💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

GoT actor joked about rape, video resurfaces among Hollywood scandal

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

ryanripley
6 minutes ago, lego said:

There are people defending what he said regardless of apology, they seem to think it’s fine to make rape jokes and he doesn’t even need to apologize. That’s a big problem. 

But then generalizations in a tweet is bigger issue that needs to be discussed over and over... how is that normal? 

I’m not saying you’re one of those people, I just happen to quote you. 

rape culture is far worse than generalisation, i agree, i think the focus of this thread was unfortunately shifted :sweat: 

i think people choose what's easier to discuss and debate because it's "easier" to handle :poot: 

i'm most disturbed by the people saying "it's just a joke..." or "it's because of his character", i'm a huge GoT fan and i'm aware of his character's personality and actions but does that mean anyone who plays Hitler is allowed to joke about the Holocaust? :poot: 

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

i'm most disturbed by the people saying "it's just a joke..." or "it's because of his character", i'm a huge GoT fan and i'm aware of his character's personality an actions but does that mean anyone who plays Hitler is allowed to joke about the Holocaust? :poot: 

THANK YOU. 

I wish everyone would think about this. 

FreePalestine

Morphine Prince
13 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

rape culture is far worse than generalisation, i agree, i think the focus of this thread was unfortunately shifted :sweat: 

i think people choose what's easier to discuss and debate because it's "easier" to handle :poot: 

i'm most disturbed by the people saying "it's just a joke..." or "it's because of his character", i'm a huge GoT fan and i'm aware of his character's personality and actions but does that mean anyone who plays Hitler is allowed to joke about the Holocaust? :poot: 

The discussion typically shifts from women to men smh. 

And yeah it’s highly disturbing. 

Morphine Prince

Also it’s very telling how TRIGGERED the men in this thread are over “men are trash,” something you could have easily ignored. 

Now imagine being actually treated like trash or an object, which is what women have gone through since the beginning of humanity. 

Even in societies that have treated women “well” compared to others many sexist aspects still exist. 

DeleteMyAccount

In all honesty, I do feel a bit of sarcasm in this tone of voice. It's obviously not a funny joke, but you can tell he wasn't serious about raping women. I think this is a lot different from a man talking about actually raping women. But again, these are the inside jokes that men like to pass. And it's become normal now.

Also, what's up with the Justice League cast?... First Ben, now this guy...

6 minutes ago, Hellspont said:

Well the justice league cast are just kind of assholes huh lul

Who else in JL is a douche?

1 hour ago, lego said:

Pages upon pages about “men are trash” tweet, but this^^ is acceptable and even funny?! 

Where’s the outrage over this?

Where’s that recent thread about misogyny? 

:oprah:

Because it's also a joke? Lol.

Men are 'trash'. Women are oversensitive. That's how the laws of attraction work.

TimisaMonster

Yup....

Aquaman canceled

Justice League has lost Barman and now Aquaman too has been banished to the tsunami

And of course, the awkward mob mentality to laugh... :ladyhaha:..... :awkney:..... :what:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

ryanripley
2 hours ago, kizurl said:

Because it's also a joke? Lol.

Men are 'trash'. Women are oversensitive. That's how the laws of attraction work.

it’s also called having respect for victims

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

StrawberryBlond

There's a difference between actual rape culture and a sarcastic joke meant in dark humour. Granted, not everyone will find this stuff funny but even if you do, most people (I hope) are laughing for the right reasons. And that is: "Wow, that's tasteless, but in context of the character, it can be funny in a dark way." Don't pretend you've never made a tasteless joke or laughed at one. As long as you're laughing for the right reasons, it's ok. And this is coming from a woman. I know this comes really out of left field but I have laughed at rape jokes. It depends on how you tell it and how good a comedian you are. The man who made this concept funny was the late, great George Carlin. Any comedian that starts off with: "I can prove to you that rape is funny" must be awful, right? But from the very first joke, we see where he's going with this. He was a smart man who put social commentary into his work and by making rape jokes, he was actually explaining the absurdity of rape apologists and how we view rape. He also goes into what's acceptable to say and not to say in today's society (and this show was done years ago and it's still relevant):

He gives a brilliant breakdown of why it's ok to joke about anything if you do it right. Comedians can make a lot of awful things funny as long as they present themselves the right way. I can take a sexist joke from a male comedian provided he presents himself in a self-depracting way, is being sarcastic, uses his joke to make social commentary, etc. The concept of "if you laughed, that must mean you think it's right" is so outdated and simplistic and doesn't take in any of the nuances of humour.

At the end of the day, it's your right not to find it funny or find it offensive. But to say a bit of dark humour spreads rape culture is absurd. How about we go after real rapists who laugh about their actions rather than targeting an innocent actor who just saying something tastless that he immediately regretted. Because it's a huge difference. The poor guy's likely worried his career's going to be in trouble now, hence his grovelling apology, which still wasn't enough for some. We really can't be policing jokes, everyone. It's one of the few things we have left in this awful world right now.

This woman was so out of line for adding in that all cis men are trash. I'm a woman and a feminist and I would never say such things. It just goes to show that SJWs don't want social acceptance and equal rights, they want better rights. Generalising an oppressed group? Awful. Generalising a privileged group? Knock yourself out. And we wonder why society is so nutso right now? And why the far right has grown? And why Trump got into office? Wake up and take a look at the obvious.

19 hours ago, lego said:

Ok WTF is virtue signaling, I have to ask,

so far I have only seen it used by Trump supporters and racists on Twitter, a lot... so what’s up with that? :oprah:

Vodka already put it down really well to you. I'm actually surprised that you didn't know what it was seeing as you're up to date on all the other social jargon. Virtue signalling is when someone does a good deed but does it publicly, wanting admiration from others for their virtuous actions. Doing this makes us wonder if the person is genuinely concerned or if they're just looking for brownie points from SJWs and to present themselves as a nice person (while not mentioning any of their flaws). It's essentially the SJW equivalent of a mating call for attention. Basically, virtue signallers live for making other people feel bad and themselves to feel superior. It's an exercise in narcissism, not genuine concern. And I can assure you it's not just Trump supporters and Twitter racists who use this term. Its become a great term to describe the bleeding heart PC crowd that has been annoying the hell out of most of us for years but we could never put down into a catchphrase. And I say all this as a liberal.

Inb4 Inb4 Inb4 Inb4....

Preemption don't make your arguments right ;) 

For me, I think everything can be joked about, at the same time still condemning the real issue. Making a joke does not say I condone this action you have my permission to do whatever.

It might be a bad joke, but worse still to restrict people from voicing out their opinions. 

Rape culture is not joking about rape, it's about permitting rape to happen to turn a blind eye to rape. Joking about it is none of those.

Archived