Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
traditional art

Venus painting, everybody hates it

Moebius

Featured Posts

SKANK

If you sketch Lady Gaga and people think it is a man, you are doing something right.

@ZacharyMark is a very talented artist on this forum, check out his intsagram for some great stippling work. You might get some inspiration and tips from him.

youandi

As cliche as practice makes perfect sounds, someone I knew does a lot of portrait drawings and they used to be very awful, and ashamedly I used to laugh about it, but they kept going and going and now they're skills are pretty good so keep at it! You're already doing much better than I or many others could do! 

DeleteMyAccount
10 minutes ago, SKANK said:

If you sketch Lady Gaga and people think it is a man, you are doing something right.

@ZacharyMark is a very talented artist on this forum, check out his intsagram for some great stippling work. You might get some inspiration and tips from him.

93bd911165fc3f2acf4737b9fbbe0964.jpg

Thank you!

OT: Don't give up on making art. You'll discover that art is always a learning process. Experiment and have fun. :firega:

Moebius
2 hours ago, gagaphrodisy said:

If you "don't even care anymore", then why did you post it? Your attitude seems terrible. Art is all about practice, and this is good practice to do. Keep at it!

I wanted to post it here after making it, that was my intention. But first I showed it to some friends, and got all these negative comments, they got to me and I just lost all my enthusiasm. I'm not an artist (even though recent comments here made me think about it), and people comparing me to my artist friends who are just naturally gifted really made me angry and sad at the same time. So I just posted it here with the intention to just do it, that's why you made it, a little tribute to Gaga. Thanks for the encouragement :)

1 hour ago, Killa said:

i thought making her manly was on on purpose

:omg:

girl you gotta be smarter with these things, an error can turn into a special trait.

And welp, EpioneGa isn't that different from the shape you gave ha.

Keep practising

The shadeee :icega: 

25 minutes ago, Sinsemilla said:

If you'd like to know why people tell you she "looks like a dude", it's because the neck is too thick and the eyes are too close together. :) But you have a good feel for copying shapes in general, the scorpion and her lips look nice. Dayman's advice is really good. Practice doing some less detailed sketches of faces so you can get a feel for proportions. You pay good attention to detail but need to practice getting accurate proportions. Don't give up, you'll improve a lot as long as you keep practicing 

Never paid attention to the neck :oprah: now that i see it it really does affect it :madge: 

47 minutes ago, Dayman said:

You actually have the potential to make some really great work.

I'm not gonna bs you here though. It's definitely not the greatest drawing ever. But the only way to get better is to keep drawing. I always hear people saying to me "Oh you're just naturally so talented at drawing." and that's not the case at all! I'm only good at art because I draw every single day and have been drawing every single day since I was probably about 4. Keep at it and you'll be a killer artist - because even though it's not a perfect drawing you have some good work in it.

The 2 problems I see with this are the proportions and the hair.

The hair looks scratchy and poofy. You want to keep continuous lines for strands, think of how real hair flows, try and keep that fluidity. The yellow part on the left towards the bottom has that fluidity somewhat. But the right side of the hair doesn't.

As for the proportions the best thing I can suggest is using basic shapes as a guide and look for continuous lines in your reference. Here's one example of what I mean.

quick_face_tutorial_by_exemi.jpg

If you keep on giving at it and practicing in a years time alone you can do some really amazing work.

Also, don't be afraid to trace. Tracing pictures really helps you learn believe it or not. Following those contours and lines exactly will help give you a better idea of how to to do it yourself when you start from scratch.

Please keep going, you have a good foundation to start from, but you won't get any better unless you keep on trying and practicing! Use tutorials online and Youtube videos too! I make and sell my artwork for a living and even I still watch videos and look up tutorials to continue to learn! :)

Thanks for the support and advice :kara: This post actually made me think about improving my art skills. It's always been just a hobby, but heck if I'm making something it should at least be good :firega:This is the first in a long while since I made a portrait, and the first one to be painted. I'll work on my proportions, doing regular sketches should do the trick :D 

And thank you to everybody else, your comments are very appreciated considering they're the most positive I got from anyone :icega: ♥ 

The Most Popular Girls in School megarate is cancelled!

Pablo

Why make a title like that? :oprah:

I mean I enjoyed looking at it but there are a lot of facial mistakes, her eye shape is completely different from what you drew and the neck, etc.... It's just simple fan art stuff, you don't need to put yourself down. I don't think anyone was going to expect a da Vinci level portrait. You are basically just asking for positive comments with the thread title.

Don't visit my profile

Archived