💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Beyonce and Jay Z/cultural appropriation

Blond

Featured Posts

ryanripley
5 minutes ago, Blond said:

No we don't need it.As 'we' i mean humans.

So if other races westernize and start having western lifestyles,wouldn't it be cultural appropriation of some kind?

If a white person likes African music and actually sings it and uses inspiration in his/her work,it'd be also considered cultural appropriated.It cannot be the other way tho.Why?

Why have we become so sensitive to everything?

(one example)

Jeffree star bought boomerang and got accused of cultural appropriation, i was like WTF :saladga:

yeah no, you do need a few history lessons

white people are the dominant race and throughout history have enslaved and destroyed other cultures simply cus they're darker skin tones

if a white person loves african music and sings it and uses it as inspiration (and i mean actually LOVES it) then they're very likely willing to give back to the african countries in any way they can so it becomes cultural appreciation

if a white person hears african music, goes "oh wow this drum is cool i want it" and then totally ignore the struggles africans around the world are facing today, that is appropriation. taking from others for your own gain and then ignoring them when you have the power to help them should be called out

i know it's easy to say "but we're all equal! it's 2018!" but that's a naive way to think about the world. sure, women can vote and black people can marry white people and gay people can adopt but they're STILL spat on and hated by the men/white/straight people. not all of them but too many of them.

in regards to beyonce: she didn't appropriate anything :huh: if her dancing infront of classic italian art is too much for you then it sounds like you're the one who is being a little too sensitive. there's nothing about that that is appropriating :shrug: 

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blond
Just now, GhettoFabulous said:

Exactly:madge: I think they’re just salty for WHATEVER reason because what I’m getting from this is they’re not really educated on cultural appropriation and just wanna be mad for the sake of being mad :lolly:

Why would i be mad over one of my favourite artists for no reason?

My pu$$y tastes like pepsi cola

GypsyBabe

These are dead civilizations from the past, so there is no power component. With the absence of power, there is no cultural appropriation. 

⚯͛

Blond
1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

yeah no, you do need a few history lessons

white people are the dominant race and throughout history have enslaved and destroyed other cultures simply cus they're darker skin tones

if a white person loves african music and sings it and uses it as inspiration (and i mean actually LOVES it) then they're very likely willing to give back to the african countries in any way they can so it becomes cultural appreciation

if a white person hears african music, goes "oh wow this drum is cool i want it" and then totally ignore the struggles africans around the world are facing today, that is appropriation. taking from others for your own gain and then ignoring them when you have the power to help them should be called out

i know it's easy to say "but we're all equal! it's 2018!" but that's a naive way to think about the world. sure, women can vote and black people can marry white people and gay people can adopt but they're STILL spat on and hated by the men/white/straight people. not all of them but too many of them.

This idea is only presented by West.My country +other eastern countries are not mad at all.This just helps segregate black +other races.

Totally stupid idea that unnecessary victimizes people of colour

Blond

@ryanripley

Thanks for healthy discussion tho and not just instantly hating on me :kara:

ryanripley
Just now, Blond said:

This idea is only presented by West.My country +other eastern countries are not mad at all.This just helps segregate black +other races.

Totally stupid idea that unnecessary victimizes people of colour

again, i think you need to do some further research into it because sometimes the callouts (such as white people wearing native american headdresses) are perfectly valid

you're assuming this victimizes people of colour when it's people of colour who just want other people to think twice about their actions

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Ziggy
8 minutes ago, Blond said:

Venus de Milo isn't french if it's located in France :saladga:

Mona Lisa was painted by Italian artist :derpga:

But I’m not talking about specific works; again, the Louvre is in Paris. That is the museum. Those works happen to be some of the most famous in Western civilization. Them dancing in front of it is equating their work to the work of those artists. It isn’t “cultural appropriation”; they’re standing in front of something. But also that’s not really appropriative because those works aren’t really considered to be culturally specific; they are a part of “western culture” at this point, if that makes sense. The difference between that and Katy wearing a geisha outfit onstage is that this video did not blithely take from a culture to the detriment of their image. What did they do that shows Italian, French, or western culture in a poor or uneducated light? Flip that, Katy literally just wore a geisha costume on stage to perform Unconditionally with very little understanding of the cultural ties that aesthetic has and her misrepresentation of it was disrespectful. If anything, this video *celebrated* the work of these artists and their contributions for what they genuinely are.

**I bring up Katy Perry as it was the first blatantly bad cultural appropriation gaffe I could think of

Blond
Just now, Ziggy said:

But I’m not talking about specific works; again, the Louvre is in Paris. That is the museum. Those works happen to be some of the most famous in Western civilization. Them dancing in front of it is equating their work to the work of those artists. It isn’t “cultural appropriation”; they’re standing in front of something. But also that’s not really appropriative because those works aren’t really considered to be culturally specific; they are a part of “western culture” at this point, if that makes sense. The difference between that and Katy wearing a geisha outfit onstage is that this video did not blithely take from a culture to the detriment of their image. What did they do that shows Italian, French, or western culture in a poor or uneducated light? Flip that, Katy literally just wore a geisha costume on stage to perform Unconditionally with very little understanding of the cultural ties that aesthetic has and her misrepresentation of it was disrespectful. If anything, this video *celebrated* the work of these artists and their contributions for what they genuinely are.

They're commercializing it and it's everyone's excuse for hating white people.I think it's nonsense

I agree with Katy Perry one

Melech
14 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

a white person hears african music, goes "oh wow this drum is cool i want it" and then totally ignore the struggles africans around the world are facing today, that is appropriation. taking from others for your own gain and then ignoring them when you have the power to help them should be called out

Yeah white people better only play “white” instruments :laughga: 

ALGAYDO

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but nothing Bey or Jay did was “cultural appropriation”. 

Like, a white dude having a Rasta-themed bedroom ain’t cultural appropriation, it’s just cultural appreciation. The same dude wearing aftrican attire just for the looks, however, is considered cultural appropriation because he’s just taking bits of that culture and using it as an accessory knowing full well that a black person doing the same thing would be considered “ghetto” or whatever. 

Although I also see your point in that POC tend to culturally appropriate things from ofther cultures and nobody gives a crap just because they’re not white. It’s like when POC don’t think other POC can be racists. That just plain false, as I’ve seen PLENTY of racists POC. 

Blond
Just now, xoxo Human said:

ok 

Not you,the other one

Archived