Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Joanne needs to have singles, some songs have the potential to be classics

mee

Featured Posts

For me personally Joanne is the best Gaga album ever and i would be disappointed when the world can't hear great records like John Wayne, Come To Mama, Dancin In Circles, Angel Down. I think that Gaga and Interscope underestimate the single potential of those songs.

It's a fact that most people around the world learn to love songs through the radio. So many people will never add the quality of the new Gaga music to their ideas of what Lady Gaga is. So they will stick in their minds that Lady Gaga is only this weird rah rah rah dance pop stuff. I think the album has many classics which would work worldwide as singles.

For example Come To Mama, when they release this song around christmas it will be big. They need just clever timing and  communication. Put it also in a christmas add for example.

They should not calculate what can be successful from perspective of the old Gaga sound or from current trend perspective. 

I swear, on the album are classics that must be heard on radio stastions around the world. 

I talk about songs like Come To Mama, Just Another Day, Angel Down, these are classics which deserves to be radio hits like we know some from the the big  singer songwriters from the past. They are timeless. And i talk about other songs, because the has also very good single potential which sounds hip:  John Wayne and Dancin' In Circles. these are also hits.

Perfect Illusion was a bad choice at all. Can't really understand who wanted that song as a single. The problem is that it was to screamy but not in a rock'n'roll way, it doesen't fit because the arrangement is too pop.

So what dou you think ? Should they release singles or not ? When  not, many people outside of US will not get so much from the new Gaga and she also can not establish classics, which are truly existing on the album, this would the most painful part :giveup:

MaryJaneHolland

i think we just twisted her words :air:

she didnt say anything like "there wont be singles"

she just wanted to avoid the question about ayo being a single :air:

Let the promo singles do their work, the album is barely a week old, give it time.

It's doing totally fine without a single on the radio and with only 2 promo singles..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Chinosky
3 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

i think we just twisted her words :air:

she didnt say anything like "there wont be singles"

she just wanted to avoid the question about ayo being a single :air:

Omg so true :cryga:

But yeah I want more singles this era because for me, it's her best album to date.

Father, Son, and House of Cucci

Versace

The only single-material songs on the record are A-YO and Million Reasons, there's a reason they were chosen as promo singles.

Even Perfect Illusion isn't single material in my opinion, I think it was more of a buzz single and A-YO and Million Reasons were being saved for better promo.

Dancin In Circles and Grigio Girls could work also but are risky and would take immense promo.

Other than that, I'm sorry to say I don't see any potential for the other songs, the album is just too different sonically for today's day and age, you can't force things down the GP's throat. You have songs that are growers and you have things that would just be paid dust. Heck even single-material songs get paid dust as we've seen with Marry The Night and Do What U Want (deserved better even without a video).

2 minutes ago, Versace said:

The only single-material songs on the record are A-YO and Million Reasons, there's a reason they were chosen as promo singles.

Even Perfect Illusion isn't single material in my opinion, I think it was more of a buzz single and A-YO and Million Reasons were being saved for better promo.

Dancin In Circles and Grigio Girls could work also but are risky and would take immense promo.

Other than that, I'm sorry to say I don't see any potential for the other songs, the album is just too different sonically for today's day and age, you can't force things down the GP's throat. You have songs that are growers and you have things that would just be paid dust. Heck even single-material songs get paid dust as we've seen with Marry The Night and Do What U Want (deserved better even without a video).

You hear the songs too much from the perspective of what sounds sonically cool, but i talk what sounds like a real classic and a good classic can happen at all times,  no matter how the trend is. Some records are very are very heart-warming ( Come To Mama, Just Another Day ) and original ( John Wayne, Dancin In Circles ) and emotional ( Angel Down, Million Reasons, Come To Mama )...they truly can become classics but they need radio of course. In my opinion they all sound very radio-friendly.

Yo GagaGaga

Angel Down seriously needs to be a single, so far everyone I know who's part of the GP and heard the album loved Angel Down the most. Its the best song on the album IMO

Versace
2 hours ago, INTERNET said:

You hear the songs too much from the perspective of what sounds sonically cool, but i talk what sounds like a real classic and a good classic can happen at all times,  no matter how the trend is. Some records are very are very heart-warming ( Come To Mama, Just Another Day ) and original ( John Wayne, Dancin In Circles ) and emotional ( Angel Down, Million Reasons, Come To Mama )...they truly can become classics but they need radio of course. In my opinion they all sound very radio-friendly.

She's no Adele though, especially with the ARTPOP backlash, I don't think she will be given an opportunity to make a song like Come To Mama or John Wayne or even Angel Down a classic. You have to consider what a single means, you are suggesting for some songs that are sonically outdated to be put out into radio stations of the world. Radio is a format catered to the general public and not diverse music lovers. No one wants Come To Mama playing in their car, especially non-gaga fans, they'd rather have bieber's song or EDM trash, so if Gaga is gonna create a classic, she at least has to push out songs that have potential to speak to the world. A-YO and Million Reasons have great potential unlike the other songs, in my opinion. A-YO can make any one dance and that's what people want on their radios, happy upbeat songs, A-YO can achieve that while still displaying artistry and becoming a classic rocky folky dance song in an age dominated by shallow electronic music. Million Reasons can touch people's heart's same way Rihanna's Stay and Adele's Someone Like You did. It's such a relatable song , we all have reasons to give up but we need just one to carry on, I mean yes Angel Down can touch people's hearts also but it's in the same vein as Million Reasons which is the more superior song and that's a popular opinion. Again John Wayne is upbeat too but A-YO does the job better, John Wayne as a single is like Gaga releasing Heavy Metal Lover during the BTW era or Mary Jane Holland during ARTPOP. The album exists to please music lovers at heart but singles should be approached from a commercial and gp-friendly stand point, we have to look at the bigger picture. Singles are songs that will appeal to the non-gaga fans/listeners so that they can be interested in the album and buy it thus boosting its sales. Us fans and music lovers at heart have the album to enjoy, the truth of the matter singles are not for us. We have the album, tour and performances to look forward to, what goes on the radio is not something we should be fussy about, as long as they pick the right songs, fan favs can stay on our iphone playlists. This fan base had a meltdown when You and I was chosen as BTW's 4th single over Scheisse, interscope made the right choice though, they catered to a song that had the potential to stand the test of time and not fan favs. You and I is one of her most loved songs by the GP and is a top 10 hit, on top of that it's a testament to her raw talent even early in her career, if Scheisse was put out instead it would have been forgotten months later. 

Come to mama and Just another day are the most hated song in Joanne and you think it should be a single? this album is not meant to be #1 or very successful so just leave it alone and enjoy it. 

Dorothy Gale

I think fans underestimate this album. I mean who cares if Gaga released say, Joanne (song) as a single. Who's to say that the song would flop? We honestly don't know. It'd be a risk but could pay off. John Wayne and Dancin' In Circles are both fairly radio friendly on their own. 

6 minutes ago, Versace said:

She's no Adele though, especially with the ARTPOP backlash, I don't think she will be given an opportunity to make a song like Come To Mama or John Wayne or even Angel Down a classic. 

I did not read your whole comment so ill just reply to this.. Gaga can be like adele and release these kind of music but these songs from Joanne are not that good to be that kind of hit. Gagas voice and ability is way better than the slow songs she does.

Archived