💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

How do you feel about this mission statement from july?

aaronyoji

Featured Posts

Willy Wonka

i get so frazzled cuz i feel like she was ready to execute it, like i really didnt think these ideas would be that hard to communicate, i mean for ****s sake i made a bunch of art pieces that where centered around ARTPOP and they where great, the photoshoot done by inez and vinoodh i feel really showcased a fresh theme, whites, sophistication, deconstruction, technology becomes nature, etc. but the music itself and as an era, it just feels like gaga is going in this constant circle of things shes done before. 

i understand ARTPOP as an album sort of serving as the last chapter to the first part of her career, you see that in the album, and you see all these stems of her past work/ideas, and i think when she starts over and starts the new chapter in her life we will see a lot of growth, BUT i thought thats what born this way was. it was an iconoclastic amped up rendition of what shes known to do but kickstarted with newer ideas. i thought that was the last chapter, and i was ready for ARTPOP to be the new beginning, unfortunately it wasnt that. 

EXACTLY.

That promo photoshoot was everything that this era was supposed to be. The scaled back Gaga. Her on the computer chair, her with the prosthetic arm, her with the clear visor, her with the wigs... It was supposed to be this simplistic, clear vision. Even the Applause music video was in line with that (I mean, compare it to MTN). I don't know what happened that caused everything to fall apart.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ryhanna

I had a great post and I hit the back button :'(

essentially, it was all style above substance again. That will constantly be her downfall. She can have all the greatest ideas in the world, but if she can't execute them, they're useless.

I agree. 

The thing is, Gaga had great ideas - this whole statement was full of wonderful, innovative ideas that would have been absolutely incredible if they'd happened. Yet, for some reason, she wasn't able to execute them. 

Stop :sharon: I remember I had to read that like 10 times to take it all in I was so excited.

It was/is anything

The whole era was what some would call a mess and what others would call ARTPOP.

aaronyoji

EXACTLY.

That promo photoshoot was everything that this era was supposed to be. The scaled back Gaga. Her on the computer chair, her with the prosthetic arm, her with the clear visor, her with the wigs... It was supposed to be this simplistic, clear vision. Even the Applause music video was in line with that (I mean, compare it to MTN). I don't know what happened that caused everything to fall apart.

im actually making a vision board of ARTPOP moments/other people's work that i feel represents that style that ARTPOP epitomized in that film. 

Emvee

I don't see how you can argue she didn't fulfill that statement tbh.

It basically says she approached each song in a different manner with different intents and media. Saying that ARTPOP is random doesn't exactly discredit it.

Each song IS technically a blueprint. A framework for further development into something greater.

Just because she used flowery language, doesn't mean she's being pretentious.

The rest of the press release may be overambitious, but this specific snippet that you called out is not. She's basically describing what ARTPOP ended up being. A collection of songs that convey her creative process.

Computer

EXACTLY.

Troy Carter
💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

DeleteMyAccount

It all makes perfect sense to me.  It isn't explicitly shown either.  It's mainly the backstory of why Gaga choose to run down the ARTPOP path.  It's lyrical and poetic.  Something that I or Gaga shouldn't expect everyone to understand.  Yes, I guess it can be a bit pretentious, yet ARTPOP has been everything that the mission statement said.  Even through her many interviews I can understand that the music was driven from experiencing certain types of emotion and events.  That's what I believe it's about.  

hughdancy

i thought of that earlier the other day, i feel like, the music, the era concept, and the artrave are all different from each other and dont really hold up thematically. like, in 2012 ARTPOP was all like rave, princess high, party, closer to what the artrave is, partynauseous, stache, etc. then it was forecasted to look really sophisticated and modern, like the inez and vinoodh photoshoot, the press release, her applause video, etc. then there's the music which itself mirrors this ooble gobble of randomness. 

I agree :)

Gohan

This had me super hyped for ARTPOP. I love what we got (although I'm bitter about what we DIDN'T get) but I feel like this is a completely different ARTPOP.

I feel like we've been told about three ARTPOPs; this one, which Gaga really explored during the Applause era with all her talk about art and performance etc, the 2012 ARTPOP, which seems like it was completely different, and then the ARTPOP we ACTUALLY got which is actually just a fun pop genre-trip album.

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit

While Fame, The Fame Monster and especially Born This Way lived up to their concepts, ARTPOP failed to do so. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

aaronyoji

I don't see how you can argue she didn't fulfill that statement tbh.

It basically says she approached each song in a different manner with different intents and media. Saying that ARTPOP is random doesn't exactly discredit it.

Each song IS technically a blueprint. A framework for further development into something greater.

Just because she used flowery language, doesn't mean she's being pretentious.

The rest of the press release may be overambitious, but this specific snippet that you called out is not. She's basically describing what ARTPOP ended up being. A collection of songs that convey her creative process.

can you give specific examples?

It all makes perfect sense to me.  It isn't explicitly shown either.  It's mainly the backstory of why Gaga choose to run down the ARTPOP path.  It's lyrical and poetic.  Something that I or Gaga shouldn't expect everyone to understand.  Yes, I guess it can be a bit pretentious, yet ARTPOP has been everything that the mission statement said.  Even through her many interviews I can understand that the music was driven from experiencing certain types of emotion and events.  That's what I believe it's about.  

but isnt that what music and art already is?? thats so vague imo. thats like saying "ARTPOP ventures into the future of the industry with forte, as i create a strings of notes that convey a lyric, a thought if you will" 

LittleBoot

Sometime last fall, she described ARTPOP as being a "guilty pleasure" album, and I think that described it better than the lofty manifestos earlier on.

It's hard to make a fair assessment, because the management changed hands and it sounds like a lot of upheaval went down after the original mission statement was written, and I think that certainly had an effect on how things were executed.

Archived