đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Father John Misty says he has no interest working with "pop stars"

monketsharona

Featured Posts

truthteller
6 minutes ago, retroglamx said:

I adore FJM and his music do this is a bit saddening to read, it almost sounds like he hated the experience :(

he said he enjoyed hanging out with her during the writing process in another interview from Pitchfork (the same publisher of this interview).

again, he was referring to the industry as a whole instead of certain people.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
holy scheisse
1 minute ago, Oivind said:

To say she's a prisoner is to question her integrity as an artist. If she's just making the music she's forced to make, not the music she wants to make, she doesn't have much integrity as an artist. I believe she makes music she wants to make, though. Maybe she's not as free as we would like to believe, but I feel confident she's not a slave, either. Lars Ulrich thinks she's quite independent, and said it was her decision to sing with Metallica. I believe that.

look at aura vs the demo. the story goes that the label made her change her vocals in order to sound more pop. look at sxsw when she said she was singing applause "becuse she had to". look at the GUY video where she literally tells the story of being a prisoner to the moneymaking machine until it shot her down. if you think she isnt, to an extent, a prisoner--the ARTPOP era says bye. now obviously she is not completely void of free will and choice and it seems that now more than ever she has more agency in work. like that viral video where she says she started to say no to things. but that doesnt mean that she wasnt in the past, it doesnt mean that she is free from all the politics of pop music. 

in a way, he compliments gaga and beyonce by saying they are prisoners. he says that they reach out to other people in order to get away from the "psychos" that are trying to oversee their career and every move. youre inferring that he is knocking gaga specifically, but really he is knocking pop music. 

also, in regards to their song, i always found it weird that gaga who has touted herself as writing all of her music, may or may not have had extremely minimal input in her song with him. but thats just me. who knows if his demo was recorded after they wrote the melody and lyrics together, or if he wrote that first and then she adapted it.

Juanjo

Lol Typical pretentious "indie" artist. Ugh, makes me so mad, it's not like he wrote for free. So sick of people demonizing pop music; yes, currently most of it is crap, but the most iconic/important songs of all time have been mainstream pop. He makes no sense and he can continue to be indie and live in a bubble, for all we care.

giphy.gif

Gaga, can you please stop giving light to these ungrateful idiots and call RedOne and Garibay? Thank you. :)

truthteller
10 minutes ago, Juanjo said:

Lol Typical pretentious "indie" artist. Ugh, makes me so mad, it's not like he wrote for free. So sick of people demonizing pop music; yes, currently most of it is crap, but the most iconic/important songs of all time have been mainstream pop. He makes no sense and he can continue to be indie and live in a bubble, for all we care.

no offence, isnt this just another level of pretentious-ness?

i mean meanwhile we may think Gaga's music is to some extents better than the generic basic pop music like the Chainsmokers / Meghan Trainor / Katy Perry because they're sellouts and catering to the mass consumers, but you can't handle another person saying he's not a big fan of pop industry?

Gaga also is known for being a "snob" in the pop scene, aiming at making ART instead of forgettable pop songs, but that's exactly why she's standing out from all the other people in the field.

HEARTSTOP

Well this isn't surprising. I don't think he has anything against Gaga. It's just that Indie artists in general hate the Pop music industry. Sia has said multiple times that she hates Pop music, but it's what gives her money so she sells out and makes Pop bops. She says she feels uncomfortable for going the commercial Pop route, but she usually keeps Indie songs for herself and her friends, and that's enough for her right now.

IDGAF

holy scheisse
Just now, truthteller said:

no offence, isnt this just another level of pretentious-ness?

i mean meanwhile we may think Gaga's music is to some extents better than the generic basic pop music like the Chainsmokers / Meghan Trainor / Katy Perry because they're sellouts and catering to the mass consumers, but you can't handle another person saying he's not a big fan of pop industry?

Gaga also is known for being a "snob" in the pop scene, making ART instead of forgettable pop songs, but that's exactly why she's standing out from all the other people in the field.

so true. dont people realize gaga herself has her own criticisms of pop? theres a reason she "almost quit pop music", and diverged into jazz.. and acting.. and whatever genre joanne is. she clearly is/was fed up with pop music and yet these people are defending pop and gaga as though the two are mutually exclusive. sure gags is a pop artist but shes definitely always been a different kind of pop artist. one that doesnt collaborate with contemporaries for hits, one that (except for EDM on ARTPOP) doesnt follow trends... etc.

The Fame Joanne
1 minute ago, arctikstorm said:

Well this isn't surprising. I don't think he has anything against Gaga. It's just that Indie artists in general hate the Pop music industry. Sia has said multiple times that she hates Pop music, but it's what gives her money so she sells out and makes Pop bops. She says she feels uncomfortable for going the commercial Pop route, but she usually keeps Indie songs for herself and her friends, and that's enough for her right now.

But if they decide to work in the pop industry (like Sia) then they should stop acting like they are better than the rest. It's just pretentious to be like that, while going against your believes at the same time 

uo111
4 hours ago, monketsharona said:

Not sure of it I think MArk Ronson said that it was Interscope decision to bring FJM, Hillary Lindsey and BloodPop.

Receipts? 

This interview leads us to believe that Interscope makes suggestions to Gaga, not forces artist on her.

HEARTSTOP
Just now, The Fame Joanne said:

But if they decide to work in the pop industry (like Sia) then they should stop acting like they are better than the rest. It's just pretentious to be like that, while going against your believes at the same time 

Yeah I get your point but it's just like an anarchist realizing their ideology is just a utopy, so they resign to capitalism instead of rebelling against it. However if you ask them their opinion, they'll tell you that it sucks that it has to be that way.

IDGAF

truthteller
11 minutes ago, holyscheisse said:

so true. dont people realize gaga herself has her own criticisms of pop? theres a reason she "almost quit pop music", and diverged into jazz.. and acting.. and whatever genre joanne is. she clearly is/was fed up with pop music and yet these people are defending pop and gaga as though the two are mutually exclusive. sure gags is a pop artist but shes definitely always been a different kind of pop artist. one that doesnt collaborate with contemporaries for hits, one that (except for EDM on ARTPOP) doesnt follow trends... etc.

i mean even when she decided to take her label's advice to make more light + party + on-trend music for ARTPOP, she also tried to balance it with some high concepts, trying to do her spirit cooking things, scream AAAAAAAAA naked on youtube, collabing w/ Jeff Koons , vomit art, etc. :gaycat:

even she made ARTPOP, her whole attitude was a ROCKSTAR to me if thinking about what she did in that period again.

so it's actually NOT a bad thing to be so-called "pretentious".

it all depends on the execution. and  if one can back your concepts/ideas up with your work.

The Fame Joanne
2 minutes ago, arctikstorm said:

Yeah I get your point but it's just like an anarchist realizing their ideology is just a utopy, so they resign to capitalism instead of rebelling against it. However if you ask them their opinion, they'll tell you that it sucks that it has to be that way.

And they can say that they hate it. But I just don't like the arrogant tone they often have while talking about pop artists. I mean if those ex-indie people go pop despite hating it, they really aren't better than them 

HEARTSTOP
1 minute ago, The Fame Joanne said:

And they can say that they hate it. But I just don't like the arrogant tone they often have while talking about pop artists. I mean if those ex-indie people go pop despite hating it, they really aren't better than them 

You know...some people just like to complain. Specially people "against the system", but in the end most of them are hypocrites, just like most people in the world.

IDGAF

5 hours ago, Camore said:

This is sad and disappointing since Gaga actually made me listen to his interesting music.

Oh well. Gotta cut someone off this picture.

CvOIvMYWAAA9vnm.jpg

our girl is looking fleek where is this from

monketsharona
10 minutes ago, uo111 said:

Receipts? 

This interview leads us to believe that Interscope makes suggestions to Gaga, not forces artist on her.

I can't remember on which one it is, it was before Joanne came out when Gaga and him were talking about the whole album and creative process. Maybe a Billboard article, not sure of it.

Well that doesn't mean he liked doing it... Apparently he wouldn't reiterate working with popstars like Lady Gaga and Beyoncé. 

Anyway I don't think she can't do without him in the future. This seems to be an occasional collaboration to me...  

BABBLYON
5 hours ago, FATCAT said:

Lowkey he sounds strung out on something :rip:

Most likely John Wayne 

Archived