Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Gaga’s Right-Hand Man, DJ WS, Makes More Than Just Pop Music

Varo Yan

Featured Posts

Varo Yan

It may seem to Lady Gaga‘s average Little Monster that Paul Blair (a.k.a. DJ White Shadow) has been keeping a low profile since his Grammy nomination for Born This Way and a follow-up string of ARTPOP records. It’s possible, though, you just weren’t paying close enough attention.

Blair felt compelled to explore W Sounds Suites’ many possibilities after spending years on the road with Gaga, whom he says is like his sister. If she had a sudden stroke of genius mid-tour while the two were writing, they wouldn’t always have the means to properly record or produce anything. But today, if if you’re a touring artist staying at a W Hotel, or if you find yourself in a city where a suite is available, having a spot right upstairs or down the street to write and record is an easy solution. The suites, which pair recording studios, writing rooms, lounges and event spaces, amount to a middle ground between comfort and creativity.

“The reason why I thought of this idea was when [Gaga and I] were on tour, so she’s an integral part of my life as I am of hers, I guess. I’m going to be creatively fulfilled for the rest of my life just having worked with her and all the little sparks that come off of it that turn out to be this kind of awesome stuff,” Blair says. “It’s a testament to [her].”

“Having worked with her,” doesn’t mean the relationship has expired, though. Blair, who’s consistently collaborated with Gaga, tells PopCrush that he’s been on-hand for most musical moves Gaga’s made since ARTPOP.

“When she did Joanne, I was there all the time,” he recalls. “I was there listening to stuff and going over stuff. She was making a record that I knew I couldn’t really contribute to, but I was there and listening and talking about what it was and trying to figure out how to do things. I couldn’t contribute, but that didn’t stop us from being friends.”

He also reveals that just before the W Seattle Sound Suite launch, he’d wrapped six weeks of studio work with Gaga, and says they were fruitful.

Blair has more to toast, too: The Sound Suite celebrated its launch April 13, and the next night, his public hiatus from working with Gaga effectively ended when he unveiled her Coachella headlining performance’s intro. Gaga went on to perform new song-of-summer contender “The Cure,” which Blair helped write. Produced by Detroit City, the tropical-tinged single’s studio cut dropped the morning after.

Many are citing the radio-friendly “Cure” as a throwback to Gaga’s earliest Fame days, which just highlights how much Gaga has evolved and shape-shifted since her 2008 debut. Reflecting on the many incarnations of his longtime collaborator (particularly on the Cheek to Cheek and Joanne projects that didn’t call for his in-studio assists), Blair says he relishes Gaga’s reinvention. And lucky for fans, it sounds like there’s more new music right around the corner.

“You can’t expect somebody to stay stagnant,” Blair says. “If one day, I wear a superhero outfit and everyone says, ‘Oh my god, you look so hot today,’ I don’t put the same outfit on every day for the rest of the week. You’ve gotta try and do other stuff. But I still have that outfit; I’ll still put that on and look dope. Hopefully, I can come up with a couple other ideas between now and next month, but what I’m saying is people are a little too quick to judge about things like that. And I guarantee you you’ll see some really cool s— happening again that you’ll like and it might not be what the next person likes, but the idea is to hang around and do things that you think are cool and put them in the universe.”

Spoiler

Read More: Lady Gaga’s Right-Hand Man, DJ White Shadow, Makes More Than Just Pop | http://popcrush.com/lady-gaga-dj-white-shadow-interview-quotes/?trackback=tsmclip

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lxdygxga

Intriguing that he said he worked with her for six weeks. I wonder just how much material she has ready to go onto a new release. 

Neight Shayde

how much material are we talking about here? an EP? LP? 

i'm here for any new gaga music!

MANiCURE1295

I <3 DJWS, so ****ing honest and real. One of the most real friends I feel like she has. He's always spoken very highly of her and defended her. I don't understand why you guys don't like him.

BlingNotTheMusic
6 minutes ago, Varo Yan said:

He also reveals that just before the W Seattle Sound Suite launch, he’d wrapped six weeks of studio work with Gaga, and says they were fruitful.

Many are citing the radio-friendly “Cure” as a throwback to Gaga’s earliest Fame days, which just highlights how much Gaga has evolved and shape-shifted since her 2008 debut. Reflecting on the many incarnations of his longtime collaborator (particularly on the Cheek to Cheek and Joanne projects that didn’t call for his in-studio assists), Blair says he relishes Gaga’s reinvention. And lucky for fans, it sounds like there’s more new music right around the corner. 

Hide contents

Read More: Lady Gaga’s Right-Hand Man, DJ White Shadow, Makes More Than Just Pop | http://popcrush.com/lady-gaga-dj-white-shadow-interview-quotes/?trackback=tsmclip

This interview. I'm shook. :giveup:

SIX WEEKS OF RECORDING

SAYS THEY WERE FRUITFUL

NEW MUSIC

AROUND

THE

CORNTER!

giphy.gif

Varo Yan
2 minutes ago, Edgelover129 said:

I <3 DJWS, so ****ing honest and real. One of the most real friends I feel like she has. He's always spoken very highly of her and defended her. I don't understand why you guys don't like him.

I like him, his work with QueenGa on BTW is masterpiece, and I wanna like that unique

monketsharona
7 minutes ago, merlot said:

i was hoping for RedOne but DJWS isn't so bad i guess :poot:

That doesn't exclude him ;) 

I just hope it won't be a full DJWS produced project. But glad he's back ! I love The Cure :)  

PropaGaga

Paul is great. I'm glad people are finally coming around to him after having meltdowns at the idea of him working on Joanne.

StarstruckIllusion

I'm quaking. What a Gag too, someone just called me a loose ******* on twitter for saying this is an new era, and minutes later, a video and this get confirmed lmaooo :sharon:

a buzz single? right before a tour? bitch please.

delusion lost :lolly:

Aga Gydal

Paul is the best collaborator she's got. He has constantly been on her vibe. Glad to see that they worked together again. Come through EP!

Archived