Featured Posts

n0ne

Logan_2017_poster.jpg

Logan = 9/10

I_Don't_Feel_at_Home_in_This_World_Anymo

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore = 8.5/10

220px-Moana_Teaser_Poster.jpg

Moana = 8.5/10

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

maxthewonderdog

Kong Skull Island. 0/10. This was more like a video game than a movie. I didn't care about any of the characters, including Kong which is a huge mistake on the screenwriters part. I'm a huge John Goodman fan, and for the first time, he totally phoned in a performance. I hope he was paid well. My friend and I didn't just "not like" it, we HATED it and were angry when we left. The Jessica Lange 1976 version is a classic compared to this.

Sing - 9/10

I just really enjoyed it because it was a fun film and it automatically made you feel happy. lighthearted family comedy film. 

• 4 weeks later...
Sister

carol+film+poster.jpg

Carol 9/10

It's pretty great, good and understandable story and it looks beautiful. Both actresses played their parts flawlessly and were stunning. I also usually love Todd Haynes movies. I recommend it here.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Sister

Suicide Squad

6/10

I don't get all of the hate for this movie, it was fine for what it is, just an entertaining comic book movie. I used to watch the old Batman series and of course the original Joker was best, but throughout all of the movies involving his character, I have always thought that each modernization during the decades, has worked and has been fine and Jared Leto is no exception.

Maleficent

6/10

I have just gotten around to watching this movie too and it was just alright. Angelina Jolie and Ella Fanning were both great as their characters, but the movie itself could have been better, looked better and have been written better. Lana's theme song is the Best thing about it, though.

^ I don't love animated films at all, don't even like them at all.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

• 3 weeks later...

Rings_-_Official_Theatrical_Poster.png

2/10

This movie was so bad. Bad to the point where as an audience member who thinks the American Remake is a masterpiece, questions whether or not the makers of this actually sat down and watched the first one.

-The lead actress was not effectively able to cover her thick Italian accent. It seeped through every word she spoke, and was extremely distracting.

-The film used "visions" to help the story along, instead of using the effective "research" strategy of the original.

-Aimmee Teegarden was another distraction for me. The acting just doesn't sell it for me, IMO.

-The idea of braille being branded on her hand sorta felt like a contrived plot device that the writers never bothers with explaining why this girl had any purpose using in the first place.

-The opening scene on the plane happens in a matter of seconds, and I am pretty sure that the script must have been altered during the shooting, because the dialogue references things that were never said seconds prior. Also, a plane crash of that size would be well known to the characters afterwards, not just a throw away line like "some plane crash".

-Plot inconsistencies with the birth mother back story. She was portrayed as having black hair in the second film, now randomly she is a red head.

-The preacher father...haven't seen this actor in anything else, apparently he is a big deal in some circles, but the performance here had me questioning if he merely behaved this way as a **** you to the film itself. I watched it like :awkney:

-Samara apparently now doesn't require a video tape to kill you. She can move **** around with her mind. 

-At this point, the "oh its a story about a ghost? Well clearly lets make it so they want to be reborn" is like beating a dead horse at this point. If you can't come up with anything new, step away.

I love the original, was so sad to see this end up the way it did. But then again, after years of the finished product getting pushed back, it was expected. 

On 3/16/2017 at 8:15 PM, maxthewonderdog said:

Kong Skull Island. 0/10. This was more like a video game than a movie. I didn't care about any of the characters, including Kong which is a huge mistake on the screenwriters part. I'm a huge John Goodman fan, and for the first time, he totally phoned in a performance. I hope he was paid well. My friend and I didn't just "not like" it, we HATED it and were angry when we left. The Jessica Lange 1976 version is a classic compared to this.

This is so surprising to me! I really enjoyed it, and managed to not fall asleep like I did during the Peter Jackson one :toofunny:

On 1/10/2017 at 11:48 PM, KingOfTheClouds said:

I actually prefer JW to the original

It was hard for me to get past the lack of animatronics. That is what sold the original film. The dinosaurs looked REAL. The gyrosphere thing also sort of turned me of.

On 1/27/2017 at 5:14 AM, lilmonster93 said:

Split_(2017_film).jpg

Split = 9/10

Honestly James McAvoy needs oscar consideration for his performance. The movie was great and keeps your interest all the way through. It's mostly an intense and smart psychological thriller, but there are touches of humor and horror, which really work.

An improvement from The Visit; in M. Night's revival era.

This movie was AWESOME.

On 2/14/2017 at 4:40 AM, lilmonster93 said:

On 2/18/2017 at 6:00 AM, ilovekittens said:

lalaland-finalposter-cropped.jpg

"La La Land"  4/10

:huh: 4/10? I loved this movie!

On 2/26/2017 at 3:41 PM, lilmonster93 said:

200px-Teaser_poster_for_2017_film_Get_Ou

Get Out = 9.5

An amazing horror comedy. The mixture of humor and horror suspense is balanced effectively. The acting is great. And the psychological and social commentary elements were on point.

While I found this film entertaining, I don't quite understand the hype around it. 

On 3/5/2017 at 8:38 PM, lilmonster93 said:

Nocturnal_Animals_Poster.jpg

Nocturnal Animals = 9/10

This movie was beautifully shot.

maxthewonderdog

How to Be A Latin Lover 7/10. Funny in parts, but TOO long at almost two hours. Salma Hayek stole the show! It starts out r e a l l y S L O W L Y!!! It picks up quite a bit in the last 90 minutes.

bionic

IMG_20170323_0950491.jpg

Alien: Covenant – 7/10

If you go in expecting more Prometheus than Alien, you'll be happy. Some predictable moments but it's a fun summer action film.

buy bionic

portrait_incredible.jpg

7/10

Overall, entertaining. The dialogue was a tad corny and hokey at time, but overall it was fine. Story didn't seem as cohesive and dynamic as the original. Baby Groot stole the show. 

On 5/12/2017 at 5:14 PM, bionic said:

IMG_20170323_0950491.jpg

Alien: Covenant – 7/10

If you go in expecting more Prometheus than Alien, you'll be happy. Some predictable moments but it's a fun summer action film.

3/10

As an avid, long time fan of the series, this was extremely disappointing. Aside from great scenic visuals, the movie simply crumbled as soon as they touched down on the planet. The storyline wasn't coherent, the classic Alien seemed almost shoehorned into the movie. 

For someone who has spoken negatively against CGI over practical effects, and who's original film still to this day receives praise for the use of practical effects, I was shocked that Ridley Scott allowed the insanely awful CGI aliens to see the light of day.