đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Kelly Clarkson, A Skinny Legend

DiscoHeaven23

Featured Posts

DiscoHeaven23

I'm Shook

This was her just 4 months ago. Werkkkk it. (But ur beautiful at any size :hug:)

rs_600x600-171119153441-600-kelly-clarks

TropicOfCANCER

It’s so sad that after all the years of body positivity that kelly and countless other women have worked to celebrate and normalize that the gays decided that “skinny” and “skinny legend” would be their compliment of choice, in 2018. 

KyliesChild
Just now, TropicOfCANCER said:

It’s so sad that after all the years of body positivity that kelly and countless other women have worked to celebrate and normalize that the gays decided that “skinny” and “skinny legend” would be their compliment of choice, in 2018. 

it's just a joke that shouldn't be taken seriously at all 

DiscoHeaven23
Just now, KyliesChild said:

exactly, all sizes are beautiful. The skinny legend joke is never saying other sizes aren't legends

TropicOfCANCER
Just now, KyliesChild said:

Yawn. People writing things off as “just as joke” is so tired.

Just as it used to be socially acceptable to equate “gay” and “retard” as bad or insulting, it’s really problematic to jokingly equate “skinny” with things that are good. 

DiscoHeaven23
1 minute ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

Just as it used to be socially acceptable to equate “gay” and “retard” as bad or insulting, it’s really problematic to jokingly equate “skinny” with things that are good. 

some people put in work to be skinny (i.e. working out and eating healthy). If they're putting in effort and having results, what's wrong with applauding them? That can be considered "good". Just like people who have gained weight after an eating disorder can be applauded and that's "good" too. Just saying one thing is good doesn't mean the other isn't. Saying this apple is a delicious legend, doesn't mean the orange isn't. 

Supersonic
11 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

Yeah this. I'm tired of this skinny legend mumbo jumbo.

KyliesChild
9 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

it is a joke from STAN TWITTER lmao, it's not comparable to derogatory words that are used to offend minorities.

Supersonic
5 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

some people put in work to be skinny (i.e. working out and eating healthy). If they're putting in effort and having results, what's wrong with applauding them? That can be considered "good". Just like people who have gained weight after an eating disorder can be applauded and that's "good" too. Just saying one thing is good doesn't mean the other isn't. Saying this apple is a delicious legend, doesn't mean the orange isn't. 

1. you have no clue whether the weight loss was achieved through healthy or unhealthy means, you might as well be applauding a woman starving herself.

2. People with eating disorders getting complimented for weight gains virtually never happens.

3. Using the apple/orange analogy is wrong, it eradicates & banalizes the pressure society puts on people to be skinny and to keep on being skinny, along with the shame society puts on you for being thicker. This phrase hasn't been around for ages, you can definitely trace it back where it came from and  skinny legend originated from "Delete it, fat." and Mariah Carey being perceived as "too fat" (even though she just suffers from a medical condition that bloats her body). Do I need to say more? Even if it is just "a stan twitter joke" it's very much a manifestation of the idea that "skinny is beautiful, fat is ugly". Not to mention that stan twitter is also a highly toxic, misogynist, transphobic and overall sh*tty environment.

SychosSoChic

The backlash

I live

tumblr_p5adrhxkZO1u6n38po1_250.gif

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

DiscoHeaven23

I never referred to society in my post. 

It was all personal thought on what I believe about celebrating all sizes. 

My stance is firm in celebrating both being skinny for those who are achieving that goal and celebrating those who are thicker because it puts them in a happier place. 

Idk if ur skinny or thicker, but I'm skinny and have been for my whole life and at some points really skinny. Skinny shaming exists too. I've been told I'm anorexic (when i never have been, i just have a fast metabolism). I've been told i need to eat more (i eat perfectly normal). I've been called a walking stick and many other names.I get that society shames for being thicker, but it also shames for being thinner. It annoys me when there is this hyper focus on society shaming fat people, when skinny shaming is present. Think about a skinny person who feels so insecure because of the shame they have faced.

Being called a skinny legend puts a positive spin on it. It celebrates them, without putting other down. So why don't we just focus on celebrating weight sizes that make each person happy, or that they are? I just don't understand what is so wrong about complimenting someone for being skinny.  You're stuck on society's idea of thick being bad, without seeing the whole picture. 

38e3ac8572d534e619b546d205f07363.png

ShockPop
1 hour ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

Body positivity? What's positive about poor health? Call it what it is. She was fat. A fact is a fact is a fact.

But I have no idea where the term skinny legend originated.

StrawberryBlond
22 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

I never referred to society in my post. 

It was all personal thought on what I believe about celebrating all sizes. 

My stance is firm in celebrating both being skinny for those who are achieving that goal and celebrating those who are thicker because it puts them in a happier place. 

Idk if ur skinny or thicker, but I'm skinny and have been for my whole life and at some points really skinny. Skinny shaming exists too. I've been told I'm anorexic (when i never have been, i just have a fast metabolism). I've been told i need to eat more (i eat perfectly normal). I've been called a walking stick and many other names.I get that society shames for being thicker, but it also shames for being thinner. It annoys me when there is this hyper focus on society shaming fat people, when skinny shaming is present. Think about a skinny person who feels so insecure because of the shame they have faced.

Being called a skinny legend puts a positive spin on it. It celebrates them, without putting other down. So why don't we just focus on celebrating weight sizes that make each person happy, or that they are? I just don't understand what is so wrong about complimenting someone for being skinny.  You're stuck on society's idea of thick being bad, without seeing the whole picture. 

38e3ac8572d534e619b546d205f07363.png

True, society shames both extremes but that doesn't mean that you should glorify each extreme either. "Skinny" just isn't a positive word. "Thin," "slim" or "slender" are far more flattering alternatives and they actually spring to mind images of health rather than images of ill health. Like it or not, most of us associate the word "skinny" with stuff like "underweight," "malnourished" and "anorexic." So when you praise someone for being skinny, it sounds like you're saying that they look good with a body type that looks like they've starved themselves, therefore reinforcing the message that they need to keep themselves a borderline unhealthy weight to be accepted. This is why the term "skinny legend" is so dangerous. And there's no "thick legend" or "curvy legend" to counteract it either. You don't know if someone with an eating disorder is reading that and what it's reinforcing within themselves. Pro anorexia sites are probably running with this term as we speak. To us, it may seem like a fun, throwaway joke but to others, you could be tapping into a very vulnerable part of them.

11 minutes ago, ShockPop said:

Body positivity? What's positive about poor health? Call it what it is. She was fat. A fact is a fact is a fact.

But I have no idea where the term skinny legend originated.

There's no need for a word like "fat," though. Say "overweight," Fat is a truly ugly, negative word that had bred eating disorders and a lot of people use it in the most insulting way. I'm all for giving people incentives to lose weight if they're obese but this isn't the way to do it. Remember that the woman's had 2 children very close together. Even after just one baby, a woman's body can change forever. Some women were naturally built like a stick until they got pregnant and then their shape completely changed and they never got it back. I know a woman who has a permanently rounded stomach after she gave birth to her first child because he was such a big, heavy baby. Some women are very lucky and snap right back to where they were but others really struggle. And even without putting pregnancy into the equation, it can just be very difficult for a lot of people to lose weight, even when they do everything right. I've been doing a little bit of exercise everyday, have stopped snacking between meals, stopped late night tidbits, only eat desserts occasionally and cut right back on crisps, bread, chocolate and sweets...and I'm lucky if I lose a pound a week or have yet to see any change in my thighs or stomach. It's like your body knows what works for itself and plateaus at a certain point when it's knows you're healthy enough not to lose anymore, unless you actually become anorexic. Bodies are curious things.

As for where the term came from, it's extremely recent. I believe someone saw a picture of Mariah post-gastric sleeve some months ago and said something like: "She's always been a legend but now she's a skinny legend" or words to that effect and it caught on.

Archived