absolutely loved the experience (and the money I'm sure). How is it racist when they were completely willing to comply and signed the contract themselves?

I can't handle any more of these social justice warriors.

So because I want to highlight something I think might be racist, you're going to dismiss me as a "social justice warrior"? If someone thinks something is offensive and they vocalize it and try and fight for it should we really just belittle them like that? At the end of the day anyone who is attempting to discuss racism and if it is present or not should not be attacked. Because honestly, some people do find it very racist. Should we just dismiss these people because we don't see what they are saying? Or criticize them? I'm baffled that people act like this. Like, how dare I try and talk about something that offends a lot of people. Just because Margaret Cho is the only person who vocalized this sentiment doesn't mean she is the only one who feels that way. Four/Five girls saying they aren't offended does not by any means speak for the whole race of people. Just because they don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

i thought this was gonna be about the native america headdress 

Different topic for a different day. But I doubt anyone would say anything about that either. People just defend celebrities they stan for wholeheartedly without ever questioning anything they do.

I think what bothers me the most that very little (if not none) of the people who are saying it isn't racist are Asian people. Who are we to dismiss their complaints if what they are complaining about doesn't even apply to us. I used the word "alleged" in my title because I can't give a definitive answer. But honestly when I see lyrics like:

It gives off the vibe that they aren't people, but they are pets. If there are many Asian people who are offended, then why should we just shoo away claims like this? 

Those aren't pet/animal names though, but album themes and abstractions. How are Love or Music demeaning? 

What bothers me is most of people complaining are Politically Correct whites who've taken too many cultural studies courses where they learn to find racism in everything. If it coming loud and clear from Asians, I'd take it more seriously.

The only ways to satisy the critcs, I supect, whould be for white artists to totally ignore anything culturally to do with blacks or Asians. White people can only draw on white culture, how progressive!

As a Canadian, I'd rather have Americans present us in a stereotypical way than just ignore us.

I'm fine with Weird Al's Canadian Idiot, which is much more mocking than anything Gwen did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_TfBbR6L0M

I figure most Asians are like Canadians, not super uptight and aggrieved about how Americans see them. 

AquaFire Witch

The song is entirely about FASHION! Ping pong match between Eastern and Western is her taking her own clothing line and combining her American fashion style with their's. Result is L.A.M.B.

She says and it explains throughout the entire song. The racist stuff is BS!

Each one of them aka their style inspired her design. You know how we take models or celebrities and dress them up to represent a product. This is no different. Gwen's words are being taken out of context.

Those aren't pet/animal names though, but album themes and abstractions. How are Love or Music demeaning? 

What bothers me is most of people complaining are Politically Correct whites who've taken too many cultural studies courses where they learn to find racism in everything. If it coming loud and clear from Asians, I'd take it more seriously.

The only ways to satisy the critcs, I supect, whould be for white artists to totally ignore anything culturally to do with blacks or Asians. White people can only draw on white culture, how progressive!

So is Margaret Cho just purely wrong on the matter? I'm very much opened to being convinced to either side (like I said I did use the word 'alleged'), I just really don't like how many people dismiss the claims as if they are nothing. At my school I see a whole ton of racism against Asian people, so I know it is a prevalent thing in society.

I've talked about racism towards black people before and also been called a "politically correct white person", but in actuality, my step mother and siblings are black. I don't like being told I can't talk about the topic just because I'm white (not saying that's what you are doing)

But I would like to commend you for arguing in a mature way as opposed to just belittling me. Thank you for that.

The song is entirely about FASHION! Ping pong match between Eastern and Western is her taking her own clothing line and combining her American fashion style with their's. Result is L.A.M.B.

She says and it explains throughout the entire song. The racist stuff is BS!

Each one of them aka their style inspired her design. You know how we take models or celebrities and dress them up to represent a product. This is no different. Gwen's words are being taken out of context.

But the emphasis is on "i'd get me" followed by "give them names".

No matter what the names are you don't just go and "get yourself some asian girls" and give them names that correlate with your album title.

So is Margaret Cho just purely wrong on the matter? 

I've talked about racism towards black people before and also been called a "politically correct white person", but in actuality, my step mother and siblings are black. I don't like being told I can't talk about the topic just because I'm white (not saying that's what you are doing)

It's one person's opinion, but she can't speak on behalf of all Asians. Isn't she Korean, not Japanese?

I can find ONE Canadian taking offense at any American media portrayal of Canada too. Doesn't mean they speak for all of us or get a veto.

It's one person's opinion, but she can't speak on behalf of all Asians. Isn't she Chinese, not Japanese?

I can find ONE Canadian taking offense at any American media portrayal of Canada too.

But someone else said that because the Harajuku girls didn't find it offensive that it wasn't offensive.

I also noticed you didn't bother including my praise in the quote, and you didn't bother responding to it. I see that people on here just focus on the negative.

How is this even racism?

Look I'm not going to repeat everything that was already said in the thread.

At this point I'm over this argument because instead of taking it seriously everyone just wants to believe what it is they want to believe. No one will be convinced either way, and people are just going to continue living their lives no matter what.

However I do find it disgusting that instead of taking these allegations seriously, they would rather shrug it off because they don't see the point.

No matter what the names are you don't just go and "get yourself some asian girls" and give them names that correlate with your album title.

IMO a lot of this is being blown out of proportion, but this part, especially the wording, actually seems pretty offensive... :/

AquaFire Witch

So is Margaret Cho just purely wrong on the matter? I'm very much opened to being convinced to either side (like I said I did use the word 'alleged'), I just really don't like how many people dismiss the claims as if they are nothing. At my school I see a whole ton of racism against Asian people, so I know it is a prevalent thing in society.

But I would like to commend you for arguing in a mature way as opposed to just belittling me. Thank you for that.

Well I am a big fan of Asian culture so I definitely don’t support anybody that would try and degrade them. My favorite rapper YOONMIRAE is Korean and she was bullied horribly here in Texas, my hometown. English record labels completely disregard her. :/

Gwen comes from a multicultural band, it’s in her roots…I doubt she had any intention of mocking the Asian women. I see what you mean about the lyrics but maybe it’s just ignorance on her part.

This reminds me of a couple years ago when No Doubt was accused of racism with their video "Looking Hot." But the band said they consulted with Indian native friends who all said yeah release it we don't care. Hmmm...

Look I'm not going to repeat everything that was already said in the thread.

At this point I'm over this argument because instead of taking it seriously everyone just wants to believe what it is they want to believe. No one will be convinced either way, and people are just going to continue living their lives no matter what.

However I do find it disgusting that instead of taking these allegations seriously, they would rather shrug it off because they don't see the point.

aww hun, I just read the OP and then continued to post?

aww hun, I just read the OP and then continued to post?

But most of the discussion was later on. If you want to see the part I think exemplifies  the alleged racism I would point to 

think what bothers me the most that very little (if not none) of the people who are saying it isn't racist are Asian people. Who are we to dismiss their complaints if what they are complaining about doesn't even apply to us. I used the word "alleged" in my title because I can't give a definitive answer. But honestly when I see lyrics like:

Well I am a big fan of Asian culture so I definitely don’t support anybody that would try and degrade them. My favorite rapper YOONMIRAE is Korean and she was bullied horribly here in Texas, my hometown. English record labels completely disregard her. :/

Gwen comes from a multicultural band, it’s in her roots…I doubt she had any intention of mocking the Asian women. I see what you mean about the lyrics but maybe it’s just ignorance on her part.

This reminds me of a couple years ago when No Doubt was accused of racism with their video "Looking Hot." But the band said they consulted with Indian native friends who all said yeah release it we don't care. Hmmm...

But i equate it to this: Some gay people tell their friends that they can say the word ******* if they want, right? But that doesn't mean that it isn't still an offensive term that a majority of gay people don't want to hear. EDIT: The word i meant was the f word that doesn't rhyme with duck

Archived