šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Who was the last female singer to have a number 1 single?

NIghtmareElm

Featured Posts

Talent
Just now, KingOfTheClouds said:

if urban is the most popular genre why r there more stations on radio with pop music then urban music??

Urban is more explicit.Ā 
_

Ā 

šŸ”µ - Banned because I quoted a stupid meme. Literally. So, yeah.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loathereality
1 minute ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

if urban is the most popular genre why r there more stations on radio with pop music then urban music??

maybe urban becameĀ strong recently but increase in radio station number takes time?

Squeeshy Keety
6 minutes ago, KingOfTheClouds said:

not my fault u dont like EDM cause i do. Ā 

Love it. But not flavorless recycled album filler-esque duds of a songĀ that somehow top the chartsĀ :dry:

Electronic is the sh*t. Chainsmokers etc.Ā are just...Ā :madge:

They / Them šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

5 minutes ago, Squeeshy Keety said:

Love it. But not flavorless recycled album filler-esque duds of a songĀ that somehow top the chartsĀ :dry:

Electronic is the sh*t. Chainsmokers etc.Ā are just...Ā :madge:

maybe i like flavorless recycled filler trashĀ :derpga:

StrawberryBlond

The Billboard 100 makes such depressing reading when it comes to females with solo #1's of the last few years. You'll notice when it all started to go wrong. Here it is in chronological order, the rise and fall of female solo dominance...

2003 - nothing, although there were 3 female #1's that had a male feature and one male #1 with a female feature

2004 - I Believe 1 female #1

2005 - Hollaback Girl,Ā Inside Your Heaven, We Belong Together, Don't Forget About Us 4 female #1's

2006 -Ā Don't Forget About Us (continued from last year),Ā SOS, London Bridge, Irreplaceable 4 female #1's

2007 - Irreplaceable (continued from last year), Say It Right, Girlfriend, Big Girls Don't Cry, No One 5 female #1's

2008 - Touch My Body, Bleeding Love, Take A Bow, I Kissed A Girl, Disturbia, So What, Womanizer, Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) 8 female #1's

2009 - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) (continuing from last year), My Life Would Suck Without You, Pokerface, 3 4 female #1's

2010 - Tik Tok, Rude Boy, Teenage Dream, We R Who We R, Only Girl (in The World), Raise Your Glass, Firework 7 female #1's

2011 - Firework (continuing from last year), Hold It Against Me, Born This Way, S&M (2 females remix version!), Rolling In The Deep, Last Friday Night, Someone Like You 7 female #1's

2012 - Set Fire To The Rain, Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You), Part Of Me, Call Me Maybe, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, Diamonds 6 female #1's

2013 - Roar, Royals, Wrecking Ball, 3 female #1's

2014 - Fancy (2 females!), All About That Bass, Shake It Off 3 female #1's

2015 - Blank Space, Hello 2 female #1's

2016 - Hello (continuing from last year) 1 female #1

2017 - nothing so far, not even a featured verse. At most, Rihanna might get a featured #1 with Wild Thoughts.

This is awful. You can see how females rose significantly in 2008 but fell dramatically by 2013 (makes AP not look like such a flop, all things considered, huh?) And it was hardly like they dominated before, they just kept up with the males. But for females, keeping up with males is domination. At least Gaga got her hits when females were doing well. The fact she can't get a #1 now is a bit easier to take as so few women can achieve that now. At least we had some females on featured verses last year and some female #1's with a male verse but there's been absolutely no female presence on the #1's this year which is shocking. I mean, I'm The One had 5 guys on that. That is how much the music business knows what the public want right now. I'm getting so tired of constantly hearing male voices. Women are still making some of the best music out there. It's so utterly unfair. 9 female solo #1's in 5 years. In 2008, we had 8 in a year. I don't care what anyone says. Men are just getting a monopoly on this one and female artists aren't getting the positive hype they deserve.

6 hours ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

Who was the closest solo female to reach #1 since Adele? (Gaga reaching #4?)

No, although I can't say for sure, the best educated guess I can make is Nicki Minaj with Anaconda in late 2014. It peaked at #2. If anyone can correct me, feel free. Before that, I remember Katy Perry's Wide Awake at #2 in 12 and Gaga at #2 with Bad Romance in 2011.

Edit: I read your question wrong. Yeah, I do believe Gaga with Million Reasons. Which is absolutely wild. During Katy's Prism era, who would have thought she'd fail to get a solo #1 a mere 3.5 years later and Gaga, who was called a flop, could get a #4 solo hit?

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Ā 

Edit: I read your question wrong. Yeah, I do believe Gaga with Million Reasons. Which is absolutely wild. During Katy's Prism era, who would have thought she'd fail to get a solo #1 a mere 3.5 years later and Gaga, who was called a flop, could get a #4 solo hit?

Excellent!

But yeah the rest of your post really puts things in perspective. Seems like after Adele hit, it changed lol.Ā 

I do feel like "Work" by Rihanna would have gone #1 with or without a male feature though.

StrawberryBlond
1 hour ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

Excellent!

But yeah the rest of your post really puts things in perspective. Seems like after Adele hit, it changed lol.Ā 

I do feel like "Work" by Rihanna would have gone #1 with or without a male feature though.

Yep, it must be Gaga because I can't remember another female even coming remotely close with solo material since Hello, so yeah, it must be her. This record is going to be passed on when Taylor comes back, though.

Yes, I've been looking over the BB100 and really am shocked at how much we've been paying dust to females recently. There were a whopping 8 female solo #1's in 1999, back when Britney, Xtina, TLC, DC, Cher, etc. were ruling and there were also females with features like Mariah Carey and Celine did a duet with R Kelly. 1998 also had 8. Before this time, there were less #1's overall, so how many males vs. females no longer has the same weight. But in 2003 was when itunes started taking off, so this is the ideal time to begin it. So, not since 14 years ago have we had a year where there are no solo females on the chart. And 2003 still had women at #1, just with men helping them out. But this time, there's literally no females on the chart whatsoever. And here's something that's really going to blow your mind - there has never been a year in history where there were no female #1's on the BB100. The chart began in 1958. There are records from pre-1958 but they weren't #1's, they were just the best selling records in stores and numbers aren't exact, so they really don't count. 1958 is the year in which music first started being charted. So, yeah, back when the world was super sexist, there were still more females getting #1's than there have been this year so far. So, yeah, if this year produces no females at #1 (and bear in mind, all it needs is to be a featured verse to count), it will not only be the worst performance for women for 59 years but it will also be the worst performance for women in American history. But if anything, it'll hopefully give the industry the kick up the ass it needs to start giving women hype and promo.

Well, I wouldn't put it past Rihanna to still get a #1 regardless but considering that Drake was the bestselling male artist around at the present time, you can't deny he helped her considerably. Without him, people might have just thought Rihanna was a weird woman singing gibberish. But with a male presence, they took it seriously. I mean, not even Kanye and Paul McCartney to get her a #1, so I think the choice for this single was crucial. I think she chose him because she was desperate for a hit.

23 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Yep, it must be Gaga because I can't remember another female even coming remotely close with solo material since Hello, so yeah, it must be her. This record is going to be passed on when Taylor comes back, though.

Ā 

Yeah I couldn't find anyone else either. Rihanna hit #5 with "Love on the Brain". Gaga is still the closest.

Archived