movie

Movies lovers let's discuss the Globes

pedrohemg

Featured Posts

Ziggy
59 minutes ago, LabCoatDude said:

I always follow the awards season so thank you for the thread. :D

Best Film Drama

Very difficult competition this year. It is between The Shape of Water (the one with most nominations), The Post and Three Billboards. The Shape of Water might win because of its romance. The Post can win because it is about journalism and the voters are journalists. Three Billboards might also win because many of the voters are said to have loved it and it also had many nominations. Personal choice: The Post

Best Director

Between Guillermo Del Toro and Christopher Nolan. I didn't like Dunkirk that much, but Nolan still has a ton of fans. Personal choice: Guillermo Del Toro

Best Drama Actress

Between Frances McDormand, Meryl Streep, and Sally Hawkins. I am personally rooting for McDormand since she still doesn't have a Globe. Streep might still win to have another opportunity for a massive speech. Personal choice: Frances McDormand

Best Drama Actor

Between Gary Oldman and Timotheé Chalamet. Oldman might have some bad reputation for the HFPA. Chalamet is the next big superstar with his subtle acting. But politics and personal matters aside, Oldman gave the showiest and biggest performance. Personal choice: Gary Oldman

Best Comedy Film

Most likely to be Lady Bird, but Get Out's hype might catch up. Personal choice: Lady Bird

Best Comedy Actor and Actress

Dave Franco for actor. Saoirse Ronan for actress. Judi Dench might catch up with her camaraderie with HFPA, but I personally prefer Margot Robbie in I, Tonya for her transformative performance. Personal choices: Dave Franco and Margot Robbie

Best Supporting Actor

Christopher Plummer is getting all the hype for replacing Kevin Spacey in his film. But Willem Dafoe is getting all the critics awards, along with Sam Rockwell. Personal choice: Willem Dafoe

Best Supporting Actress

Laurie Metcalf multi-dimensionality in Lady Bird was amazing, but watch out for Allison Janney in I, Tonya. Personal choice: Laurie Metcalf

It was fine, impressive and emotional, but very limited in scope and not groundbreaking to be a Best Picture winner. So yes, it is overrated. Some people only root for it because they love and relate to the book and the film, but haven't watched the other contenders.

It is still a frontrunner but it didn't really perform well in local critics awards. Also, it missed out acting and screenplay nominations. So mostly, it is just praised for its directing and technicality.

I wouldn’t say CMBYN is overrated; it just depends on what you’re looking for from a great movie. Imo the strength of this movie is the acting, editing, and how it uses music to great effect. Is it the absolute “best” of the year? I’d say no, but in certain respects like the ones listed I think it beats out other films.

Personally, I don’t believe in something being “overrated”; it’s fine if you just didn’t like it as much as others. Just be happy that those people did like it. Overrated implies some sort of objective litmus scale for greatness which I think is silly unless we’re referring to technical components. Though even that relies on how well those components came together to create a resonant effect which is still something of a subjective opinion.

pedrohemg

The leaks have started. I already have the torrent of one the nominated movies. PM if you want it.

Bradley
22 hours ago, pedrohemg said:

yes, the Globes are unique. Only 90 members make things unpredictable.

Reveal hidden contents

I still can't believe they chose Gaga over Kristen Dunst. :selena:

I saw Kirsten Dunst's performance in Fargo, it's not that good tbh.

Oriane
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

I saw Kirsten Dunst's performance in Fargo, it's not that good tbh.

This. The evolution of Gaga's acting during Hotel was more interesting. Kirsten's character was not that special, she was pretty much the same during the whole season, the only interesting moment was the end when she became psychotic but her acting was nothing special otherwise.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Archived