💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Nicki Minaj shares "Why Grammys are as white as you think" article

Yanko

Featured Posts

I never knew that. And people have the nerve to say it's harder for her because she is white :smh:

Even if you stan for Iggy, surely you don't think it is right that she is the FIRST EVER RAPPER to be nominated in both those categories.

To be fair I think it's the rap community that makes it rough on Iggy, everyone's always coming for her for one thing or another no matter what; typically it's all race related too. 

The main point I agree with in regards to the article is the sad fact that MBDTF didn't get the credit it deserved, I don't see why they went hard on Bon Iver either considering his S/T was much stronger than PF; I can get behind the fun. critique to an extent though in comparison to Frank's album.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pinkprint will outsell new classic tho :smh: and her real smashes are coming :sis: singles so far are probably the weakest on the album l but lets not turn this into another messy thread 

We'll see. It's doubtful is you take into account Iggy's track sales and streaming.

pS: Most of Nicki's singles success has been as the rap mustard on somebody else's sandwich too. Super Bass and a couple Red One songs are virtually the only exceptions.

Whispering

This is true. Calling it the "black" category would be more honest.

But it helps blacks win more awards. Pop category is more competitive. Shoving Adele into pop means white dance-pop gets shut out while Chris Brown wins an award.

21 had four singles that went to the top of the pop charts. That's why it qualified as a Pop album and why a couple of those singles were nominated in a Pop category.

We'll see. It's doubtful is you take into account Iggy's track sales and streaming.

new classic isnt even gold :spin:

21 had four singles that went to the top of the pop charts. That's why it qualified as a Pop album and why a couple of those singles were nominated in a Pop category.

Plenty of black R&B/soul smashes have topped the pop charts too, but they still get nommed in "black" categories.

Bordeciel

Nicki Minaj made one one the worst performance EVER at grammies 2012. So stop this asap and began to make good album.

And this is why Beyoncé has 17 grammies with her career... Beyoncé... Hm.

RAMROD

This

yes you do, if you're not popular chances are that you're not even getting a nomination and also non-popular artists don't get the Grammys them ratings they want so bad, no matter how good they are :madge:

yes I am pressed about Grammys only nominating popular artists but whatever :madge:

That is not true.

Grammy doesn't cater for that, but quality of an album most of the time.

These people won their Grammys when they were nobodies.

Nobody or very little number of people ever heard of them until they win these gramaphones.

Norah Jones for her first album, Come Away With Me.

Won Best New Artist, Album of The Year, Best Pop Vocal Album , Record of The Year, Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

Record-breaker:%20Norah%20Jones%20strugg

Adele for her debut album, 19.

Won Best New Artist, and Best Pop Female Vocal Performance

Adele-Grammys-2009.jpg

Esperanza Spalding for her 3rd album, won Best New Artist.

231866-esperanza-spalding-2011.jpg?itok=

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

SlayedForTheGod

Career-wise Nicki is well ahead but New Classic era > Pinkprint era.

Lead single relies on Sir Mixalot and is all about her booty (but not in an empowering way like ABTB), then her latest song with Drake and Wayne is so generic yet not catchy. How can she claim that's better than Fancy or Black Widow?

i mean we could easily just compare each others first albums to see who is more successful. And Nicki is well known to not do "eras". she doesnt release singles to feed us pop fans, I like The New Classic but im 100% positive The Pink Print will be a more critical and commercial success.

Fewer than 20 percent of Album of the Year awards have gone to black artists

Since the very first ceremony in 1959, only 10 of the 56 awards handed out for Album of the Year have gone black artists (and three of the 10 went to Stevie Wonder), a number that woefully under-represents the influence black artists have had on the music industry. While it might seem logical to assume that the rate would at least be increasing, the last of those was in 2008, for Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters.

So blacks are over-represented in AOTY wins relative to US population.

Even more when you subtract the Grammies going to whites outside the US, from the Beatles to Adele.

Whispering

Plenty of black R&B/soul smashes have topped the pop charts too, but they still get nommed in "black" categories.

Like Bruno (2x), Pharrell and Legend...who were all nominated for Best Solo Performance in the last four years?

Or Bruno, Neyo, Seal (8x), John Legend (2x), Stevie Wonder (2x), Craig David, Brian McNight (3x), Babyface, Maxwell (2x) Michael Jackson (3x), Prince (2x), Luther Vandross, Aaron Neville (2x), James Ingram who were nominated in the Best Male Pop Vocal category from 1990 - 2011.

These black artists were nominated in Pop categories with their soulful music, just like Adele was with her soulful music.

BTW, it is GRAMMYS.

aaronyoji

Does music like Anaconda really deserve Grammys though? I think her music can be fun and all, but does it really present something substantial enough to be considered the best of 2014? I do agree however, that the Grammys do sometimes snub black artists, and I think it's good that Nicki is adding to that conversation. 

this is where this article kinda leaves me baffled: all the points they make are correct, but the examples they use dont align. 

for example, in 2012 its no surprise nicki minaj lost to bon iver because bon iver makes actual music. i mean, lil wayne lost to rock legend robert plant REALLY??? no ****, if theres anything lil wayne deserves less its critical acclaim for his music, because its legit terrible. no ifs ands or buts. 

however the point they make about white artists getting special treatment for making (or imitating) the same music is spot on. 

Like Bruno (2x), Pharrell and Legend...who were all nominated for Best Solo Performance in the last four years?

Or Bruno, Neyo, Seal (8x), John Legend (2x), Stevie Wonder (2x), Craig David, Brian McNight (3x), Babyface, Maxwell (2x) Michael Jackson (3x), Prince (2x), Luther Vandross, Aaron Neville (2x), James Ingram who were nominated in the Best Male Pop Vocal category from 1990 - 2011.

These black artists were nominated in Pop categories with their soulful music, just like Adele was with her soulful music.

BTW, it is GRAMMYS.

except adele makes a watered down white skinned version of soul music and WINS the grammy at the end of the night. thats the problem. 

So blacks are over-represented in AOTY wins relative to US population.

Even more when you subtract the Grammies going to whites outside the US, from the Beatles to Adele.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Album_of_the_Year

In 42 years from 1973-2014. I count 14 Grammies for non-Americans (10 British, 3 Canadian, 1 French).

If US blacks won 10 over that period, that leaves only 18 for US whites. Blacks won 35% of American Grammies. 

Whispering

except adele makes a watered down white skinned version of soul music and WINS the grammy at the end of the night. thats the problem. 

Got to disagree on that one, but we all have our opinions! :)

Archived