Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
achievement

New York Times PRAISES 'Grigio Girls' and Gaga.

junolxf

Featured Posts

junolxf

C6iczmKV4AEYSES.jpg

C6icvnBUwAAQnib.jpg

C6icvPuV0AEJ-7e.jpg

C6icyU6U0AIt6tn.jpg

Spoiler

When Lady Gaga, draped in what looked like the silver uniform for a sport that hadn’t yet been invented, jumped off the roof of NRG Stadium at the Super Bowl this year, she reaped the benefits of a safe-but-exciting performance almost immediately. Fireworks shows and rip-roaring acrobatics and dancing in front of a group of second-rate backup dancers in capes are the kind of broadly appealing theatrics that generate awe without shock, intrigue without the threat of controversy. Her albums shot to the top of the music charts, her performance was roundly praised by fans and critics and more than 111 million viewers were reminded that her 2009 single “Bad Romance” still bangs.

This wasn’t Lady Gaga’s comeback, as many claimed: She never really left us, nor had she abandoned the music that made her famous.

Two of Gaga’s early albums, “The Fame” (2008) and “Born This Way” (2011), were bursting at the seams with instantly memorable dance-pop hits. But after her fourth solo album, the both fairly and unfairly maligned “ARTPOP” (2013), failed to deliver that kind of instant success, Gaga redirected her focus from an ostentatious existence — she wore a dress of raw beef to the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, after all — to less-bombastic acts of musical bravura that showcased her virtuosic skills as both a singer and a pianist. Last October, she released her much-anticipated fifth album, the deeply personal and country-tinged “Joanne.”

So when she fell to Earth during last month’s Super Bowl and performed the hits that made her famous, fans who thought “Joanne,” with its stripped-down production and abundance of twang, was yet another sign that she had abandoned her old ways were able to breathe a sigh of relief: Gaga’s verve hadn’t gone anywhere. It’s a message she made clear in “Grigio Girls,” a midtempo acoustic bonus track and the album’s best song.

In “Grigio Girls,” Gaga recalls a moment in her early 20s when she was “spiraling out,” only to be saved by the contagious spirit of her 30-something friend Sonja Durham, who was battling breast cancer at the time. “Grigio Girls” is an ode to friendship and singing along to your favorite songs off-key. But through some strange alchemy involving pop-culture references and cheap wine, it manages to do more than just celebrate sisterhood: It’s proof that Gaga is still fundamentally Gaga, whether she’s wrapped in meat or the arm of her recent collaborator, Tony Bennett. Though explicitly about Dunham and the inspirational “tough girl” persona she shared with Joanne Germanotta (Gaga’s aunt, who died in 1974 and for whom the album is named), “Grigio Girls” becomes something more universal once Gaga’s own voice is joined by the backing harmony. “Sisters never pack up,” the singers reassure us. “We always run back.”♦

What do you think? This is so random.
I still remember their 'Joanne' review very well. 

ARTICLEhttps://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/09/magazine/25-songs-that-tell-us-where-music-is-going.html?_r=0#/lady-gaga-grigio-girls

"Seems to be trendy lately to talk sh*t about 'Lady Gaga' when your albums/singles drop." - Leviticus 20:27

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edonis

This is cute but I would've never connected Grigio Girls to referencing her "old persona" coming back, aside from the Sonja storyline. That's an interesting interpretation :diane: 

Luke78619

Good! GG doesn't get any love here and it's a shame. It's s cute song about friendship that clearly is very personal to Gaga and has clever lyrics that will remain my favourites for years 

"watch your blues turn gold" :diane:

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

Gov Hooka

"she reaped the benefits of a safe-but-exciting performance"

wtf does this bitch have to do to get some sort of recognition?? :wtf:

since when is jumping off the roof and flipping around with cables all while singing considered safe :saladga: 

I also feel like they were throwing a lot of shade and it felt like a backhanded compliment.

"second-rate backup dancers." Only her dancers served actual synchronized choreography and didn't just shake their asses or move their arms up and down on stage :saladga:

FrankGutz

not GG getting the praise :air: 

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

That's cute but I havn't heard about New York Times since like I was in the 7th grade..when they used to be popular :awkney:

Spoiler

NEVER forget that horrible review they gave Joanne when it was released

weed

Tbh Grigio Girls has become one of my faves on the album

it would be so fun and shocking if it were a single, I'd love it

FRANZGA
12 minutes ago, Gov Hooka said:

"she reaped the benefits of a safe-but-exciting performance"

wtf does this bitch have to do to get some sort of recognition?? :wtf:

since when is jumping off the roof and flipping around with cables all while singing considered safe :saladga: 

I also feel like they were throwing a lot of shade and it felt like a backhanded compliment.

"second-rate backup dancers." Only her dancers served actual synchronized choreography and didn't just shake their asses or move their arms up and down on stage :saladga:

I think the SAFE part is for staying out of politics.. or not in obvious or straight up way..

idk about the 2nd rate back up danver tho.. but at least it's not "gaga being a 2nd rate dancer" or smthing like that

FRANZGA

I love this line tho.

This wasn’t Lady Gaga’s comeback, as many claimed: She never really left us, nor had she abandoned the music that made her famous.

junolxf
15 minutes ago, Albertodift said:

That's cute but I havn't heard about New York Times since like I was in the 7th grade..when they used to be popular :awkney:

Reveal hidden contents

NEVER forget that horrible review they gave Joanne when it was released

That critic was just a sad hater tbh. 

"Seems to be trendy lately to talk sh*t about 'Lady Gaga' when your albums/singles drop." - Leviticus 20:27

Archived