band

HIM Memoriam 1991-2017 / Ville Valo

lego

Fav HIM albums  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite HIM album?

• Greatest Love Songs Vol. 666 (1997)
    • Razorblade Romance (1999)
    • Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights (2001)
    • Love Metal (2003)
    • Dark Light (2005)
    • Venus Doom (2007)
    • Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice (2010)
    • Tears On Tape (2013)

Featured Posts

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17 August 2016 at 4:54 PM, YourSweet666 said:

@PennyroyalTea Linde was guest on radiorock!

here's short video

http://www.radiorock.fi/#!/post/57b3fea38344a80300a51b2b

full interview on Saturday

please, when you have time, if you could translate❀ 

Second video

http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2712662

FreePalestine

Sister

I have read around that this seems like the closest song on the new Daniel Lioneye Vol. III to a HIM song. What do you all think? Do you like it?

I like this song and these two best:

This last one is my favorite though

But I prefer HIM :classy:

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

I like Dancing With The Dead, some riffs on the album do remind of HIM, but...HIM is HIM:cryga:

this is suppose to be whole interview

@PennyroyalTea 

FreePalestine

poison girl

Those three songs are great, I especially like the first one (needed to listen to it more than once). And yes the riff reminds me of HIM too, it's similar to the one in This fortress of tears I think. Really good work I must say.

It is the night of the witch tonight and the vengeance is hers for as long as she stands by Him ♡

Nirvana

Hi, here again with better internet connection :) Countryside always does that it lags so much it's painful to use. Is it ok that I translate "the most important parts" aka the ones where he talks about Ville and HIM? :sis: It's quite long interview, 45 mins, but I'll do my best :)

That last instagram post inspired me to think that Ville should maybe do at some point again a solo project, maybe a cover album. I'd love it, there's so many songs where his voice would fit perfectly! But only in case that it would not make the wait for new HIM album longer....

@PennyroyalTea yes it's fine if you do only those parts!:wub: I agree about solo album and I thought  he's working on something like that already, let's see... 

FreePalestine

Nirvana

Here's the interview, I left out a lot but here's the stuff involving most of all HIM. Forgive if there's some typos :D

How different is it to do solo work than with HIM?
-the big majority of the ideas come from Ville and then we arrange them, but now the ideas come from me. But, familiar guys in the band, nothing that different when working with them.
-About a few hundred hours sitting in the same bus, you'll most likely get to know people throughout, even their smell. was it easy to take a leaders role in the band?
-not thinking I've taking any role. I'm not telling anyone what to do precisely, even though the songs do come from me *laughter*

Though there is more creative freedom here. Actually it came to mind talking with Ville and Mige after first album that maybe we should do something there, and they were all for it but not for HIM's album *laughter*

-You've said in an interview that guitar has always been the number one instrument for you. Why?
-I don't know, it was the strings, the shape and the sound that came from it. Some sort of obsession I guess? I got my first guitar when I was 10 years old as a christmas present. I learned to play Kiss' Hell's on fire bassline with my thumb!

What were your first band experiences you've had?
-At elemantary school, the band was first Terapia, then Kemoterapia and Aurora... Ville was actually playing drums for a while. It was basically jamming. The first gigs were at school... I have a memory, one of our songs that we were performing was called "Ilmonen is sticking a **** in the ass", that Ilmonen being the Principal of our school. It was a bit scandalous for us... *laughter*

Have you ever thought about having a "real job"?
-Well I've been on real job, in my father's LVI factory as a drawer. It was difficult having a job, training with HIM and then gigs at weekends.
When did you realise this is it, no more doing daytime jobs?
-it was when Join Me went nro 1 in Germany. It was unbelievable.
What people thought about your first gigs with HIM, did they understand it or stare watching?
-I have to admit they were not technically as well put together as now. Mige was responsible of technical issues, and the sound was going off and on quite a lot. It was after the gigs when people came to say "you guys have a great vibe but why we could not make sense of your songs?" But maybe at that point of our career, it was for the best *laughs*.
The first gigs started to show anyway that there is interest. There was a point when we were all the time in a bubble of touring. We all had some sort of burnout feelings, but not as much as Ville who had the most biggest burden with all the interviews and other stuff there as well.It was no wonder he was so finished back then.
Was Germany the first country which showed the interest?
-Yeah, when we stated our gigs were about 100-200 people attending and when Razorblade came, we were suddenly in huge halls playing. I remember falling on first of our biggest gigs on the floor three times, I even broke a guitar string.
-You were so young when you started and not so experienced when performing? Did it cause you problems?
-No, not that much though on stage performing. The mistakes we made were backstage mostly with contracts and legal stuff. But Seppo came just in time to save us, he looked at contract at a deal I considered, and he was like "NO WAY". He is still a big help for us, I still dont understand anything about those.

-How far is the future with Him planned?
-We don't have much planned for the future. We are going to meet in two weeks to check how we all are doing. But I had a great feeling of our tours together so I'm looking at the future.
How far you usually plan things, with your own band or with HIM? Or is it going with the flow?
-Well with HIM when we start, we plan our tours in beforehand very well and schedules are clear.
How do you feel about Ville being the front man and getting most of the attention?
-Well I'm relieved cos I'm so introvert myself. For me, being here in this interview is a lot *laughs*. I'm really happy that Ville is the frontman.
-Do people come to talk to you?
-Well, yes but they are usually foreigners asking for a pic and autograph. But rarely finns, they are so grumpy...
-Finns point at finger and whisper a bit..
-Yeah.

-How you feel about security and the threat of terrorism at your gigs?
-We have very good security and there have been only a few situations when there's been someone coming on stage. You cannot start to live in fear because of terrorism, anything can happen any day. We have played at the same place where the Eagles of Death Metal and yes it was shocking. But you cannot let that fear win.

-Are there places where you like to visit and those where you would not want to visit anymore at all?
-It's always nice to see new places, but after the gig in China, I thought I would not want to visit anymore. And that was because we were not allowed to play certain songs, there was a threat of going out of electricity in the middle of a gig, the pollution is so bad you cannot see the sun...And I have bad asthma, I couldn't breathe there! That's why I would not rather visit anymore.

-I don't really miss the guys that much when we are not in touch, I'm actually quite a loner, I live at the countryside with my three cats and my dog. I like being alone.

-Playing and creating music is to me more a way to cope with all the **** in life. Some songs in my new album are inspired by that. When you're happy, you don't need to do anything.

-Did you have a group with whom you were playing at school?
-When I went to upper comprehensive school it was a music class, which Ville was also going. That's where all started, from the 7th class. We were walking round sawdust track during physical education classes, because neither of us had skates. We were in football also always class B. We walking around that sawdust track and talking about music. And there was also a training place where we could play and we did that even at breaks at school..

-So you were the ones that skipped everything expect music?
-Pretty much that.

-How much easier it is to play and work with people who you've known your whole life?
-It for sure is easier.
-What is more important- the skills to play damn well or that you fit in very well in the group?
-Well, both are important but wrong side of chemistry is bad in this band.
-Have you ever had a feeling during all these years like "Damn, cannot take all of this anymore, I'll leave the band and do something else"?
-Well, it has been on my mind a couple of moments but it does come most likely to everyone in every single job. That's just life.
-Has that thought been on the band?
-We've had that sort of discussions, expecially in the beginning, but not that much anymore. Yes we've had fights, awful things have came from our mouths when fighting but it's so horrible we don't want to go there anymore.
-What is the glue that keeps you together?
-I don't know! Some sort of strange magic we have. I can sense it when we go to a same room and start playing.

-Now Daniel Lioneye is working because Him is on pause atm. How much you have things scheduled?
-Well, we ended up keeping a break this year from HIM, and I thought I have to start this music project when there's time finally for that.
-When do you think we'll get fourth album by your band, is it when HIM is next time on a break?
-Well we'll see about that. We don't have stuff that much planned.
-It feels like there's good feeling in both bands. Does the future seem bright for you guys?
-Yes, there is absolutely good spirit.

Swan Heart

:heart:

They say it's the last song. They don't know us, you see. It's only the last song if we let it be.

Nirvana
5 minutes ago, YourSweet666 said:

@PennyroyalTea brilliant:applause: thank you! :hug:

They're meeting in 2 weeks yes!:giveup:

You're welcome! :hug:

Yes that's great, we'll see what they are planning then and what ideas Ville has for the future! :excited2:

Archived