đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Do you consider Lady Gaga to be the greatest pop act of all time?

ReidOne

Featured Posts

ReidOne
Just now, AlexanderLevi2 said:

Then what is pop music?

See my prior response to Bebe, sis! Haha! :D <3 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PunkTheFunk
6 minutes ago, ReidOne said:

Oh, friend... I do!!! Look up the greats... they became "pop acts" BECAUSE of their singing ability! This is what it's all about! 

I disagree. Case in point: Selena Gomez. I stan for her so hard but the girl can barely hold a note :giveup:

EDIT: I just realized you said "greats". :rip: Selegend is a pop act but definitely not one of the greats.

ReidOne
Just now, PunkTheFunk said:

I disagree. Case in point: Selena Gomez. I stan for her so hard but the girl can barely hold a note :giveup:

"The greats" and "Selena Gomez" do not belong in the same galaxy, my love. 

PunkTheFunk
Just now, ReidOne said:

"The greats" and "Selena Gomez" do not belong in the same galaxy, my love. 

Girl yaaaas see my edit!

ReidOne

Point is: it's easy to become a "pop act" thanks to savvy marketing and a sexy 20-something body. It's hard to become a "pop act" thanks to your voice and talent alone. And that's what Lady Gaga has done. She's hot AF but she ain't no Kendall Jenner or Gigi Hadid. And she doesn't want to be. 

RainingOnMe
44 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

No, not yet.

This. I'm sure she will have her most iconic moment in her life sometime, but not yet - although she is amazing and outdoes almost everyone on the radio today.

Just now, ReidOne said:

Oh, friend... I do!!! Look up the greats... they became "pop acts" BECAUSE of their singing ability! This is what it's all about! 

Look at the "Great" female pop stars.

Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears.

We can even look at contemporary pop acts that are huge right now.

Katy Perry, Taylor Swift.

It's clear that within the genre of "Pop" there is more to it than vocal ability. Madonna admits herself that she isn't the best vocalist around, Kylie isn't a show stopping vocal talent, Britney Spears has a recognisable but weak voice. Katy Perry and Taylor Swift are two of the biggest pop stars on the planet, they are not vocal powerhouses by any means.

Pop is marketable, pop is generally sweet and unchallenging. It's generally shallow and mindless. Pop is catchy music and a highly marketable safe image. Pop isn't having a girl throwing up neon paint on you while riding a mechanical bull, pop isn't facial horns and a body adorned with tattoos, pop isn't being able to sing The Sound of Music.

Lady Gaga is one of the greatest talents out there right now and, as I have said, I'm sure she will be remembered as one of the greats. Is she the greatest "pop act" though? Ehh. I think her status as a culturally important figure reaches beyond her title as a "Pop act" and honestly I think it's a disservice to characterise her as the greatest "Pop act".

ReidOne
Just now, Bebe said:

Look at the "Great" female pop stars.

Madonna, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears.

We can even look at contemporary pop acts that are huge right now.

Katy Perry, Taylor Swift.

It's clear that within the genre of "Pop" there is more to it than vocal ability. Madonna admits herself that she isn't the best vocalist around, Kylie isn't a show stopping vocal talent, Britney Spears has a recognisable but weak voice. Katy Perry and Taylor Swift are two of the biggest pop stars on the planet, they are not vocal powerhouses by any means.

Pop is marketable, pop is generally sweet and unchallenging. It's generally shallow and mindless. Pop is catchy music and a highly marketable safe image. Pop isn't having a girl throwing up neon paint on you while riding a mechanical bull, pop isn't facial horns and a body adorned with tattoos, pop isn't being able to sing The Sound of Music.

Lady Gaga is one of the greatest talents out there right now and, as I have said, I'm sure she will be remembered as one of the greats. Is she the greatest "pop act" though? Ehh. I think her status as a culturally important figure reaches beyond her title as a "Pop act" and honestly I think it's a disservice to characterise her as the greatest "Pop act".

Well put, sis!!! Couldn't agree more. In my book, Kylie is #2 to Lady Gaga as the greatest pop divas of all time. 

ReidOne
Just now, ReidOne said:

Well put, sis!!! Couldn't agree more. In my book, Kylie is #2 to Lady Gaga as the greatest pop divas of all time. 

Sorry to quote myself, but I do have to add... Kylie Minogue can SANG live ---- have you ever seen her live in concert?! The woman has command over that mic!!! She may not have Whitney Houston range, but she can absolutely carry her tunes. This is why I love her! No backing track needed. 

Lextyr97

Gaga isn't in my opinion... Yet. She has got it all though. I do agree that she sometimes- SOMETIMES she has average lyrics, but that's pop music for ya. Look at Madonna's lyrics. I really don't think it's anything at all to write home about. I've really dug into Madonna because I felt she had very good lyrics, but after reading and analying her songs, it is at about the same level as Gaga.

That said, Madonna is crazy good at reinvention which is also something Gaga is good at, but we're talking 4 albums vs 13. As it stands, until Gaga releases at least 2 or 3 more pop albums, I can't say for sure. In my opinion, Gaga is definitely on the road to be the best. She has so much talent. I know she has it in her to be the best. After all, Gaga does have the most talent I've seen out of every pop star out there. If anyone can be the best, I think it's her. She makes you feel her music and her art because she's so immensily passionate about it, something I think no other pop artist has on her.

Sorry if some of this makes no sense. I'm pretty drunk right now ?

Andres Miller
40 minutes ago, Nino said:

The queen of pop and the king of pop EARNED their titles. Maybe 20 years from now if GaGa gets back to the TFM level and doesn't decline or lose her voice or stop dancing we can talk.

Michael Jackson is the only one that is widely known as "The King of Pop". No female has taken "The Queen of Pop" title in regards to mass recognition. 

ReidOne

To try and restore some balance in this thread, I will add... I think that Madonna's original "American Life" video is one of the greatest pop music videos ever made... It's more relevant today than it was 13 years ago! Just watch... She was so far ahead of her time, it's not even funny. But Gaga is the ONLY one poised to carry her baton. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAw3f5VXA8

Archived