Featured Posts

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FRANK1991

the music video alone is off-putting and cringy I can't watch it

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

ItsTommyBitch

I don't' know why people are comparing this to Perfect Illusion... I might be missing something :gum:

That being said...

It’s like a meme: “Listens to Prince once." left me SHOOK :air: 

jdTFYfM.gif

The messy, cheasy AF production aside (its not innovative at all :rip: It just sounds like its trying too hard to be something interesting), I just think the song is really boring. The lyrics are hella cheesy and at times cliched, so there's not much interesting going on there, his vocals are very similar throughout, the structure, which seems loose, actually just feels like its from a lack of intent or focus, not because of a deliberate attempt to deviate from pop structures :gum: It has very little "arc" musically, and even the bridge is a letdown. Just not a good song, and even the "chorus" is kind of a weak melody, though less jarring than the verses.

I could scalp this song all day. I wanted to like this :rip: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

That J

It's dreadful and the only repeat listens I will hear will be in my nightmares.  It's that bad.  I tried.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

ZephyrInTheSky

tumblr_oqrzrrV9Qc1qgfbkmo2_r1_500.gif

JT was found running through the woods, album title now 

"Man Running Through The Woods"

There can be 99 bottoms in the area but all it takes is 1 top to believe in you.

GoldenPonyboy
4 hours ago, Bradley said:

The contradiction between our threads :poot:

Is that a new book by john green ? :derpga:

elijahfan
10 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

It’s literally been one day :ladyhaha:

It took my one listen to love SexyBack :trollga:

Inferno

I really disagree with this. A lot of people felt the same way with SexyBack at first, it was a sort of...wtf moment. But it worked.

Im not a JT fan whatsoever, but I think this song is a grower for sure. Its a little derivative of what I think Miguel was already going for years ago but its interesting nonetheless. Imo.

To me this is just an example of "we are not interested in another white person owning the charts", but its always directed at the wrong people. How Post Malone or any number of the white soundcloud rappers get away with what they do is beyond me, but people feel the need to come for Justin Timberlake? Like okay.

DeleteMyAccount
4 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I really disagree with this. A lot of people felt the same way with SexyBack at first, it was a sort of...wtf moment. But it worked.

Im not a JT fan whatsoever, but I think this song is a grower for sure. Its a little derivative of what I think Miguel was already going for years ago but its interesting nonetheless. Imo.

To me this is just an example of "we are not interested in another white person owning the charts", but its always directed at the wrong people. How Post Malone or any number of the white soundcloud rappers get away with what they do is beyond me, but people feel the need to come for Justin Timberlake? Like okay.

Or it's just not a great song... You don't have to be white/black/brown/etc to own that.

Inferno
2 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Or it's just not a great song... You don't have to be white/black/brown/etc to own that.

In your opinion.

It just seemed like some person probably around our age working at Billboard that probably has some amount of contempt for him ran to write this review and get the negative edge in before everyone could hear it. I think the vast majority of music journalism works that way these days. And since hes another white blockbuster artist, I think hes going to flounder this era. Thats just my theory though. Wasn't saying anything regarding race and his success or lack thereof was like concrete.

DeleteMyAccount
5 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Wasn't saying anything regarding race and his success or lack thereof was like concrete.

"To me this is just an example of "we are not interested in another white person owning the charts",

It's just a pretty extreme theory to have.

And if you want to talk about race you'd know what Justin said about Janet and the extreme pressure she under for not being a man or white.

People adore Justin though. I get that. But just because he's getting negative reviews doesn't mean we should go point out race to be the culprit. 

Inferno
4 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

"To me this is just an example of "we are not interested in another white person owning the charts",

It's just a pretty extreme theory to have.

And if you want to talk about race you'd know what Justin said about Janet and the extreme pressure she under for not being a man or white.

People adore Justin though. I get that. But just because he's getting negative reviews doesn't mean we should go point out race to be the culprit. 

It may be extreme but its an honest observation which I don't think many people will have the balls to say. And just because I am saying it, does not mean I know nothing of the Janet Jackson incident and the ways in which his white male privilege made him exempt from the controversy. I just think its a shallow truth that in this current socio-political climate, your typical blockbuster white pop artist gets more flack for their output than in past years. Which I think is part of the reason why you have people like Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry literally floundering. And personally I think such attitudes have even affected Gagas reception. No one wants to see some white lady dominating music again the way she did with The Fame+Monster. Now of course, in saying this im not omitting the quality of the output either. But its ultimately a really large discussion that might pull away from the thread.

Archived