opinion

"get a spray tan on holiday, in Taipei"

Quark

Featured Posts

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One good example to be honest is our beloved "Heavy Metal Lover"

I love HML so much yeah and it's like my fav. But the lyrics...

What's the poetry behind "I want your whisky mouth all over my blonde south" or "I could be your girl but would you love me if I rule the world" ? they're simple lyrics. But the melody work, the production... everything works together. It's an amazing song then.

It's not meant to be deep or anything but it works 

Donatella is... something like that. But people like to judge it because it's a happy uptempo song (in general, way more generic) and not dark\synthpop like HML

swooning
14 minutes ago, Creativek said:

Who's to say a lyric is bad anyways. Poetry is an art form and it's all subjective.

I love Donetella

There is definitely such thing as bad poetry. And don't call what Gaga does poetry.

Cuchulainn
Just now, swooning said:

There is definitely such thing as bad poetry. And don't call what Gaga does poetry.

:duck:?

Edonis

The song is supposed to make fun of the vapid, annoying, over the top personas of the rich elite. I don't get why fans still debate the merits of this song. It's literally satire. 

MuglerHooker
Just now, swooning said:

why not?

All lyrics are technically poems, they use all the same techniques.

Art doesn't have straight boundaries, especially literature and modern music, all art overlaps.

Buy ARTPOP On iTunes

Robinladen

Gaga's songwriting is really not her main skill. She has moments of greatness but overall she really benefits from working with other songwriters.

Decodekid

they're both too different 

Lorde's like: I tried to be what you wanted to.. they smoked all night... they're eating with spoons im singing the blues... and **** blah blah, my teeth are white, my mind is dark, your touch is gone but, but i'm the saviorr ooooooh oooooh let's dance and cry let's dance cry let's dance and cry, i reach the light, suck my eyes. I AM YOUNG BUT IM NOT WRONG.

Gaga in the other hand, is unpredictable  

Im Harol don't tell anyone

sipthistea

It's supposed to be ironic. Not to be taken seriously. 

The whole song is like that :poot:

Supersonic
18 minutes ago, Jester said:

It's bad because it's stupid and shallow tbh. Requires zero intellectual effort to write something like that.

I used to be like you and defend everything Gaga's ever done, but then started being more critical. She is the best artist I've ever seen. She is a true poet (I sometimes get chills just by reading her Instagram captions), she's the most creative girl out there, most intelligent celebrity etc. BUT it's not always visible in her songs. And she does have flaws.

Sometimes she adds so much artificial meaning to original meaningless lyrics that it feels forced. For example G.U.Y., it's catchy and makes you wanna dance, but the explanation behind it is just weak. Amazing art and music don't need to be explained. 

Once again, Gaga is the best out there, but she and her lyrics do have flaws.

I mean, that's the very point of the song. It's stupid and shallow, just like people think Donatella/anybody from the fashion industry is stupid and shallow for satirical reasons.

A much better example of a bad lyric is "You just had a salad today, boulangerie." You can't eat salads at a freaking bakery. The lines have no connection other than the rhyme, similar to what Nicki Minaj did back in the day with "And we ain't making up I don't need a mediator
Just let them bums blow steam, radiator"

Cuchulainn
1 minute ago, Supersonic said:

I mean, that's the very point of the song. It's stupid and shallow, just like people think Donatella/anybody from the fashion industry is stupid and shallow for satirical reasons.

A much better example of a bad lyric is "You just had a salad today, boulangerie." You can't eat salads at a freaking bakery. The lines have no connection other than the rhyme, similar to what Nicki Minaj did back in the day with "And we ain't making up I don't need a mediator
Just let them bums blow steam, radiator"

Maybe she had a salad but was dreaming about eating carbs 

Cerny

So I was looking for the worst lyrics on Google and one of the first results was Diddy's Can't Nobody Hold Me Down: "Young, Black and Famous with money hanging out my an*s". But then I asked myself why is this lyric bad? And to be honest, my conclusion is that not only is this lyric not bad, but is actually great. So why is this lyric great?

First, these lyrics form a complete sentence. There is nothing grammatically wrong with these lyrics. 

Second, the lyrics fit completely with the theme of the song. This song is about being a rich man and shamelessly showing everyone who you are. So he's is basically telling you, "hey, I'm a wealthy motherf*cker, I'm young and I say money hanging out my arse as in money to blow. I'm also young black and famous and when this song dropped, I was running one of the top record labels in the music industry" He is just saying it in a funny and conversational way. As if he is talking to someone else in the present tense. 

Last but not least is that rhyme at the end. So not only did he try to tell you how wealthy he is, but he also thought of an adjective (famous), and anatomy, a branch of biology (an*s) that would sound good/rhyme while at the same time sticking with the whole theme of the song.

So why is this one of the first results when I type, worst lyrics on Google? My only conclusion is that many don't like the content/theme of these lyrics and make the conclusion that these lyrics are bad. But just because someone writes something  that you don't like or agree with, it doesn't mean the the quality of the lyrics is bad. 

Pablo

Like Lorde's lyrics are any better :laughga: you can pick and choose all your want

Lorde has some dumb lyrics too

"I do my makeup in somebody else's car" :neyde:

"I'm kind of over getting told to throw my hands up in the air So there" :madge:

"Those great whites they have big teeth" :selena: 

"she thinks you love the beach, you're such a damn liar" :poot:

Don't visit my profile

Archived