💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Unpopular opinion: The thing that I loved most about ARTPOP ...

Andy McQueen

Featured Posts

Andy McQueen

... was her collaborations with the famous artists Marina Abramović, Robert "Bob" Wilson, Jeff Koons as well as Inez Van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin. 

I know that this is quite an unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed those collaborations probably even more than the album/music/record alone itself, because for me as a long-time art nerd (I'm obsessed like a freak with high as well as lowbrow art and pop culture since I was a child) and artist myself, this was the most interesting part for me and served the theme of "ARTPOP" much more than the songs did, at least for me personally (this is just my impression, I'm well aware many of you feel differently about this and everyone has a different taste and view of course! :) ).

I feel like those collaborations are highly underrated in my opinion. No pop artist ever before has done this, I think it's revolutionary tbh - besides Gaga is the first celebrity that has ever been in the louvre! 

tumblr_mwsas2VYe41qa4iv8o1_500.png

I'm kinda sad tbh that people of the public didn't aknowledge this more. Same goes for Volantis and the Bubble Dress 2.0, this has been a huge deal actually!

Aside from Koons, to me it seems like she collaborated with them more than they collaborated with her. Marina and Robert could have been more active in the visuals and performances in my opinion.

Dominic

I think she should have taken this concept further.  Whilst they are interesting all she's done is replace the figure in the paintings with herself.

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Evan Peters

actually, a ton of people were talking about that meditation video. shockingly, i saw more people praising her than dragging her for that. 

i loved the work she did with jeff. they should do more stuff together 

emma roberts is an abuser

Is that unpopular? It's my favourite 'thing' too :laughga:

I'd love her to work more with Robert Wilson specifically, but Marina too. I'd love for her to push herself more like this and be more bold as an artist.

These collaborations may have come at a rough point in Gaga's career, but I feel like not only is this absolutely fascinating but it also distinguishes her more from her contemporaries and those that came before her.

This is the sort of growth I'd love to see more of.

giskardsb

these collaborations WERE ARTPOP.  She always made it clear it was about the melding of visual and performance arts with music, not some sort of uber artistic music itself.

I agree 100% with you. This was the most exciting and enjoyable part of the ARTPOP era for me.

I've been a very big fan of Marina Abramovic for such a long time and seeing her not only take Gaga seriously but take her under her wing and help her explore performance as high art was something I thoroughly enjoyed.

And just like you I believe the pieces she made with Robert Wilson are highly under appreciated. Last year I used to watch those interviews she did in germany over and over, as well as the ones with Robert Wilson. Those are the moments that make me most proud as a Gaga fan. :nick:

Oh, I'm just visiting-

These were surely interesting projects! I feel like they don't have a connection with the album though :koons:
But I love that she did something else besides the music too :nick:

Lord Temptation

Oh how I love ARTPOP. It was an experiment to see how fake we as a society have become. When critics accuse her of artificiality, she performs in the nude. When critics question her authenticity, she performs while getting spat on. When critics write their hate speeches, she sings with pure devotion "Do what you want to my image but let's keep the party going". Oooh baby I can write a gazillion essays about ARTPOP.

1 hour ago, Dominic Marc said:

I think she should have taken this concept further.  Whilst they are interesting all she's done is replace the figure in the paintings with herself.

That was literally the whole point, though. Putting pop in art, and 'using the pop star as a canvas'.

I actually loved this part of the era, and I think it was really successful. I know everybody calls ARTPOP a flop and a mess, but I think parts of it were executed really well. I loved the idea of the trinity of artists using Gaga as a canvas. It was a fascinating concept and it worked, in my opinion. It was only when the album was released that everything seemed to go to pot. 

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

1 hour ago, giskardsb said:

these collaborations WERE ARTPOP.  She always made it clear it was about the melding of visual and performance arts with music, not some sort of uber artistic music itself.

Yes!  People look too hard trying to find the art in the music, while the art was in everything in the era.  I thought artRAVE seen live was very artistic, for example.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Archived