Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Stan behaviour and pointless hate

Mobster

Featured Posts

Mobster

I don't know if this has been discussed very often on this forum, but I just wanted to put it out there.

I've seen many GGD members and little monsters in general thrive on the demise of other pop stars. Some people want to see albums like ANTi torn into shreds for selling less than ARTPOP, to sort of "compensate" for the injustice suffered by the latter. (I'm just using ANTi and ARTPOP as an example, but you get the idea). I'm not trying to sound dramatic, because it isn't that big of a deal. And I'm also aware that most of these statements aren't supposed to be taken too seriously or are simply a result of the stan-persona that consumes us when discussing things on a pop forum.

I'm not referring to the false sense of accomplishment some of us like to indulge in, whenever Gaga is doing well. I'm talking about the malicious pleasure of seeing other artists underperform. Yes, other fanbases do it, too, but I still consider it somewhat ridiculous to enjoy revenge. Especially considering the fact that artists shouldn't be held accountable for some of their fans' opinions. We criticize all the hate towards Gaga, I do, however, remember when Gaga was huge and little monsters took it upon themselves to spam every other singer's video with mean comments to emphasize Gaga's status as the "Queen of Pop", while tearing down other artists. I think don't think there are too many other artists who managed to reach Gaga's level of success in such a short period of time.

Back then, little monsters didn't have to show humility for an artist that was struggling to make it, but rather boasted about Gaga's seemingly effortless success. Part of the hate sent Gaga's way, is basically rooted in the perception that fans speak on behalf of their idols, considering Gaga herself has always remained humble. I know most of this hate is confined to pop forums, but sometimes you can also see it reflected in the general public. Many of those "fans" probably left already, but it's interesting how it resulted in a vicious circle, where new fans scorn certain artists' work in order to compensate for the negativity surrounding Gaga's name.

What's your opinion?

But I'm only a man and I do what I can.

Whispering

Pop forum culture. It's this way everywhere. GGD is actually pretty tame, compared to most.

GGD is also an equal-opportunity "pointless hate" site, as they hate on Gaga just as much as...if not more than, any other artist. 

KURUSHITOVSKA

Other fanbases talk trash about Gaga all the time and sometimes I get tired of beig a good and polite person. They called Gaga a flop, irrelevant, they said that she was over but yet she's still a better singer/songrwirtter and performer than other popstars, so I don't see why do I have to keep beig nice on things I don't like when they've been disrespectful all the time. They're celebs, they're not going to read if I hate an album or I don't like a singer. Basically this is a Gaga forum and I'm here because I love Gaga and I'm going to see love for her here. I'm not on a Katy forum because i don't like her at all so I don't care if someone throws shade on her here in GGD... And the ANTi thing, they've always got that Born This Way/Amazon thing in their mouths, so I guess it's time for them to take the tea... Even though when I tell my opinion I just try to do it politely and respectful.

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

The fanbases of pop stars like Katy, Rihanna, Britney and Madonna were all OTT when Gaga flopped and now I guess we want them to feel karma for what they've done.

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

Haroon

I agree, it's upsetting and worrying to see people celebrate the misfortune of others :ohno: Why not go out and celebrate the good things happening to those you like instead? Wouldn't that be time and effort better spent? :duck: Plus what is anyone really achieving out of partying over this or that flopping, it's just something I don't really understand :emma: 

Whispering
2 minutes ago, Haroon said:

I agree, it's upsetting and worrying to see people celebrate the misfortune of others :ohno: Why not go out and celebrate the good things happening to those you like instead? Wouldn't that be time and effort better spent? :duck: Plus what is anyone really achieving out of partying over this or that flopping, it's just something I don't really understand :emma: 

I agree. Maybe we could start doing that here for Gaga and promote more positive behavior overall. It will trickle down, if that is the atmosphere that is established here first for the person this site is dedicated to! 

But how can you enjoy the success of one if you are not taking pleasure in the downfall of your fave's competiton? One cannot exist without the other. If you want one player to win, then you want the others to lose. Therefore, when they do lose it makes you happy.

It really is not that complicated, it's simple and logical actually.

I don't really get it. They always use the same excuse such as "omg but this is a site for Gaga and everyone drags her!!1 It's only fair!!!" when that's far from the truth. They're just trying to justify the hatred they have for others by accusing Gaga's own fans of being "bad" for discussing the highs and lows.

I suppose that's what you get when you have such a large community, you have some people with little to do in their own lives so they thrive of fan drama. They start living through Gaga and want her to be untouchable and succeed in every aspect so they feel like they do. That's why they're so obsessed when another fan doesn't like something Gaga's done, they take it personally.

11 minutes ago, Creyk said:

But how can you enjoy the success of one if you are not taking pleasure in the downfall of your fave's competiton? One cannot exist without the other. If you want one player to win, then you want the others to lose. Therefore, when they do lose it makes you happy.

It really is not that complicated, it's simple and logical actually.

No, we can be happy about Gaga's achievements without bringing down other artists or laughing at their mistakes. For example, if Gaga wins an Oscar, we could simply say "Congrats I'm so happy!" And we would be happy that the other nominees had lost (because they are the competitors), but there's no need to say "I'm so happy that Gaga won an Oscar! Unlike Katy, that is a flop." There's no need to harm others at all. If Gaga was actually flopping we could have an excuse to behave like that, but we have more than enough achievements to be proud of her without dragging down other people. It's unnecessary hate.

22 minutes ago, Pop said:

The fanbases of pop stars like Katy, Rihanna, Britney and Madonna were all OTT when Gaga flopped and now I guess we want them to feel karma for what they've done.

Well I'm sure they all aren't reading GGD and feeling the karma power when they read all the hate comments toward other artists

Iwontell

That's all true, but unfortunately it's really part of human behavior...I see it in pop music forums, I see it in the game community (Xbox users and PS users are attacking each other all the time and sometimes it's even worse than the things I read here), I see it when people are talking about sports, I see it on people debating cellphone brands, believe it or not...

I don't think people are necessarily malicious or evil. The most convincing theory about it that I heard so far is that people use "being a fan of something" or "being a consumer of a certain brand" to attain a sense of self and to extract some feeling of self-worth that they lack in their real life. That's why whoever is successful in a given moment starts to gain fans at an exponential rate (remember how many Taylor Swift fans popped out of nowhere back in the end of 2014?)...That's also why we continue to see behaviors like people here attacking ANTI or Madonna fans attacking Gaga, because these people think that if they bring down a certain thing they can elevate that other thing that they use to build their own identity, which, in the end, is an attempt to elevate themselves. And again, it happens everywhere else (PS users celebrate every time news of how much more PS4s are being sold over XBOnes come out). And it's a tough thing to make people realize how stupid they're being...

Idk, my theory is that, with the internet, everything became a competition...like, we all want to measure up to the people that surround us - that's a natural impulse -, and most people on the internet show only the best side of their lives - which lead people to believe they're in a much better place then they actually are -, and the result is that, in this effort to be as good as the next person, people need more and more external elements to form the "self" that will get them the likes and followers they need to feel validated...and that's where being a fan of the successful girl, or buying the iphone because it's a symbol of status, or having a PS4 because it sells better and has slightly better graphics, or being a fan this team because it has won more championships, etc., come in...

What I'm trying to say is that as disgusting as the behavior in itself is, I can't help thinking that there's a human being behind it and someone who clearly isn't in a great place, otherwise they wouldn't be doing this...which breaks my heart, instead of making me angry...

I think maturity is really the only thing that can change it in people and, unfortunately it's not coming soon and it's coming for everybody...I used to be like that too and eventually I saw through my own BS, but some people will never get over it - and, in a way, I actually feel sorry for them, bc I live much better than I used to...

ATTENTION: (bad) jokes and sarcasm are still a thing, so don't take everything I say literally. Thank you.

Archived