Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Cosmopolitan: ARTPOP aged really well.

Talent

Featured Posts

Has it though? It's only been 3 years, Loud is what, almost 10, or is 10 years old? Give it a decade for a proper assessment. Fame Monster would've been a better comparison.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Johnny Wayne
1 hour ago, Craig Barnes said:

Honestly, in 2013/14 I only liked the singles - Applause, Do What You Want and G.U.Y:selena: I began to appreciate the album more in 2015 and last year I loved all of the album, except for ARTPOP title track. That is still boring as hell!

REPENT

giphy.gif

I'm the b*tch with the sauce, apparently

Anveeroy
1 hour ago, bumblebee said:

I have to disagree. I know I have a big storm coming and therefore, let me say that there a couple of songs off the album which have become my all-time Gaga favourites.

HOWEVER

As a record, as an album that is not supposed to be just a random collection of songs but rather, as Gaga herself stated in BBC Radio 1 show, "a whole piece of music that is meant to be heard in its entirety" ARTPOP is a very flawed effort that lacks cohesiveness of her previous LPs. 

The record has Do What U Want, MANiCURE, Dope, Gypse, Applause which are really old-school tracks with evident influences from the music of the past. Remember how everybody said that Gaga was going so 80s when Born This Way (the album) was released? And that there was the 70s glam on The Fame? Well, these 5 tracks of ARTPOP are clearly resembling her traditional manner of composing and writing, when she doesn't hide the fact that she is musically very defined by her initial sonical inspirations.   

But then there are all the other tracks where it seems like she wanted to try to be pushy and original with electronic music. Saying that the record was an "electronic candy" and that you need hq speakers to listen to it and etc. I kind of feel that these electronic songs were a sort of responsive behaviour from her. Remember how a lot of her fans were slightly disappointed with the heavy retro-taste of Born This Way? How a lot of us didn't seem to find those "sledge-hammering dance beats" she promised? And then there was this general idea, which was very broadly copied and translated on the forums and LM.com that her next record was meant to be her first musically progressive? How we all thought that ARTPOP was supposed to be her "Ray of Light", something electronic and fresh rather than 80s, 90s or 70s? And I think she tried to deliver that, but I personally don't cherish it a lot. I think that on that electronic side of ARTPOP, she lost melodies to the buzzy production, not to mention that both, Aura and Donatella were recorded using non-original instruments, making G.U.Y. the only song she truly wrote together with Zedd. And nothing from what she has paired on with Zedd managed to outweigh his solo efforts, Clarity seems better than most of the songs he did with Gaga. 

And don't get me wrong, I think that Swine is a great electronic song from Gaga, but it can't improve the overal quality of the other tracks. To me, those five "old school tracks" seem like an A-side of ARTPOP, and the rest feels like a "B-side". Those two parts of the record don't communicate and don't need each other, they are like separate pieces of music. And for me it's still her weakest effort which ironically contains some of her timeless songs. 

Oh My :selena:

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

Talent
2 hours ago, Craig Barnes said:

Honestly, in 2013/14 I only liked the singles - Applause, Do What You Want and G.U.Y:selena: I began to appreciate the album more in 2015 and last year I loved all of the album, except for ARTPOP title track. That is still boring as hell!

vfXLkPM.gif

🔵 - Banned because I quoted a stupid meme. Literally. So, yeah.

bumblebee
1 hour ago, T E Anne said:

i'm sorry, did you just say that venus was a B-side track? 

giphy.gif

are you INSANE? 

xIjLXh5.gif

OH MY GOD I'M FEELING VERY ATTACKED 

In point of fact, though, I don't enjoy Venus. There is something artificially calculated about its production for me, even formularic. Please have mercy on me

C1trus
15 hours ago, bumblebee said:

OH MY GOD I'M FEELING VERY ATTACKED 

In point of fact, though, I don't enjoy Venus. There is something artificially calculated about its production for me, even formularic. Please have mercy on me

giphy.gif

But why? It's her most innovative song to date (in terms of production and theme)

Spoiler

:hug:

ι'м ρυℓℓιηg үσυя sтяιηgs

bumblebee
4 minutes ago, T3rrorBlade said:

giphy.gif

But why? It's her most innovative song to date (in terms of production and theme)

Reveal hidden contents

:hug:

I guess it's because I can't feel the progression of the melody. The song is kind of carved out of five separate pieces. The verse has one melody and tempo, then comes "I can't help the way I'm feeling" which relies on a completely different tempo and pace, then those iconic "take me to your planet" which also seem to originate from some other song. The chorus is a bop but it doesn't need all the previous parts to be sung, it's a stand-alone. And the break-down is cringy for me, so I can't help but notice that Venus is like glued out of many parts that don't match into a song 

:huh:

Sister

I agree about both ARTPOP and Loud. It's probably that way, because the current pop music hasn't really changed so much uniquely, so those records fit in with the current scene, probably were even influential without them being name dropped.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

YES. Coachella confirmed this to me. The whole set was sounding sort of dated until Venus came around, and I was like wow this album just keeps on gaining dimensions.

Dayman

I regularly introduce peope to ARTPOP album tracks for the first time and they still get blown away.

LordEnigma

It is the opposite for me.

I LOVED the album when it came out but now... I rarely listen and when I do, I tend to get tired of it fast.

ugh :giveup:

I even have an ARTPOP tattoo

GypsyBabe

Yes :applause:

ARTPOP will continue to age like a fine wine and be valued more and more for its creativity, vicissitude, conceptualism, and sheer boldness. Talent always wins, and this album will end up being the highlight of her discography. An intriguing and magnetic piece of music. 

tumblr_mvb3ssuKic1s5jacpo2_500.gif

⚯͛

15jocart
5 hours ago, bumblebee said:

I guess it's because I can't feel the progression of the melody. The song is kind of carved out of five separate pieces. The verse has one melody and tempo, then comes "I can't help the way I'm feeling" which relies on a completely different tempo and pace, then those iconic "take me to your planet" which also seem to originate from some other song. The chorus is a bop but it doesn't need all the previous parts to be sung, it's a stand-alone. And the break-down is cringy for me, so I can't help but notice that Venus is like glued out of many parts that don't match into a song 

:huh:

That's the unique and experimental part of the song: it's not set in the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus pop structure. It's basically 4 or 5 songs stitched into one, which is super different (think Bohemian Rhapsody, which is essentially 3 different songs).

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

Archived