💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Longevity

giskardsb

Featured Posts

giskardsb

I keep reading people post that if Gaga wants "longevity" than she needed to produce a radio friendly, commercial pop album.

What makes you think that's the kind of longevity Gaga wants though?

I don't see anything in Gaga's history that would lead one to believe that she intends to try to be topping pop charts targeted at teens as she get's older.

Gaga, as we know, is likely to continue acting and will probably do stage theatre at some point.  Musically, she has almost never "targeted" pop radio with whatever is trendy at the current time, and she seems more interested than ever in following her own personal muses and paying homage to her influences.  At this point she seems content to do what she wants, and let the cards fall where they fall as to whether pop radio wants to play it or not.  In fact as she continues I think it much more likely her music will fall in the Adult Contemporary category far more often than typical pop radio.   Gaga has always been an "old soul" that in many ways doesn't fit in with the pop industry.

Longevity for Gaga probably means acting, theatre, and music projects in the genres she wants and that she feels motivated to do.   It probably means writing music for important projects that mean something to her.  She has mentioned wanting to have her own label and providing a breeding ground for new generations of talent. 

People love to bring up at times arguments such as "if she is not careful, she will become the next Cyndi Lauper instead of Madonna", but the truth is I think she would much more prefer the career path of Cyndi than Madonna.  Cyndi has accomplished great things, even if it's not always at the center of the public eye. 

Gaga will be around as long as she wants.  Maybe not as the #1 HBIC "pop queen", but there is no indication that is the career path she is interested in.  Being on top for the sake of being on top doesn't seem to hold value for her, especially with her renewed emphasis on "balance". 

KleinGa

Great point, but what happens when she can't do her worldwide tours that she loves so much cauz she's not selling worldwide, how is she going to get into projects when she moves from Status A in her label to a Status D, how is she going to make the coins to keep her creativity alive? 

If she fades into irrelevance in the music scene, highly doubt mainstream movie production companies will allow her to lead in their movies.

We might see our indie queen in independent films at sundance that gross $45000 a year. Not bad, tbh if she wants to focus in on things that are interesting to her. But she's slowly destroying what she's built all these years, what she put her sweat and blood into. My friend told me today that she thinks Gaga was just doing all of what she did from 2008-2014 just to earn money so now she can do whatever she wants.

IDK, I just know that I'll just be looking to see whatever path she takes, cauz this woman, if I know her as much as I'd like to think, is a genius that lives to entertain. She's a walking performance art. 

Also, Cyndi Lauper achieved AMAZING things too but she didn't have longevity either which is what Gaga has said many many many times that she wants. She always says "I want to be remembered". 

RadioIsOurs

I feel that longevity needs to come from CRITICAL ACCLAIM. The real debate here is: Is PI critically acclaimed? 

giskardsb
19 minutes ago, RainbowBlonde said:

I feel that longevity needs to come from CRITICAL ACCLAIM. The real debate here is: Is PI critically acclaimed? 

No artist gets universal acclaim every era. It's more of a body of work. 

RadioIsOurs
Just now, giskardsb said:

True. But considering PI is a lead single, I think it's a pretty big deal. Something that has longevity needs make people in generations to come to look back at it and say, 'Yeah, that's remarkable!'

I guess most of us would agree she prefers the path of Madonna if she continues to dominate in charts and awards, it's when she fails to do so, we resort to a more comfortable answer to please ourselves.

No difference to Katy fans saying she doesn't need a Grammy.

6 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

Coldplay has it over 6 years apart, though it's a band. Adele almost every albums. Beyonce just grabbed a few Grammy's.

Stephen

Agree and you reminded me of something she said in 2014 when discussing charts, success etc.

"Having people envy you really isn't fun at all. Having people feel apart of you, and feel one with you, that's the greatest feeling that there is".

giskardsb
28 minutes ago, Gagafy said:

I guess most of us would agree she prefers the path of Madonna if she continues to dominate in charts and awards, it's when she fails to do so, we resort to a more comfortable answer to please ourselves.

No difference to Katy fans saying she doesn't need a Grammy.

Not surpringly pop fans use Pop stars as a reference especially stans that treat pop as a competitive activity. I think Gaga looks more toward Streisand, Cher, and Liza as well wounded artists. 

Archived