💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should We Consider "ARTPOP" As A Genre/Subgenre?

C1trus

Featured Posts

C1trus
15 hours ago, River said:

We can call it Poetic EDM

15 hours ago, SpookyKid said:

nah, it's still EDM

just because a genre of music doesn't normally have some "deep" lyrics, doesn't mean that anything that does have them inside that genre turns into another one

Thanks for sticking to the topic and to every drag-less members participated:kara:

ι'м ρυℓℓιηg үσυя sтяιηgs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MaybeKermit

I remember when the album came out, most of the bad reviews said the songs were following old formulas, and the song compositions weren't innovative at all

Edonis
52 minutes ago, Unites said:

:ladyhaha: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

Me laughing so loud because people think Donutnutella is racist...

The world is sick. Amen.

I don't think anyone thinks Donatella is racist sis :emma: that's just the OP. 

OT: No. ARTPOP as a collective album is just EDM. Some songs dive deeper into other sub genres, but they certainly wouldn't been labeled as the already existing genre of art-pop. 

Mirages
1 hour ago, T3rrorBlade said:

I mean there's rock music, then there's rock and roll. 

But those are just influences...I wouldnt consider anything of ARTPOP of its own genre, what I think of in terms of breaking barriers with ARTPOP is how ahead of its time it was...Gaga predicted EDM would be big and she did it first unfortunatelly it wasnt as radiofriendly as JBs EDM and thats just because it wasnt basic, everything gaga does is intricate, not only performances, but music as well, its visible on every album besides Joanne.

I'm the bitch that's fragile

Luxe Ford

Have to mull over your post when I get home and can concentrate but OTTOMH Electronic Dance Music is a nothing new by far. See Donna Summer's I Feel Love from 1977, which is comptetly electronic and dance. Synth pop from Germany and England in the early 80ies laid ground for Chicago House, Detroit Techno and the Rave scene later in the decade and early 90ies. And pop in Europe has been predominantly electronic for many years.

I don't see ARTPOP as original enough to be considered a new genre. For staters it's too diverse to be crammed into one classification.

From time to time I hear people here saying electronic music is out/ on it's way out, but It hasen't gone away in more than 30 years. You can't undo technological advances. Elecric guitars haven't gone out of fashion. Not amplifiers or computers either. Airplanes? Drones? Intel?

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

GypsyBabe

Isn't ARTPOP already a genre though? Isn't Björk ARTPOP? :huh:

⚯͛

Smother Em Eh
3 hours ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

how is donatella racist?

It's not, but some people thought that it was. I think it's because of the line, "I'm blonde, I'm skinny, I'm rich and a little bit of a b****"? 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

ENVYotb73

Traditional ARTPOP isnt even a defined genre, its more accurately described as an approach or method of making music that is both commercial and high art simultaneously. It emphasizes style manipulation over personal expression and its artists deviate from the established traditional conventions of music creation.

In this case Gaga chose to create commercial art piece of music in the EDM genre. Her process eschewed the traditional conventions of music composition to create a piece of higher artistic achievement, specifically an work of ARTPOP music. The method employed renders it ARTPOP rather than EDM. The title of the album happens to also be the specific commercial art product it is.

TropicOfCANCER
23 minutes ago, ENVYotb73 said:

Traditional ARTPOP isnt even a defined genre, its more accurately described as an approach or method of making music that is both commercial and high art simultaneously. It emphasizes style manipulation over personal expression and its artists deviate from the established traditional conventions of music creation.

In this case Gaga chose to create commercial art piece of music in the EDM genre. Her process eschewed the traditional conventions of music composition to create a piece of higher artistic achievement, specifically an work of ARTPOP music. The method employed renders it ARTPOP rather than EDM. The title of the album happens to also be the specific commercial art product it is.

literally how did she do this, pray tell. :oprah:

C1trus
22 hours ago, Mirages said:

But those are just influences...I wouldnt consider anything of ARTPOP of its own genre, what I think of in terms of breaking barriers with ARTPOP is how ahead of its time it was...Gaga predicted EDM would be big and she did it first unfortunatelly it wasnt as radiofriendly as JBs EDM and thats just because it wasnt basic, everything gaga does is intricate, not only performances, but music as well, its visible on every album besides Joanne.

Look at the title please. sighs.

20 hours ago, JosephH said:

It's not, but some people thought that it was. I think it's because of the line, "I'm blonde, I'm skinny, I'm rich and a little bit of a b****"? 

This. You've got an open mind :kara:

21 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

Isn't ARTPOP already a genre though? Isn't Björk ARTPOP? :huh:

But they said it doesn't fit with the album ARTPOP.

21 hours ago, Luxe Ford said:

Have to mull over your post when I get home and can concentrate but OTTOMH Electronic Dance Music is a nothing new by far. See Donna Summer's I Feel Love from 1977, which is comptetly electronic and dance. Synth pop from Germany and England in the early 80ies laid ground for Chicago House, Detroit Techno and the Rave scene later in the decade and early 90ies. And pop in Europe has been predominantly electronic for many years.

I didn't just say "electronic" Since technology advances, Gaga used this opportunity to make ARTPOP sound more complicated from the earlier electronic works. That's quite distinct. All of the songs from the album needs more than just one listen to get familiar with the melody since they're oddly composed (in short, growers). These two are their common traits + deep meanings.

CTTR can be a candidate but the instrumental's not complicated enough. Woohoo is the closest one.

ι'м ρυℓℓιηg үσυя sтяιηgs

8 hours ago, JustAnotherDay said:

Art-pop is already a genre of music and nothing like the sound of ARTPOP

This

shoful
9 hours ago, androiduser said:

art-pop is a genre, but the album ARTPOP doesn't fit it.

Yup. The genre is Madonna's Like A Prayer

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Dominic

Its EDM. The lyrics aren't also that deep. Moreso unusual. Although I would love for it to be its own genre which i expected it to be pre-release. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

androiduser
2 hours ago, shoful said:

Yup. The genre is Madonna's Like A Prayer

I don't think Like a Prayer fits either...

It's more along the lines of Kate Bush, Bjork, Roxy Music, Peter Gabriel, Laurie Anderson...

Archived