💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What "Went Wrong" During ARTPOP Era?

bobbby

Featured Posts

FrankGutz

TL/DR:

*After Applause Troy abandon her/Gagz faced depression, by this time she was suppose to star promoting DWUW (with a major performance at the Youtube Awards, she performed Dope)

*Terry Richardson & RKelly faced backlash & rape accusations while DWUW video was filmed, video cancelled

*Roar vs Applause mess, fans left Gaga for Katy, ARTPOP/Applause are called flop so a lot of ppl feel embarrased and left her

*Some trolls Perez & Angela Cheng start making troll articles & hate articles about her / media take this articles, so it seems like everyone is hating on her, media bashing her 24/7, fans leaving, Troy leaving

*Blackout for months, she released GUY with her own money for the fans, necer promotes her worst single till date, era is over & Gagz feels like **** w/depression

*finds Tony, he save her, we love her again

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anomdepllume
8 hours ago, juju said:

I think that not only was the pressure on, but Gaga had far more ideas than she knew to do with. We had the #GagaInSpace, the projects with Marina Abramović/Jeff Koons/etc, we had VOLANTIS, we had the app, we had a Gaga who was torn between doing explicitly what she wanted versus what her label wanted of her - and most of this was before the album was even released. I think, given the fragile state she was in during early 2013 following the cancellation of almost 100 shows, she was exhausted to the point that she abandoned things midway in many cases, whether it be from self-doubt or reluctance. 

Noticeably, during/after the Do What U Want debacle, she sort of retreated at the end of 2013 and early 2014, only before emerging for that performance of the title track on Jimmy Fallon in February. I feel like she took that brief period between December - following The Voice performance and the Jingle Bell Ball - and February to reinvigorate herself, hone her visions, and execute what was remaining of the era. She debuted the floor-length platinum wig, she did Roseland, she filmed one of her most epic videos for G.U.Y., and she embarked on the ArtRave. All of these things were immaculately produced and true to form for her, so by the end of the era in late 2014, she was visibly regaining confidence and trust in herself and her visions. The ARTPOP era was the first time we got to publicly watch Gaga fumble before scoring a touchdown. I think that aspect of it, in and of itself, is why the era was so special.

I'm so happy you brought up the title track performance on Fallon, because to me, that was the rebirth of the ARTPOP era, when things really started to turn around. There's such an interesting spark to that performance, it's my favorite from that time period.

On a more general note, ARTPOP was also messy in regards to the fanbase because Gaga fans always dislike new music when it's first out because it is always so different from whatever was previously released (seriously, look at the people who hated the Joanne sound until the Cure was released and suddenly Gagz sold out). Born This Way ended in a fumble because of the injury/cancellation/Marry The Night getting pulled from the radio (which I'm surprised nobody has brought up yet, that was another big part of Born This Way grinding to an unceremonious halt). Suddenly Gaga made a bunch of f#cking weird songs, by Born This Way standards anyway, some with multiple demos/leaks that Gaga may or may not have perpetrated after disagreements with management (Aura demo). We had weirdo stuff like Jewels n Drugs side by side with relatively "normal" stuff like Gypsy with even weirder stuff like Aura and satirical stuff Donatella, or just frickin dark stuff like Swine and Dope. Sonically, ARTPOP works, but thematically its all over the place, divided into weird different little mini-suites (i.e. first four tracks are like...future love sex sounds/jewels n drugs is...idk/etc. etc.) Nobody knew what to do with this album, Gaga didn't know what to do with it, and by all means, it still did pretty well. Everything about it was just....weird.

She totally found the cohesive experimentation vibe, the "ARTPOP could mean anything" sort of thing that she was always looking for with the Fallon performance, Roseland, SXSW, and eventually the tour, and then was able to get on better footing personally with her life and career after working with Tony.

Well jeez I just made a rant didn't I? Either way, that's my two cents. It was a fascinating and terrifying time to be a Gaga fan. 

I wasn't present on that ARTPOP era, since I was not into music at that point, but I feel like it's this situation:

Label / Manager / whatever the heck it is: Gaga, what shall we do to promote your singles, or any promotion?

Gaga: Oh, I know! Let's build a flying dress and name it Volantis!

Label: :poot:

GAGA || TAYLOR || BJÖRK || KENDRICK || LANA || NICKI || MADONNA || KANYE || BEYONCÉ || MARIAH || MCR || KATE || RINA || CHARLI || FIONA

Green Detox

THE PROMO. BELIEVE ME. THAT WAS THE MAIN REASONS WHY EVERYTHING CRASHED. BORN THIS WAY WAS ALSO MESSY, BUT THE INSANE PROMO CHOKED AND SHOVED THE WHOLE CONCEPT DOWN INTO EVERYBODY'S THROAT AND EVERYBODY DIDN'T HAVE ANY CHOICE BUT TO SWALLOW IT,

God Control

I'm surprise you're actually asking this, because I thought it was totally obvious. Everything went wrong during ARTPOP. From the leaked debut single and album, to the endless list of false promises (Volantis, Venus music video, Telephone sequel..etc.) to the failure of an app that she made to switching from one single to another, to not releasing a music video to DWUW, the single which she actually scrapped another single for, after months of waiting, to releasing GUY months later, after all the hype died out.

There were good songs on the album but they were totally promoted the wrong way, the visual element was short, half-assed and a mix and match from old stuff she made, or nothing totally original, all that in addition to her manager getting fired or leaver her or whatever and the mess of a promotional schedule she had.

The problem wasn't with her being a pop singer, the problem was her management team being the worst thing on the planet, the outfit, something which she's famous for, weren't as special and as original as TFM and BTW outfits were, and not to mention the lack of theme with the whole "my ARTPOP could mean anything" like no, it shouldn't have to mean anything and everything on one album, albums tend to have a theme, because they're not "greatest hits", not to mention the countless promises she made and didn't keep which made fans lose hope in ever seeing anything good coming to fruition. And don't get me started about ARTRAVE. While modern day singers seek the best technology to make visually stunning shows, she resorts to putting castles in BTW Ball and school stage performance props on ARTRAVE. What happened to the amazing art films of The Monster Ball or using massive screens to project them or bringing the best technology to make a visually stunning experience,e you know, visuals, the thing that made Gaga remarkable?

So there you go, my friend, this is why things didn't go well, and the answer to that was definitely not making a country album or whatever made-up genre you wanna call it.

I honestly ADORE ARTPOP and I was super excited for an era of total greatness, but all these setbacks destroyed a wonderful album that could've done wonders had it been given to the right hands to promote, market and present.

The Child
12 hours ago, brownie said:

Hit the nail right on the head. Couldn't have said it better. 

Her behavior for #5 is honestly to be expected from any major debut artist. They ALL get like that for the sophomore album, haha

Actually she was just way too much excited about us listening to the album. Remember she started working on ARTPOP only a few weeks after BTW was released. By 2013, she just couldn't contain herself and started being over the top when describing ARTPOP. She wasn't pretentious or arrogant at all.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Mavis Gary

Gaga had her "Golden Era" with Born This Way. Every major artist that has been around for decades have had a "Golden Era" and they only get one. It cannot be sustained. Now, she will just have to live off first single smashes and first and only one week album No. 1's.

It's possible she'll get a brief resurgence, like Madonna with "Confessions" and Cher with "Believe" but that'll be later on in her career and dependant on getting that one magical banger fall into her hands.

She's not going anywhere though, she's pretty much cemented herself has a long player and that's it.

Perfect ionist
17 hours ago, GhettoFabulous said:

•Troy left ha 

•Broken promises 

•Backlash from the media+ everyone 

• The album did good but not as good as her other albums 

• G.U.Y flopped 

• Gaga was depressed 

• The messy interviews :poot:(no shade no tea)

giphy.gif

correct me If I'm wrong in some places 

And the Do What You Want countreversy that surrounded the song

Phlop

Venus should have been the second single. Although risky, it didn't have a pedophile sex offender on the track. She performed DWUW everywhere, let's not say it was going to smash. The DWUW era was messy. Interscope should have let her release Venus (as they already forced her to release Applause) and followed with DWUW as the third single (and by then probably had the Christina collab and a more thought out single-era).

GUY shouldn't have happened over Sexxx Dreams or Gypsy or even MANiCURE.

Troy left unexpectedly.

I ACTUALLY don't think the album is that dated. If anything, Joanne is more "dated". The tracks that people don't really like (Donatella,Fashion,Swine,Etc) are the dated ones but the highlights feel somewhat timeless.

If she wasn't hated by the GP at the time, she wouldn't have "flopped". It was cool to hate Gaga then.

BYE

Phoenix

everything

she became too pretentious and was taking herself too serious

was obsessed with charts, no one would consider that era such a failure if she wasn't melting down on social media

💎

Phlop

I don't get these pretentious claims. She's always described her albums like that since the Fame. It was cringey then but she's always been excited and proud of her current work. 

Yall expect her to be like "it's alright" and "it's decent, just hear it and judge for yourself". No, she's going to say **** like "I bled my soul into this and I feel like it's the album of the generation. "

BYE

The Z

First of all, she was too "Gaga" for a Born This Way follow-up, people wanted her to be more Lady, that's when she should have released Cheek to Cheek or Joanne

Also, she was in pain and it made her awful. She probably hated herself, and showed the GP a huge ego to cover that.

Gaga was forced to make the most of the ARTPOP era, and the album turned out to be terrible at some point of view. I mean... have you heard her voice in the verses of Aura ? Horrible. The way they changed Sex Dreams, ARTPOP or even MANiCURE? Catastrophic. Her voice was ultra autotunes, and sounded bad in mort of the songs. The production was too loud. The lyrics were often bad...

The choices of singles were also bad. Do What U Want should have been the lead, with a video that is not too provocative, followed by Dope (the acoustic songs were the trend back in late 2013). And G.U.Y.... Gypsy should have been the third single, and then, maybe, Applause to close the era.

blackpink
18 hours ago, PartySick said:

Ok but that was actually my favorite performance of the era :giveup:

Probably my favorite in general :giveup:

I also appreciate it a lot more now. I was 14 when that happened and it kind of turned off her :rip: 

But looking back I love how she loves the art of absurdity unapologetically. 

FentyGa

The promo and her mental health. She wasn't able to get health because of touring.

On 4/23/2017 at 2:20 PM, juju said:

I think that not only was the pressure on, but Gaga had far more ideas than she knew to do with. We had the #GagaInSpace, the projects with Marina Abramović/Jeff Koons/etc, we had VOLANTIS, we had the app, we had a Gaga who was torn between doing explicitly what she wanted versus what her label wanted of her - and most of this was before the album was even released. I think, given the fragile state she was in during early 2013 following the cancellation of almost 100 shows, she was exhausted to the point that she abandoned things midway in many cases, whether it be from self-doubt or reluctance. 

Noticeably, during/after the Do What U Want debacle, she sort of retreated at the end of 2013 and early 2014, only before emerging for that performance of the title track on Jimmy Fallon in February. I feel like she took that brief period between December - following The Voice performance and the Jingle Bell Ball - and February to reinvigorate herself, hone her visions, and execute what was remaining of the era. She debuted the floor-length platinum wig, she did Roseland, she filmed one of her most epic videos for G.U.Y., and she embarked on the ArtRave. All of these things were immaculately produced and true to form for her, so by the end of the era in late 2014, she was visibly regaining confidence and trust in herself and her visions. The ARTPOP era was the first time we got to publicly watch Gaga fumble before scoring a touchdown. I think that aspect of it, in and of itself, is why the era was so special.

**** thanks for this, I'm gonna go back and watch some of these performances you mentioned.

I'm still so mad I lapsed from being active on here and stanning for Gaga. Thanks everyone for these responses, I really have been wondering quite a bit what everyone here thought so I appreciate! 

Used to be on here as broadwaybobby in TFM era

Archived