opinion

Ariana "to take time" with new record

Serendipity

Featured Posts

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
President Biden

It's not too late to edit those male vocals off of Focus and re-add the new version in time for album release :awesome: 

how bout giving us a version were Beyoncé songs the chorus instead.

I got drunk

I am sure she wasn't happy with Focus. 

Her Label chooses her Singles, wanted the Zedd Collab. If Ariana did My Everything how she'd like it, It would've been a different album. I am sure she now has more creative control, since the Label was wrong.

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

holy scheisse

The song juts came out though???

If Gaga had given up like this, she would've never gotten anywhere with The FAme

Just Dance didnt take off until 8 months into promotion/after release

damn, this world of instant gratification

how bout giving us a version were Beyoncé songs the chorus instead.

Stop. I see your comment about that on every Focus related topic. Its tiring.

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

President Biden

Stop. I see your comment about that on every Focus related topic. Its tiring.

just saying it would absolutely slay. I love the release version (even if it flips I have a tendency to like good flop music) but a Bey version would just slay

I got drunk

StrawberryBlond

Wow, she and her team really expected nothing less than the top spot this era, didn't they? She looks like she'll debut in the top 5 - is that not enough to launch an era on? It's dangerous when a label begins to believe that their artist is invincible and that anything less than #1 for the lead single will not suffice. It can lead to the label losing all faith in their artist and their career never being the same afterwards. You can tell her label are worrying: "Should we have taken the risk of having her make a lead single without a feature?" Because like it or not, the evidence is there - Ariana cannot get hits without someone else being part of her song. She can't even scrape the top ten. So, to have her lead be completely solo was a big risk that isn't paying off the way it was hoped. I don't think she'll have an ANTI situation but this could be the start of one of those albums that works out differently from the original intention.

If Gaga had given up like this, she would've never gotten anywhere with The FAme

Too right. I remember a time when debuting at #1 on Billboard was considered a big deal that doesn't happen very often and therefore, isn't to be expected or planned for. I think the inclusion of streaming towards charting has changed a lot of this concept, however. Now you can get to #1 even if you don't have the biggest sales, as long as people are listening to/watching your song online. So, make a controversial and/or risque video and watch those hits roll in, basically. In many countries, if you don't debut at #1, the single doesn't stand a chance after that, but America isn't like that. Songs have to work their way to the top more often than not. Indeed, the music industry is all about instant gratification now and they don't want slow burning singles. Ironically, it's the slow burners that usually go on to become some of the most remembered, best-loved hits years later and the instant grat ones die a sudden death.

The difference is that focus is actually a very bad song. The reaction to it has been very negative too. Why push trash? Maybe she will come out with a better single in January.

DiscoHeaven23

Underperforming lead singles are not a good thing for major artists. There are only a few rare cases where artists have come back from that. To most artists "Focus" may not be underperforming, but when you go from selling 438,00 singles in the first week to around 100,000 singles. That's a bad sign. Is it the diva behavior, the donut licking, or the annoying male voice in "Focus" that has caused this? Prob all three. I was planning on buying her song cuz even though i don't like her behavior, i like her music, but when I heard it, I didn't even want to listen to it again. 

Off the top of my head for artists who have recovered, I can think of.. 

Gwen Stefani's Love.Angel.Music.Baby. "What You Waiting For" only peaked at #47. But "Rich Girl" and "Hollaback Girl" came in and both peaked in the Top 10.

Britney Spears' In the Zone, "Me Against the Music" only peaked at #35. But "Toxic" came in and peaked at #9 and "Everytime" peaked at #15.

Christina Aguilera's Stripped, "Dirrty" only peaked at #48, but "Beautiful" came in and peaked at #2. 

holy scheisse

The difference is that focus is actually a very bad song. The reaction to it has been very negative too. Why push trash? Maybe she will come out with a better single in January.

perhaps its a grower though. some songs i've hated until hearing like 20 times on the radio lol

justice for marry the night and guy 

Whispering

In other words...this debut is a non-event. It isn't the start that her label wanted, so they are pulling the plug and redoing and going to wait awhile. 

They came back with a mediocre copy of the last debut and it was too soon. Bad moves and now they are having to pull back.

LoveandMagic

Well, if she isn't happy with it, she should work on it some more until she is satisfied. That's what I'm hoping the reasoning is anyway. I hate for artists to rush release an album just to get a number one (without heavy competition). It should be about the quality of the music and the artists satisfaction with what they made. 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

JusKeepBreathin

I really think record companies have only to blame themselves for bad records. Where is Clive Davis when you need him? He would have turned Ariana into a huge star.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Archived