💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Queen of lip sync

mzncb

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Mirages said:

That's because Janet's performances don't look so artificial. She records the tracks over for her shows so you don't actually hear the single/album studio versions.

It's still lip syncing though.  And she's done this for 30 plus years, not unlike Britney.

2 hours ago, Magneto said:

Britney maybe the world's most infamous lip syncher, but atleast she is just unapologetic about it and just uses the actual backing track (I think Janet does too). A lot of other artists do it too, but are just really good at it and hide behind pre-recorded vocals and therefor go unnoticed by the GP. I personally don't judge lip synching, but I do hate the inequality in how artists are treated for doing it.

You have to put Janet in that category too.  You don't get to exclude her just cause she's influential.  You have no choice.

In fact, her heavily lip-synced concerts/shows is part of her influence.

50 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

Because she can actually dance instead of just handography.

What about her lip syncing though?

These two performances feature excellent songs and the second shows great stage presence/performing.

But neither of these feature singing talent at all.  

You can't come after Britney's past performances without coming after Janet.  Janet has barely sung live her entire career and but Britney seems to always be the linchpin when Janet was the one that's responsible for this. 

FrankGutz

im not here for the Janet disrespect smh

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

Magneto
1 hour ago, mzncb said:

You have to put Janet in that category too.  You don't get to exclude her just cause she's influential.  You have no choice.

In fact, her heavily lip-synced concerts/shows is part of her influence.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say any of those things, but sure :laughga:

Also, it kinda feels like you just made this thread to just bash Janet or something

Free my mind

Trepadation
4 hours ago, mzncb said:

Yeah Michael lipped, but he was a child prodigy talent.  Janet was a less talented child/teen vocalist than Britney.  Period.  (She never would have gotten a recording contract without her last name)

Janet is also a child prodigy. She performed since she was 6 or so and has done music & film as a kid. 

Britney's mickey mouse club house can't compare. She doesn't even sing on her own album :giggle:.

KingRedd

Britney never had a great voice to me. She was an icon because her style, stage presence, and numerous hits. To compare her vocally to anyone is not a good idea. No shade 

May I Read You? 😎

2 hours ago, Trepadation said:

Janet is also a child prodigy. She performed since she was 6 or so and has done music & film as a kid. 

Britney's mickey mouse club house can't compare. She doesn't even sing on her own album :giggle:.

Janet Jackson was never a child prodigy.  The Jackson 5 were talented child prodigies.  Janet has never even auditioned for anything, music wise.  At least Britney auditioned for the mickey mouse club (beating out tens of thousands).  Janet never even auditioned for her recording career, thanks to her talented brothers.

There is this article that kind of goes in to what I'm saying:

http://www.paperbacknovel.com/Music/whyjanetjacksonsucks.htm

Not saying I agree with everything but it's worth a read.

3 hours ago, Magneto said:

I'm pretty sure I didn't say any of those things, but sure :laughga:

Also, it kinda feels like you just made this thread to just bash Janet or something

See, that's bullsh*t.  Factually saying that Janet Jackson has rarely sang live or has lip synced most of her 30 plus year career is bashing Janet but saying the same about Britney is just laying facts, even though Janet clearly laid the foundation for this type of performing?

2 hours ago, KingRedd said:

Britney never had a great voice to me. She was an icon because her style, stage presence, and numerous hits. To compare her vocally to anyone is not a good idea. No shade 

II'm not talking about those things.  Janet and Madonna laid the foundation for her to do many of those things.  I'm talking about vocally.

Max Martin, the most influential producer in the music industry since the mid 1990s, says in this early 1998 clip Britney has an 'excellent voice', at the 56 second mark.  

Why does he say this?

Magneto
3 minutes ago, mzncb said:

See, that's bullsh*t.  Factually saying that Janet Jackson has rarely sang live or has lip synced most of her 30 plus year career is bashing Janet but saying the same about Britney is just laying facts, even though Janet clearly laid the foundation for this type of performing?

I don't know what you want me to say here. I don't really know Janet nor do I care for or defend her work. All I'm saying is that I don't judge lipsynching in general. You can try to convince me to think negatively of her, but the thing is; I just don't think anything of her. You're just trying to drag me in your negativity. Good luck with your thread though.

Free my mind

As my name implies I LOVE me some Janet and to try to compare her lipsynching to Britney is ridiculous. If you've ever been to a Janet show you know she sings her ballads live. The quality of her vocals isn't a debate. She's not the strongest vocalist and this is evident during her live performances. However, NO pop girl can do Janet's choreography while lipsynching MORE LESS while singing live. Her choreography and stage slayage is on another level which is why so many girls to this day, past and present, have voiced how much of an inspiration she has been to them and why people are so forgiving of her when she lipsyncs or uses backing tracks.

Britney on the other hand flails her arms and gyrates on stage while lipsynching and relies on back up dancers and stage props to detract from her lack of dance and singing skills. Many pop girls can do Britney's choreo not only while lipsynching, they can do it BETTER while singing live.

THAT is why she gets dragged for her lipsynching so DO NOT put Britney and Janet in the same convo like that EVER again.

KingRedd
54 minutes ago, mzncb said:

Janet Jackson was never a child prodigy.  The Jackson 5 were talented child prodigies.  Janet has never even auditioned for anything, music wise.  At least Britney auditioned for the mickey mouse club (beating out tens of thousands).  Janet never even auditioned for her recording career, thanks to her talented brothers.

There is this article that kind of goes in to what I'm saying:

http://www.paperbacknovel.com/Music/whyjanetjacksonsucks.htm

Not saying I agree with everything but it's worth a read.

II'm not talking about those things.  Janet and Madonna laid the foundation for her to do many of those things.  I'm talking about vocally.

Max Martin, the most influential producer in the music industry since the mid 1990s, says in this early 1998 clip Britney has an 'excellent voice', at the 56 second mark.  

Why does he say this?

You’re not going to convince me that Britney is a top tier vocalist or even a vocalist in general. I pointed out what Brit shines at and I made no mistake when I left out vocally talented.

May I Read You? 😎

Mirages
5 hours ago, mzncb said:

It's still lip syncing though.  And she's done this for 30 plus years, not unlike Britney.

That maybe so, but does it really matter at the end of the day, especially if it's done gracefully, sometimes you can't even tell they do it and they give you a great show. I don't know what you are trying to prove, the truth is that even Michael, Mariah and other big names have done it, because they know their limits and don't want to have anticlimactic shows. Plus Janet has written her songs which Britney has not, Janet's music has always been innovative and she's a better dancer than Britney and her shows look that way. Janet has more star power than Britney and even the she lip syncs, she does it to make her shows better and doesn't look lazy, where Britney unfortunately lately does and will always be remembered for lipsyncing, Janet will be remember for great career, numerous number one songs until that infamous nip slip.

I'm the bitch that's fragile

On 1/7/2018 at 4:28 PM, Mirages said:

That maybe so, but does it really matter at the end of the day, especially if it's done gracefully, sometimes you can't even tell they do it and they give you a great show. I don't know what you are trying to prove, the truth is that even Michael, Mariah and other big names have done it, because they know their limits and don't want to have anticlimactic shows. Plus Janet has written her songs which Britney has not, Janet's music has always been innovative and she's a better dancer than Britney and her shows look that way. Janet has more star power than Britney and even the she lip syncs, she does it to make her shows better and doesn't look lazy, where Britney unfortunately lately does and will always be remembered for lipsyncing, Janet will be remember for great career, numerous number one songs until that infamous nip slip.

There is a reason Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are in the Songwriters Hall of Fame and Janet is not nor ever will be.

My criticism of Janet doesn't negate the fact that she is a pop legend performer.  (Although vocally, you can't compare her to the raw talents Mariah Carey or Michael Jackson.)  She may be a master pre-recorder, but it is still lip-syncing and paved the way for Britney and others to do it and it has to be acknowledged.

Besides lipsyncing Britney is still going to be remembered for her iconic music videos and the TRL era, besides her 'live' performing, which is, of course, why she became famous in the first place.  She's still icon for her generation.

JohnWayne92
On 1/7/2018 at 10:04 AM, Mirages said:

That's because Janet's performances don't look so artificial. She records the tracks over for her shows so you don't actually hear the single/album studio versions.

This!!! Lol Britney literally doesn't even try anymore. She looks bored on stage, most of the choreo is her trying to look busy, and it's the friggin studio version of her song! All the while she's chewing gum -_-

doppelganger

I get you but Janet is heavily involved in the writing of her music though. Stylistically her songs are impossible to be sing live anyway with all the cooing and vocal layering. Janet knows her strength isn’t live vocals but she is works around it. 

Mirages
5 hours ago, mzncb said:

There is a reason Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis are in the Songwriters Hall of Fame and Janet is not nor ever will be.

My criticism of Janet doesn't negate the fact that she is a pop legend performer.  (Although vocally, you can't compare her to the raw talents Mariah Carey or Michael Jackson.)  She may be a master pre-recorder, but it is still lip-syncing and paved the way for Britney and others to do it and it has to be acknowledged.

Besides lipsyncing Britney is still going to be remembered for her iconic music videos and the TRL era, besides her 'live' performing, which is, of course, why she became famous in the first place.  She's still icon for her generation.

That maybe so, but I feel the "title" queen of lipsync has a negative connotation to it and with that one will be remembered only Britney.

I'm the bitch that's fragile

Archived