💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Forbes: Is Cheek to Cheek anything more than a stunt?

MonsterMum

Featured Posts

MonsterMum
In the fall of 2014, it would seem, another stunt might have the possibility of pushing Jazz into the mainstream againâ€â€at least, it would, if it didn’t feel so much like a stunt: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett have made an album of Jazz standards entitled Cheek to Cheek.

The Jazz trumpet player Nicholas Peyton, one of the few higher-profile spokesmen for the medium, has a withering reply:

“The album has the nerve to be called Cheek to Cheek. How apropos for two people making an *ss out of themselves caricaturizing [sic] black music. All due respect to Bennett, but he’s never been a great. He was just lucky enough to outlive all the true greats of his era.â€

I’ve given Cheek to Cheek several listens nowâ€â€as many as I could force-feed myself. I have a complicated answer to that question.

As the album plows on, the returns become more and more diminishing. Harmonies grate on each other because Gaga is too loud or Bennett is too pitchy, or often enough, both.

Love duets begin to feel stranger, more uncomfortable, when you consider the age disparities of these two performers, clearly evident in the timbre of their voices: much of this album feels like watching an ugly-but-rich man trying to pick up a beautiful-but-money-obsessed eighteen year old at a house-party: off-putting, vulgar, grimace-inducing.

No, what makes this album feel like a stunt is the very mix of the materialâ€â€the way it was engineered and the way it was mastered.

Just a few parts from this "review" or blog whatever you wanna call it.

I feel offended tbh.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmessitte/2014/09/30/is-the-lady-gaga-tony-bennett-album-anything-more-than-a-stunt/

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their "Part 2" to this article gives a more detailed explanation to justify themselves. 

PopReaper

"Anything More Than A Stunt?" Also a #1 album on Billboard's Top 200

tumblr_inline_n4kgm839Zs1qfemna.gif

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

MonsterMum

Their "Part 2" to this article gives a more detailed explanation to justify themselves. 

He seems annoyed that he actually likes the album more then he's willing to admit :manicure: 

Silver Keith

They're quite truthful, though. You're bashing them now, but you'll be praising them when they put Gaga #1 on the Celebrity 100.

Gags, get that controversy and keep up high media presence  :ghostlegend:  :ghostlegend:  :ghostlegend:

PlasticHo

If Beyonce had done the album in place of Gaga they would be praising it. I'm over the Gaga hate. 

What do you find truthful about what they said?

They're quite truthful, though. You're bashing them now, but you'll be praising them when they put Gaga #1 on the Celebrity 100.

djBuffoon

Gags, get that controversy and keep up high media presence  :ghostlegend:  :ghostlegend:  :ghostlegend:

Seriously!!!

Archived